Muslim Woman's Artwork Removed from Canadian University for being offensive to Muslims

I got the impression you feel art should be aesthetically pleasing.
If it's visual art than it absolutely should be. Try not to confuse a definition of art in its entirety with setting some much needed objective standards.

Otherwise things like in the OP should be considered statements....brave ones.

I define art much more widely. I do not think that the artist needs to even try to make something aesthetically pleasing for it to be art. The problem with objective standards on aesthetics is that they are impossible to agree on.

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?

There was a piece called Piss Christ or something like that. Yes, Christians were offended. No, we didnt call for it to be sensored.

I kind of think that if you're going to a school called 'the Ontario College of Art and Design', you should be a little more open to things like, you know... art. Getting offended shouldn't be your go-to setting.

I'm not following you. Does Dunham's father have a female butthole fetish?

There's nothing I find more worthy of being considered artistic and empowering of woman than tumblr feminists spreading their butts.

#art

That's not what I would call artwork.

I would call it a piece of trash that belongs in a garbage can.

I define art much more widely. I do not think that the artist needs to even try to make something aesthetically pleasing for it to be art. The problem with objective standards on aesthetics is that they are impossible to agree on.
Not true actually. Meaning is subjective but aesthetics/beauty is about symmetry (among other things). In my opinion , it's the fact that there are no standards and also people like you who have way too broad a view of what art can be that has led to this mess we call modern art.

Take the OP for instance. The prayer mat seems beautiful enough but the ideology that it stems from is disgusting. The actual "art" is supposedly what's painted over it which is a naked woman's body. Now there is a new meaning to it which is significant to a degree but the aesthetics are gross. Just because there is a message that may be profound it does not make it art nor beautiful. Powerful maybe but as visual art it's absolute trash.

Thats dumb. Shes trying to piss people off for the sake of pissing people off. I agree with the university.

Last edited:
Not true actually. Meaning is subjective but aesthetics/beauty is about symmetry (among other things). In my opinion , it's the fact that there are no standards and also people like you who have way too broad a view of what art can be that has led to this mess we call modern art.

Take the OP for instance. The prayer mat seems beautiful enough but the ideology that it stems from is disgusting. The actual "art" is supposedly what's painted over it which is a naked woman's body. Now there is a new meaning to it which is significant to a degree but the aesthetics are gross. Just because there is a message that may be profound it does not make it art nor beautiful. Powerful maybe but as visual art it's absolute trash.

We are going to disagree here. For instance, the very beautiful and valuable antique tea pot I was gifted when I got married in Japan is valuable for, among other things, the fact that a slight defect has made is asymmetrical. In painting one need only look at works like Van Gogh's Starry Night to see that symmetry is not necessary for many art experts to determine that art is high quality.

Also, what do you mean "mess" of modern art. I love modern art. In fact I sit on the board of a fairly large art museum. I don't think art can really ever be a mess since appreciation is subjective and consumption purely voluntary. Sure, some may be better than others, but it is still art. It's like complaining about the "mess" of Asian Fusion cuisine vs traditional Asian cuisine. I think we can agree that they are both food and let folks like whichever on they want.

Last edited:
If you're looking for Canada to have a backbone in standing up for freedom of expression, don't hold your breath.

Comedians get sued for jokes up here.

anyone who portrayed mohamed as a dog deserve a bullet in his head like that french artist. Play silly games and all

Drawing a picture should = murder?

You are disgusting. What ever happened to being an adult and not murdering people over pictures? You have very low expectations for Muslims.

We are going to disagree here. For instance, the very beautiful and valuable antique tea pot I was gifted when I got married in Japan is valuable for, among other things, the fact that a slight defect has made is asymmetrical. In painting one need only look at works like Van Gogh's Starry Night to see that symmetry is not necessary for many art experts to determine that art is high quality.

You need to stop lingering on every word that I say. There are many attributes that make something valuble but there aren't many as to what makes something beautiful. If you find beauty in something that's fine but to take a shit and then wrap it in time foil and call it art only because one idiot finds it "beautiful" does not hold up as art. I find many things beautiful, women giving birth for instance. That's beautiful but it's not art and it's certainly not aesthetically pleasing. We need to stop attaching our own meaning to things and calling it art. And of course symmetry isn't the only metric to conventional beauty when talking about visual art but it is by far the largest indicator of it and people who are in denial of this have a problem with reality.

Also, what do you mean "mess" of modern art.
Conceptual art that artistic snobs hold as the highest standard and if you don't understand their garbage you are the misinformed Individual. There is art today that is stunning but they are not in the spot light like the other idiots are. Oh you puked on a canvas and now we are supposed to extrapolate some profound underlying meaning to it and if we don't we simply haven't expanded our minds enough.......yea no thanks.
I think we can agree that they are both food and let folks like whichever on they want
No one is stopping them from consuming anything but do not pretend that their isn't objectively bad food and objectively good food. By your logic absolutely anything no matter how grotesque can be considered art, I refuse to believe that.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chr...er-mat-too-provocative-for-ontario-art-school

What a bunch of cowards.

ocad-1.png

I'd jizz on it.

Back