My affair with the intellectual dark web by Meghan Daum

jeffk

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
https://medium.com/s/greatescape/nuance-a-love-story-ae6a14991059

This a long but well written and easy to read article about Daum's journey into the Intellectual dark web.

Cliff notes

She was in a dead end relationship with her husband and started listening to people on youtube that she didn't see on the mainstream media. The Glenn Loury Show, Joe Rogan, Sam Harris podcast, Rubin Show and shows with the Weinstein brothers.

She got a divorce and her husband got into a new relationship and she dove deep into the IDW as she didn't relate to many on the left who went full SJW and she thought lacked nuance. Ultimately she realized she enjoyed listening to people who shared her same ideological perspective because she felt less ideologically lonely, but she is now worried that since the geeky kids have become popular they are now getting too chummy and acting like their own tribal group.

Last edited:
I guess we should congratulate her on her ascent to intellectual mediocrity.

I guess we should congratulate her on her ascent to intellectual mediocrity.
You consider Harris, Peterson, and the Weinstein Bros to be of mediocre intellect?

Can we all agree that "intellectual dark web" is one of the cringiest terms in recent memory that needs to be forgotten as soon as possible?

Also here's the author
1*14cBYWZXx8M_PFTVYsR03Q.jpeg

Looks like quite the battleslut doesn't she @waiguoren?

But those guys are all centrists who are really really careful not to offend.

Can we all agree that "intellectual dark web" is one of the cringiest terms in recent memory that needs to be forgotten as soon as possible?

Also here's the author
1*14cBYWZXx8M_PFTVYsR03Q.jpeg

Looks like quite the battleslut doesn't she @waiguoren?
Definitely looks like an IDWer

You consider Harris, Peterson, and the Weinstein Bros to be of mediocre intellect?
lol what? anyway,

She watched a lot of YT videos. Good for her. She doesn't say anything interesting, it's as if she compiled every known talking point into one superblogpost. She also has no style.

Isn't the IDW just controlled opposition?

The mainstream essentially portrays the IDW as edgy and dangerous in an attempt to build it into the destination for those rebellious and fed up people who stray off the mainstream plantation.

As Chomsky said, you control the debate by narrowing the spectrum of acceptable dialogue, but you allow for vigorous debate within that spectrum so people don't realize the spectrum has been limited.

Ultimately, the IDW is generally within the mainstream spectrum so even if people abandon the mainstream right and left narrative for the IDW, they are still on the plantation but don't realize. And they have been pre-empted from discovering or embracing those dialogues the mainstream truly seeks to prohibit and supress.

Peterson, Rubin, Shapiro, maybe Candice Owens can fit in with them are one end of the IDW or free youtubers as she calls them.

Harris, Weinstein bros, McWhorter, Haider, Haidt, guys like Mark Lilla are the other end.

Rogan will have any of them on his show.

I like the second group.

lol what? anyway,

She watched a lot of YT videos. Good for her. She doesn't say anything interesting, it's as if she compiled every known talking point into one superblogpost. She also has no style.
I read the whole thing, would not recommend.

@waiguoren?

Eric Weinstein made it up a a joke on a Harris podcast. She wants to call the podcasters the Free Speech YouTubers, which I don't think is any better.

Back