My comp Videos- Difficulty with Flexible Guard Player

I couldn't bear watching that human rubberband shit for more than the first minute.

You could simply leglock him too if the passing is too hard. I fought a good guardplayer last sunday in the absolute, and tried passing his guard for 3 minutes. Then I gave up and faked an over-under pass to catch him with a straight ankle lock. It was quite frustrating, as he was a lightweight and I fought in the medium-heavy.

Thank you sir , this is a very detailed response you have prepared for me . I really liked the Phil Davis type of pass , what is that called ? He is kinda sitting on Liam's leg waiting to do a under /leg drag type pass . I also do like the tozi pass and actually tried to do it in the nogi match at some point but I need more experience to work on my balance during it .

He's the only one i've seen yet do that particular flavor, so ill just call it the Davis transition. He's forcing half guard to trap the bottom leg then pulling the top leg into the back turk/hiplock position.

Pretty much every single position where you are stacking or controlling the opponents legs in some way is an opportunity to transition into the leg turk; single leg stack, double under, over under, cradles, triangle or arm bar escapes... you name it, you can see the opportunities everywhere. For example, the classic berimbolo from DLR itself works by putting yourself into a back leg turk, only upside down, whereupon you can switch the legs into the leg ride/twister hook, or just come up on top (and for that reason, i shall now from henceforth refer to so called 'berimbolo' as the Turk Roll).

Strong moves attack weak anatomy. People have a wide range of motion on the front plane, and little on the back plane; its how humanoids have evolved. Ergo, strong moves are often moves that give you a back angle; you can see it in the arm triangle, the russian 2 on 1, the duck under, the front headlock, the saddle/411, the leg drag, and more. If you look for it, you will find it.

Alignment brings strength, misalignment brings weakness. When your opponents spine is twisted and tilted, he loses his power, he becomes weak. Ergo, strong moves are often move that compromise your opponents alignment. When he is misaligned, his muscles are no longer in position to coordinate naturally, his kinetic chain becomes broken; he cannot transmit power from one point of his body to another, it gets lost into a mudhole of squish. For you or your opponent to successfully escape, counter, or execute any move at all, he must first bring himself into alignment to be able to exert force. If you look for it, you will find it.

Push pull, up down, forwards backwards; humanoids are optimized to move linearly in cardinal directions, but are weak at the sides. Ergo, strong moves are often moves that put your power against the flanks of his power, collapsing his structure, and putting him under your control. Spiral motion exposes hidden flaws. If you look for it, you will find it.

Flanking, misalignment, back angles; these three principles are key to ground fighting success.

Last edited:
I couldn't bear watching that human rubberband shit for more than the first minute.

You could simply leglock him too if the passing is too hard. I fought a good guardplayer last sunday in the absolute, and tried passing his guard for 3 minutes. Then I gave up and faked an over-under pass to catch him with a straight ankle lock. It was quite frustrating, as he was a lightweight and I fought in the medium-heavy.

Have to say that gave me a chuckle, this chap actually weighs 7 kg less than me and im a super feather so i can relate!

I must admit I don't really have much of a leg lock game but it's something Im going to look into , however I am very familier with the over under pass. Can you give me a description of the set up? Just trying to imagine it in my head :)

Thanks

He's the only one i've seen yet do that particular flavor, so ill just call it the Davis transition. He's forcing half guard to trap the bottom leg then pulling the top leg into the back turk/hiplock position.

Pretty much every single position where you are stacking or controlling the opponents legs in some way is an opportunity to transition into the leg turk; single leg stack, double under, over under, cradles, triangle or arm bar escapes... you name it, you can see the opportunities everywhere. For example, the classic berimbolo from DLR itself works by putting yourself into a back leg turk, only upside down (whereupon you can switch the legs into the leg ride/truck, or just come up on top).

Strong moves attack weak anatomy. People are strong on the front plane, and weak on the back plane; its how humanoids have evolved. Ergo, most strong moves are moves that give you a back angle; you can see it in the arm triangle, the russian 2 on 1, the duck under, the front headlock, the saddle, the leg drag, and more. If you look for it, you will find it.

Alignment brings strength, misalignment brings weakness. When your opponents spine is twisted and tilted, he loses his power, he becomes weak. Ergo, most strong moves are move that compromise your opponents alignment. When he is misaligned, his muscles are no longer in position to coordinate naturally, his kinetic chain becomes broken; he cannot transmit power from one point of his body to another, it gets lost into a mudhole of squish. For you or your opponent to successfully escape, counter, or execute any move at all, he must first bring himself into alignment to be able to exert force. If you look for it, you will find it.

Push pull, up down, forwards backwards; humanoids are optimized to move linearly in cardinal directions, but are weak at the sides. Ergo, most strong moves are moves that put your power against the flanks of his power, collapsing his structure, and putting him under your control. Spiral motion exposes hidden flaws. If you look for it, you will find it.

Flanking, misalignment, back angles; these three principles are key to ground fighting success.

Thank you again for your insight its much appreciated , I'm going to start working on this "leg tuck" type of passing as it seems methodical and I love passing from half most of the time anyway, usually for a knee cut or side smash pass .

I'll let you guys know how I get on !

Have to say that gave me a chuckle, this chap actually weighs 7 kg less than me and im a super feather so i can relate!

I must admit I don't really have much of a leg lock game but it's something Im going to look into , however I am very familier with the over under pass. Can you give me a description of the set up? Just trying to imagine it in my head :)

Thanks

4:50 ->

Finally got a video from the match I was talking about.

You can also get into the saddle/cross ankle lock position from the leg drag position as well; Gordon Ryan uses that set up often.

You can simplify a lot of these answers to two concepts you completely neglected:

Did not put his upper back on the mat
Did not move his hips off of a vertical angle.

There are a million ways to do both of these things, many of them mentioned in previous posts. How people achieve these two things is what comprises someones passing ability, but in the end, it is these two things that you did not address, and it is why he dominated guard exchanges. Flexibility had really nothing to do with why you were unable to pass.

Back