Muslim Woman's Artwork Removed from Canadian University for being offensive to Muslims

Does a rug represent the same thing for whoever, that a portrait of Jesus does to some?

Probably not, but I couldn't think of a similar artifact for Christians since we don't use rugs, and i don't know how significant or central prayer rugs are to the Muslim faith.

there definitely is great deal of "subjectivity" when it comes to art.

I mean, I have Salvador Dali above Picasso.. some might consider me insane because of that.

Yeah, and some people prefer death metal to classical music. Does that make them idiots? No, it's just subjective. Sometimes things just connect with you and other things don't. Personally, I really like the piece of art mentioned in this story. It's pretty cool for an art student.

Sounds like some of you are looking at the painting and wishing that it looked prettier, but you are probably missing the point. Not all art is made to be aesthetically pleasing, sometimes it's the exact opposite.

I mean, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like death metal. I'd expect some more open mindedness when it comes to art.

I don't wish it to be any different than it is. I just plain don't think it looks good.

I don't wish it to be any different than it is. I just plain don't think it looks good.

Perfectly fair. It looks awful to me. But I think it's supposed to look awful. I think the point was for it to clash, for it to be jarring.

I don't think much of it as art but I don't like censorship even in things I don't like.

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?
They do but no one gives a shit when they do.

Remember someone took a bucket of piss and placed a Crucifix in it and it was on display over objections and requests to remove it for months.

They do but no one gives a shit when they do.

Oh, contraire mon frere. Half of our country's public decency laws are in response to Christian bitching. In 2004 (I think?) a kid got expelled from high school for a sign that said "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

Also, art like this would probably be protected from state action/suppression (assuming this is a public university) in the United States.

I am completely against censoring art, regardless of who it offends.

I also kind of like that piece of art. Painting a nude female body on an Islamic prayer mat is a fairly interesting idea. You have the beauty of a prayer mat, and you have the beauty of the female body. Yet seeing them together brings a feeling of taboo, instead of anything that you would feel seeing them separately. The Islamic culture is full of beauty, I think they have some of the most beautiful art and architecture in the world. Yet the culture tends to reject, conceal, or create a taboo around the beauty of the human body?

I like it, they should have kept it. I mean it's not exactly subtle, but nobody should be apologizing for art. Some people will think it's dumb, some will think it's great, some will be offended. That's kind of the point.
art.....lool that trash is not art ffs

Oh, contraire mon frere. Half of our country's public decency laws are in response to Christian bitching. In 2004 (I think?) a kid got expelled from high school for a sign that said "Bong Hits 4 Jesus."

Also, art like this would probably be protected from state action/suppression (assuming this is a public university) in the United States.
Unique thing though is on public school grounds if you're a student you TECHNICALLY lose your 1st Amendment rights and a ton of other shit while there though don't you?

I honestly don't give two shits but I just can't get over how Muslim student groups and fucking CAIR get so bent out of shape over things like South Park drawing Muhammad what was it, almost 8-10 years ago for their like 100th episode (never mind they drew Muhammad to no issue in like their second season). THEY WEREN'T EVEN RIDICULING THE GUY they were just going to have him show up in the episode next to like Santa or some shit.

Ok. What is art?
2d377cde00c964486b042a961366d590.jpg

Goddamnit I want to go to Zion again.

Unique thing though is on public school grounds if you're a student you TECHNICALLY lose your 1st Amendment rights and a ton of other shit while there though don't you?

Absolutely not. The exact opposite is true.

I believe the quote from the Supreme court was something like, "You do not shed their rights at the school house gate."

Absolutely not. The exact opposite is true.

I believe the quote from the Supreme court was something like, "You do not shed their rights at the school house gate."
Then what about shit like searches without a warrant and shit?

I can't remember how many times I saw administration having the janitor open up a kid's locker looking for pot with no cops or warrant nearby.

There's a reason that people are very quick to remove art that offends Muslims.

Just go ask the average Muslim their thoughts on what happened to the Charlie Hebdo staff and you'll be hard pressed to find any real sympathy. I remember immediately after the Charlie Hebodo massacre a poll done on Muslims in Britain showed that something like 30% supported or at least sympathized with the killers.

Absolute madness the future we are creating for ourselves.

Last edited:
Then what about shit like searches without a warrant and shit?

I can't remember how many times I saw administration having the janitor open up a kid's locker looking for pot with no cops or warrant nearby.

That is not the 1st amendment, that would be the 4th amendment. We do searches at airports, sporting events, schools, etc.

This has been to the Supreme Court and it was ruled that searches are constitutional if they are not unreasonable or excessively intrusive. If a student feels that search was unreasonable or excessively intrusive (strip search, for example) then that student is fully able to sue the school system and may be able to win the case. It has happened before.

That is not the 1st amendment, that would be the 4th amendment. We do searches at airports, sporting events, schools, etc.

This has been to the Supreme Court and it was ruled that searches are constitutional if they are not unreasonable or excessively intrusive.
I realize that searches aren't the first but my understanding was on school grounds, when you're a student, a ton of your rights are either taken away or severely hampered.

I just threw the 1st out there as essentially a placeholder.

Back