My close encounter with a skunk in my chicken coop***WITH NEW UPDATE PAGE 2***

10 ft
Muscles located next to the scent glands allow them to spray with a high degree of accuracy, as far as 3 m (10 ft). The smell aside, the spray can cause irritation and even temporary blindness, and is sufficiently powerful to be detected by a human nose up to 5.6 km (3.5 miles) down wind.

So stay at least 10 feet away from it and throw rocks or something at it and hope it run away. But if it starts chasing you, you better run. But a Skunk can only run at 10mph. Hope you're not some 300 lb teenager.

Last night, I was going out to the chicken coop on my farm. I was going to collect my eggs and close the chickens in for the night. As I got inside the chicken coop there was a skunk looking back at me stealing some eggs in one of the nesting boxes. It was already dark and all I had was a flashlight and my headlamp. I went back to the house to get my gun, but by the time I got back to the coop the skunk was running off. I always keep a cage trap close to my coop to catch varmints, but it already had a possum caught inside. Luckily I did not get sprayed in the process of this close encounter!

tenor.gif

Has anyone had a close encounter with a skunk? How did you get rid of it with out getting caught in the line of fire from the skunk spray?
I saw two skunks when I used to bike to work I hauled ass to the other side of the street I think they can only spray their oil about 15-20 feet ,personally I rather deal with racoons and possums.

Our dog cornered one by my neighbors shed a couple months ago. I saw her lunge towards something and I yelled her name to stop her, which it did. But she was about 7-8 feet from the thing and got sprayed in the face. She stunk for weeks after that. You can get rid of most of the smell but it lingers a while.

Used to ride my bike on hilly trails at night. I was going up, skunk was going down. By the time we noticed each other we were almost face to face. We both froze up for like 30 seconds. I didn’t dare move. He skittled away and I never rode there at night again. Sprays are last resorts. They don’t want to do it.

Skunks are cool. My friends dog used to play with a baby skunk in the park when we used to walk at nights.

I worked on a farm once that had a skunk problem. It was getting into the coops and not only stealing the eggs, but killing the baby ducks and baby chickens. Anyway we set cage traps and caught the biggest skunk I've ever seen in my life. This was long ago - I would never kill a skunk now and that's another story - but back then I could be ruthless. To prevent being sprayed I walked forward holding up a big blue tarp, so the skunk got the tarp and not me. Then I lay the tarp down on the cage the skunk was in, wrapped up the cage with the tarp, picked up the cage like that, went over to the pond, and....you can guess the rest. Forever bad karma. Yes I believe in that.

I worked on a farm once that had a skunk problem. It was getting into the coops and not only stealing the eggs, but killing the baby ducks and baby chickens. Anyway we set cage traps and caught the biggest skunk I've ever seen in my life. This was long ago - I would never kill a skunk now and that's another story - but back then I could be ruthless. To prevent being sprayed I walked forward holding up a big blue tarp, so the skunk got the tarp and not me. Then I lay the tarp down on the cage the skunk was in, wrapped up the cage with the tarp, picked up the cage like that, went over to the pond, and....you can guess the rest. Forever bad karma. Yes I believe in that.
Dude, that’s so fucking metal.

But seriously, damn, dude, that’s dark! Glad you wouldn’t do that now.

Those dickheads are always out in full force in October and November.. and they're always getting smashed by cars left and right.

I've almost been sprayed by a skunk many times. I've had one charge me with his butt in the air pointed right at me. One time I was trapped in my hunting cabin by a skunk. I was also driving a car & got sprayed by a skunk & the smell was so overwhelming I could hardly breath.

I hate skunks

They get run over round here once in a while and the smell lingers for a week or two. Those glands produce some toxic ass shit..

Dig a hole in the ground at a steep angle. Put a new 3 foot section of 6 inch diameter galvanized stove pipe in it with some chicken guts at the bottom. The skunk can get in but not out as the pipe will be too slippery.

Can the skunk just keep digging down into the ground to escape? Or do skunks not dig that well? Or do you have to seal the one end of the pipe?

The skunk will usually only spray if you have it cornered, because they only have a few sprays in them. Skunks are great diggers, so make sure you have wire dug down. We kept having skunks dig burrows under our concrete patio, and trapped them often. Once the trap was covered they would totally chill out. Ended up buying some Mountain Lion urine, to spook them from the patio area.

On topic I've been sprayed by a skunk, it is not fun.

FYI Skunks are not like kitties, they do not want pets.

I call bullshit Skunks make awesome pets had two growing up. Both would hug and kiss you. Litter trained as well.

Just got to have the gland removed so don't reek of a skunk. They just behind racoons and pigs IMHO.

*******Update*******

Thanks sherbros for all the great advice! So overnight, I decided to just use the resources that I had available at the time. I set up my cage trap and threw 5 milk bones inside. This morning when I went to let the chickens out, I found the skunk inside my trap. Then the skunk with his belly full, received the business end on my 12 guage shotgun. It was quick and painless! A COUNTRY BOY CAN SURVIVE!

Back