Muslim Woman's Artwork Removed from Canadian University for being offensive to Muslims

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by EndlessCritic, Mar 8, 2018.

1. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

That's a cop-out argument from the University, because art had more than 1 interpretation. Viewers can interpret it differently to what the artist had in mind. The artist herself could interpret it different ways or even give it an open ended interpretation, to get people to think, and interpret it how they wish.

The university is trying to come up with an excuse so that they can avoid admitting they capitulated.

2. Falsedawn

Falsedawn destroy Platinum Member

I think it's a fair compromise to remove it temporarily to allow the artist to have a say. Absent any further knowledge, the only narrative on the board are the people that are offended. When the artist gives a little background, then you have both sides on the record and can defer to individual interpretations of what it means. You can call it a capitulation if you want, but it's really not that serious.

We're not even going to get into the fact that people freaking out over sensitive art is nothing knew. Christians flipped shit with Piss Christ (like, destroying stuff), but nobody acted like all Christians and the "religious menace" were censoring art.

Rebound59 likes this.
  3. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

Whatever the artist's narrative, the University is pandering to Muslim bullying. It is the norm in the East for Muslims to demand XYZ sentiment or content be removed and or the creator punished because Muslim sensitivities were offended. Muslim sensibilities being offended is a common argument put forth by Muslims to censor any narrative they don't like.

The difference with Christians is that people can say anything against them and nothing much happens. Christians are expected to bit their tongue and deal with it.

uppercutbus likes this.
  4. Falsedawn

Falsedawn destroy Platinum Member

Neither of you are any better than the other. Both sides are shit. Nay, the shittiest. Cool?

Because that still doesn't change that requesting an explanation is a fairly reasonable response to some unattributed and deliberately provocative art.

<Fedor23>

Rebound59 and trolololol like this.
  5. lifelessheap

lifelessheap Silver Belt

[​IMG]

Don't you know that PISS CHRIST won multiple awards. Jesus on the cross in fucking piss.

6. woodguyatl

woodguyatl Purple Belt

You seem to have a very narrow definition of art.

7. Kafir-kun

Kafir-kun Three Tailed Pasha

Democratic People's Islamic Republic of Kekistan
    I don't think some art is appropriate for certain settings like a university and the piss Christ and this boobie rug are two examples of what I'd consider inappropriate. An art gallery, where the piss Christ was displayed, is a different story and I think its fine there.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Rebound59 likes this.
  8. ShinkanPo

ShinkanPo 風 林 火 山

Salvador Dali was exhumed last year to check his Dna for a paternal dispute, because a woman came up and claimed she is the ilegitimate daughter of Salvador.

When they opened the coffin they found out.

He is still dead.

9. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

They have done far worse in Sweden and there were a handful of peaceful protests because they showed such photos in one of the most sacred churches here. But when an "artist" portrayed Muhammad as a dog, all hell broke loose.

JudoThrowFiasco and PrinceOfPain like this.
  10. Gervinho

Gervinho Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

anyone who portrayed mohamed as a dog deserve a bullet in his head like that french artist. Play silly games and all

11. Son of Jamin

Do you feel the same about artists that portray Jesus in equally poor fashion given that all prophets in Islam are equals?

12. Bald1

Bald1 Radical Centrist

Are people really comparing a yoga mat with a boob drawn on it to a depiction of gods last minutes on earth submerged in urine? Lol. Gtfoh.

Yeah, I made light of one and played up the other, but there's no comparison. Perhaps the quran or hadith in a jar of piss? Even that isn't the same as books aren't the same as depictions of people. Would anyone care if an "artist" purchased a church pew and decorated it with nude forms? No, absolutely not.

It's a fucking mat you kneel on. Give me a fucking break.

13. Gervinho

yes.....obviously I dont believe jesus is gods son. But I respect jesus and I know millions of people across the world he means even more to. So if I see an asshole who goes out of his way to insult or do provocative pictures of him in order to get reaction. They that person deserve what they get. Dont go over your way to be an asshole to people or deal with the consequences. I know its not the democratic thing to say and in an ideal world we should do and say what we want. But i live in the real world. I dont go over my way to piss people off because sooner or later I expect a reaction.

Speaking of that french artist who kept making those pics of mohamed. For him it was something worth dying for. The right to insult people was worth life. But what has changed since his death? People mourned him few days and said ooh thats shame and we had the usual social media praise for few days with I am Je3 suis Charlie. Then life moves on. Its his family who has to live with the loss....rest of us we dont give fuck anymore.

14. Son of Jamin

I feel nothing but contempt towards people that are going out of their way to insult and ridicule other people's belief but as a believer, the response belongs to God/Allah, He can deal with such.

15. Gervinho

I agree. Personally I wouldnt kill a person for insulting my belief. I would just walk out of there and not even entertain that nonsense as its the reaction that they are looking for.......but I also know people are different and some people react different. My point is when you go over your way to insult people, just keep in mind some people have no problem hurting you and ask yourself is it really worth it. Saying in a free society I have that right is kinda pointless, cause that person who has no problem hurting you dont care for rights.

Son of Jamin likes this.
  16. alanb

alanb Brown Belt

Remember the two martyrs in Texas who stormed Culver Center during the First Annual Muhammad Art Exhibit and Contest? Sure they died but in death they reminded the people of Texas of the true face of Islam. Wasn't that worth dying for? Aren't there some things worth dying for?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtis_Culwell_Center_attack

17. MicroBrew

MicroBrew Steel Belt

One of the features of Art is to be provocative. Asking for an explanation isn't wrong, but taking it down because a Muslim group got offended is.

18. Bloodworth

Bloodworth Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

The old flying carpet is retired...
    Those things were fun to ride back in the day...

19. Hard To Tell

Hard To Tell Brown Belt

What a fucking filthy, lowlife scumbag you are.

trolololol likes this.
  20. Gervinho

Thats not a nice thing to say.....I still love you as hard to tell that is.