Muslim Woman's Artwork Removed from Canadian University for being offensive to Muslims

Your comprehension sucks dick. That's simply an objective starting point for idiots like you who lose themselves while watching a plastic bag flying around a court yard saying "I...it....it's so beautiful"

You guys hijacked the art world for long enough. Go take your garbage else where.

My comprehension just surpasses your ability to make a point.

Your starting point doesn't lead anywhere. ''Art is something that can't be made by a child.'' *admits children can make art in the next post*

What is there to comprehend?

That's why I like her so much. Using water color is hard enough and she does it very well.

Yeah watercolors can look awesome, but a lot of the time when people use them they look too washed out for my taste. The way that Zombie uses them they are vibrant and bold. I'm color blind, so a lot of the time I appreciate boldness.

I am completely against censoring art, regardless of who it offends.

I also kind of like that piece of art. Painting a nude female body on an Islamic prayer mat is a fairly interesting idea. You have the beauty of a prayer mat, and you have the beauty of the female body. Yet seeing them together brings a feeling of taboo, instead of anything that you would feel seeing them separately. The Islamic culture is full of beauty, I think they have some of the most beautiful art and architecture in the world. Yet the culture tends to reject, conceal, or create a taboo around the beauty of the human body?

I like it, they should have kept it. I mean it's not exactly subtle, but nobody should be apologizing for art. Some people will think it's dumb, some will think it's great, some will be offended. That's kind of the point.
I think its completely stupid, like the piss jar of Christ. She presumably did not craft the carpet itself, the only part that takes skill and is actually beautiful. The nude drawing over it is hardly anything to write home about, the impact comes from its contrast to the carpet. The female body is indeed beautiful but not the way its rendered in this piece, its an elementary level of art.

Not saying it should be taken down for being offensive but I'm more defensive of provocative art that is actually good and not shit like this. Both the piss jar of Christ and this can get thrown in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I think its good to resist religious hypersensitivity but this is not the hill to die on IMO.

I think its completely stupid, like the piss jar of Christ. She presumably did not craft the carpet itself, the only part that takes skill and is actually beautiful. The nude drawing over it is hardly anything to write home about, the impact comes from its contrast to the carpet. The female body is indeed beautiful but not the way its rendered in this piece, its an elementary level of art.

Not saying it should be taken down for being offensive but I'm more defensive of provocative art that is actually good and not shit like this. Both the piss jar of Christ and this can get thrown in the trash as far as I'm concerned. I think its good to resist religious hypersensitivity but this is not the hill to die on IMO.
You also REALLY have to look hard to find the nude body too.

Probably not, but I couldn't think of a similar artifact for Christians since we don't use rugs, and i don't know how significant or central prayer rugs are to the Muslim faith.
Everything is significant and central to the Muslim faith. Can't draw pictures of Mo on the threat of death. Insulting the prophet will get you put on a kill list. Leaving the faith will do the same. Atheism is a punishable offense in many Islamic countries. Women showing skin, or not wearing head coverings will see them tossed in jail as well. Can't listen to music, have the sexes congregate, or enjoy anything that might draw attention away from the faith.

None of these things are laws in their holy books, but is the end result of a supremacist and insecure ideology that is completely intolerant of any scrutiny. The aim is complete obedience and that is reinforced 5 times a day of doing the same thing as the rest of the hive mind, as is Ramadan.

Yes, yes, yes. #not all, duh. But enough that anything that might cast aspersions on Islam is looked upon as heresy and the purity of Islam is enforced by followers willing to go to further lenghts than any other religious folks. Hence its special protected status. The original crybullies playing victim and oppressor both. Fundamental Islam is a cancer.

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?
Of course they would, one need only see how many countries banned The Da Vinci Code. Even in Muslim countries where its banned its often in countries with significant Christian minorities like Egypt and Syria.

But at least in the case of The Da Vinci Code, both the book and film, it was a piece that required effort whereas this rug piece or the piss jar of Christ are simply low effort pieces meant to provoke. Not saying they don't deserve protection but I also don't care if such "art" is dumped either.

Of course they would, one need only see how many countries banned The Da Vinci Code. Even in Muslim countries where its banned its often in countries with significant Christian minorities like Egypt and Syria.

But at least in the case of The Da Vinci Code, both the book and film, it was a piece that required effort whereas this rug piece or the piss jar of Christ are simply low effort pieces meant to provoke. Not saying they don't deserve protection but I also don't care if such "art" is dumped either.
I've never really understood the way Christians got so bent out of shape about that book/movie.

Mary Magdalene, if you take the Bible literally (to a point) WAS real... like, I just don't get why they're so bent about it but I didn't grow up religious at all given my dad's family told the Catholic Church to fuck off an my mom is from Japan.

I've never really understood the way Christians got so bent out of shape about that book/movie.

Mary Magdalene, if you take the Bible literally (to a point) WAS real... like, I just don't get why they're so bent about it but I didn't grow up religious at all given my dad's family told the Catholic Church to fuck off an my mom is from Japan.
Its been a while since I've read the book but IIRC the story revolves around a conspiracy surrounding a Vatican cover up of a sexual relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus so I can see why it would be controversial.

Its interesting to see how many Muslims countries banned it under pressure from Christian minorities. At least they're consistent when it comes to art that offend religious sensibilities...

But, give them Jesus in a jar of piss, and they would celebrate it!

My comprehension just surpasses your ability to make a point.

Your starting point doesn't lead anywhere. ''Art is something that can't be made by a child.'' *admits children can make art in the next post*

What is there to comprehend?
We are talking about good art here. This is the error in your calculation, you have no idea how clueless you are to what GOOD art is.

But, give them Jesus in a jar of piss, and they would celebrate it!
Neither should be because they're both awful, low effort pieces designed primarily for offense.

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?

Sure they would say something but that's all they would do unlike Muslims.

Sure they would say something but that's all they would do unlike Muslims.

This Muslim group made a complaint and asked that it be taken down.

You think Christians wouldn't do that? Christians have held rallies to oppose sex education, to prevent birth control availability, and to stop women from breast feeding in public. They had demonstrations outside the Book of Mormon.

Like I think I said earlier, nearly all of First Amendment law comes from conservative Christian groups bitching and petitioning the government to censor people.

Its been a while since I've read the book but IIRC the story revolves around a conspiracy surrounding a Vatican cover up of a sexual relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus so I can see why it would be controversial.

Its interesting to see how many Muslims countries banned it under pressure from Christian minorities. At least they're consistent when it comes to art that offend religious sensibilities...
From what I remember it's that Jesus had a child was the big thing.

This Muslim group made a complaint and asked that it be taken down.

You think Christians wouldn't do that? Christians have held rallies to oppose sex education, to prevent birth control availability, and to stop women from breast feeding in public. They had demonstrations outside the Book of Mormon.

Like I think I said earlier, nearly all of First Amendment law comes from conservative Christian groups bitching and petitioning the government to censor people.

I got you problem with them asking but it's different when you insult Christians .

You remember when piss Christ was touring from gallery to gallery. And the "art" world defended not removed it

I don't like the colors, that green is not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Neither is the red spray paint over the green.

<DisgustingHHH>

Red & green sounds like Christmas.

I have Salvador Dali above Picasso.. some might consider me insane because of that.

Dali is GOAT painter.

Oh, contraire mon frere. Half of our country's public decency laws are in response to Christian bitching. In 2004 (I think?) a kid got expelled from high school for a sign that said "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

How much did the illegal drug advocacy aspect factor in?

Neither should be because they're both awful, low effort pieces designed primarily for offense.

Yet the Jesus in a jar of piss was allowed to be displayed for months with Leftists celebrating the "free speech". I know this is Canada, but the double standard is easy to see.

We are talking about good art here. This is the error in your calculation, you have no idea how clueless you are to what GOOD art is.
You have finally settled the debate on what constitutes good art???

Back