My attempts to stimulate glute and hamstring growth

How low can you squat without weight? How much would you have to put under your heels to get down below parallel? Sorry if I missed it in the logs.

Not quite as low as I can WITH weight.

I don't use plates under heals, don't need it.
My ankle flexion is very good.
It's my hip flexion and hip socket construction that's the issue.

How is the squatting going mate, have you figured a way to hit better depth?
Quick question, are those lifting shoes i.e. raised heel?

Here is my 2 cents on the video labelled TRIM_20170406_123249[2], which I believe is the most recent one:
-Are you pushing the knees out? It's hard to say from the side view, but I wonder if the knees are caving in on the way up. If I had your proportions I'd probably use a wide stance and push the knees out.
-Bar Placement, have you tried settling the bar higher on your back? Seems like a low bar from this angle; I'd give high bar a shot.
-Where is the weight on your feet throughout the lift? It should be center of the foot and outward. Not all on the heel, not all on the toes, and not rocking back and forth.
-I think your main challenge is ankle mobility. As soon as you hit your depth the heel raises because the knees can't push forward anymore.

I hope this helps.

I started with the high bar but, it inhibits my depth.

My stance is always wide, and knees go super out.
Yup - centered across the foot with the weight.

Nah ankle mobility is very good.
I think the depth is as good as it's going to get.

The other big change I've made, in addition to deep-breath-and-hold, is, slowing the descent, instead of dropping fast, cause that was hindering my form, and causing forward lean at the bottom.

I've had to go at lower weight the last few sessions, just until I get these technical issues fully ironed out.

120 for 6 reps, 4 sets.
130 for 6, 2 sets.

I trained at a different gym today, and they had this awesome leg press machine, the proper kind, where you get under it and stack plates, not just the horizontal kind where you use a pin in set weights.
Felt so much better.

Romanian DL's - are they just accessory work?

Cause I was doing 120, 130kgs fairly comfortable but - when I pushed up to 150kgs - wow - lower back feeling it.
I maintained good form but, just I think with my taller frame, it was heavy on the lower back.

Pushed it back down to 120 then 130 kgs and finished off my sets nicely, great feeling in the hams.

But it's got me thinking - is it just an accessory exercise, that's not really intended to be pushed too heavy??

Romanian DL's - are they just accessory work?

Cause I was doing 120, 130kgs fairly comfortable but - when I pushed up to 150kgs - wow - lower back feeling it.
I maintained good form but, just I think with my taller frame, it was heavy on the lower back.

Pushed it back down to 120 then 130 kgs and finished off my sets nicely, great feeling in the hams.

But it's got me thinking - is it just an accessory exercise, that's not really intended to be pushed too heavy??

Yes, to a degree it's like good mornings, it's a movement that puts your lower back at a mechanical disadvantage. Heavy is a relative term, and some guys train "disadvantage" movements pretty heavy. I've seen video of the Westside guys doing very heavy rounded-back seated good mornings. It works for them, but it's not advisable for the typical lifter. Start with a much lower weight than your usual deadlift or squat weight on all your assistance stuff and concentrate on correct, safe form. You'll still reap the benefits plus you really, really want to avoid injury as a top priority.

Another break through.

In addition to deep breath and hold, it seems if I tense up the muscle on which the bar rests - it tremendously benefits my holding the correct form, and therefore, depth - and weight I'm lifting.

Up to 150 kgs today - first time ever, without being too hard.

Felt great.

I guess that's what you guys meant when you said "tighten up".

The muscle it's resting on for low bar - is the rear delt.

Big deep breath, hold, tense up the rear delt, and my form is rock solid - then squat.

Huge improvement.

Is it possible to do a variation of romanian dead lifts - same approach - but with a sumo stance?

likely, but why?

Well I suppose what I mean is - are they done by people - like ever?

Is it a popular exercise at all?

I want to do them cause, RDL's with conventional form - basically, they don't feel as good as with Sumo form.

I really like Sumo's but, can't do them cause of mobility and low back strain, so I substitute with hex bar DL's.
But I'd like to use some form of them so, that form makes sense.

Only thing is, unracking - and then switching foot position, is awkward as hell.

I saw some chicks doing them with dumb-bells also.

I joined a new gym today.
Fucking la-dee-da.

Pretentious motherfuckers down there - pisses me right off, but I only bought one month so, if it gets to annoying, I can just bail in a few weeks.

Does anyone train in a gym like that?
These fuckheads up their own asses.
I mean - they didn't look like anything special.
I saw one dude hit some muscle ups so, a slight grade above a commercial fitness gym but, nothing anyone was doing jumped out at me.

What's the fucking deal with these people?

For the moment, I'm taking the approach - get in, get my training done, get out.
You might say, "you should talk to them bro, ease the tension".

I tried some friendly conversation, to do just that - after I clocked a guy looking at me like he'd like to put a hurting on me, for fuck knows what reason apart from his own ego - and was met with dismissive complacency.
So that's out.

Hopefully one of those dicks has a hot girlfriend that trains there so, maybe I can bed her down at some point, just to piss them off.
That's what's up!

Last edited:
I banged that into youtube - "sumo romanian deadlift".

Ever, single, fucking, video - is a woman doing it.
Apparently it's a woman orientated exercise.

Apparently guys don't do it.

Well - you know what I said at the top?
My ass must be better than their ass - for indifference?

That's what's up chicks!

I'm here to beat you at your own game!

This new gym I joined - it has this SHIT hex bar.

Fucking thing is huge.

It's so wide you can't get the correct posture with it.
It's just like a regular straight bar but with bizarre grips.

So I had to elevate it to bring it to normal hex bar status.

Did anyone ever use a bar like this?

It's pissed me right off.
I think I'm gonna finish off the month and look elsewhere for a place to train.

And not to mention, the :eek::eek::eek:s that train there.

I'd honestly like to crack a couple of them on the jaw.
And they're shit weight lifters.
I wouldn't even classify them as weight lifters or athletes.
They're just dipshits that go to the gym, prance around, make shapes in front of the mirror; two of the fucktards were actually kicking a football around the gym today, like it was 5-a-side soccer pitch.

Who the fuck raises these people?

And not to mention, the :eek::eek::eek:s that train there.

I'd honestly like to crack a couple of them on the jaw.
And they're shit weight lifters.
I wouldn't even classify them as weight lifters or athletes.
They're just dipshits that go to the gym, prance around, make shapes in front of the mirror; two of the fucktards were actually kicking a football around the gym today, like it was 5-a-side soccer pitch.

Who the fuck raises these people?

I know how you feel. It's best that you ignore them.

Hilarious thing here.

Everyone is telling me I'm getting bigger.
Much bigger.
In the upper body.

The only upper body work I'm doing this weather, is body weight exercises.
I haven't benched or OHPressed in weeks.

It's either trap bar DL's, low bar squats (which I'm delighted with since learning how to tighten up properly - thank you sherdog), romanian DL's, and leg press.

In terms of weight lifting, that's all I'm doing.

Huge results.

Oh yeah - and occasionally some cable work with body weight, when my legs/glutes, need a rest.

I'm really coming into my own with these low bar squats.

I haven't taped myself in a while but, I certainly feel happy with my depth.

Above 130kgs - I find I have to lower the reps.

I always tried to maintain 6 reps but, my body was crying out so, 140 kgs, I dropped to 5.
And 150 kgs, I dropped to 3.

My trap bar deadlifts shot up yesterday as well.

Went from 210 kgs for 3, to 225 kgs for 3.

Had a heavy session yesterday - which I wasn't expecting but, my body is certainly feeling it today.

Went:

15 dips.
10 hand stand press ups.
10 one hand press ups each arm.

Hex bar dead lifts.
185 kgs x 3
195 kgs x 3
205 kgs x 3
210 kgs x 3
220 kgs x 3
225 kgs x 3 - 2x

Then legs press - 5 plates either side - 4 sets.

Bench
90 kgs x 6 - 2 sets
100 kgs x 6 - 1 set

Since I started working on my ass/legs - I haven't done any chest or upper body at all. Yesterday was the first time working back into it so, I'm not going heavy there, or my CNS will fry.

Clean pulls:
90kgs x 3 - 3x
95 kgs x 3 - 2x

Power snatches:
60 kgs x 3 - 2x
65 kgs x 2 - 2x

Then I finished off with sets of conditioning sprints, 2.5 minutes each set.
3 sets.

And then yesterday evening I was moving apartment, which was like another work out - so if I can haul my lame carcass out of bed today at all, I will be surprised.

Monday and Wednesday, did heavy squats, RDL's, leg press, and sprints - so today, I just needed to leave the legs alone a little.

Did 3x body weight circuits.

- 15 dips
- 10 hand stand press ups
- 5 muscle ups on rings
- 10 one hand press ups either side.

Then some leg press - just to get a little in.
6 plates each side - 4 sets of 6.

Then 3 conditioning sprints of 2 minutes each.

I taped my squats on wednesday.

Will post that later - to show where I'm at now.
Like I said though - compared to where I was - I'm super happy with them now.

PS - A new word I've recently added to my vocab, is "Biznatch".

Oh yeah - my new apartment, which I just moved into - I share a balcony with this hot ass little chick.

I told her I worked as a personal trainer - which I most certainly do fucking not.

By the end of our conversation, she was asking could I be her personal trainer.
How dafuq Ima get myself out of this one - without looking like a bare faced liar??

Back