Muslim Woman's Artwork Removed from Canadian University for being offensive to Muslims

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chr...er-mat-too-provocative-for-ontario-art-school

The formal complaint came from the Muslim Student Association at the school, which over the weekend issued a statement with several demands — the immediate removal of the piece, an investigation into how it was approved and “whether this was done out of ignorance or not” and an official apology from the university “that this piece was approved for display.”

“As a Muslim community,” the statement said, “we feel greatly offended, concerned and disappointed.
What a bunch of cowards.

ocad-1.png

On one end I think Islam needs to be ridiculed out of existence...on the other, shitty art needs the same happen to it.

Not sure how I feel.

In its place is a notice, apparently from the curators and jurors of the show, saying that absent knowing “the intent of the work that was previously hanging in this space,” they had decided to “remove it temporarily … until a statement from the artist can accompany it.”

<1>

I got punished for making art like that on my parents' carpets too.

I am completely against censoring art, regardless of who it offends.

I also kind of like that piece of art. Painting a nude female body on an Islamic prayer mat is a fairly interesting idea. You have the beauty of a prayer mat, and you have the beauty of the female body. Yet seeing them together brings a feeling of taboo, instead of anything that you would feel seeing them separately. The Islamic culture is full of beauty, I think they have some of the most beautiful art and architecture in the world. Yet the culture tends to reject, conceal, or create a taboo around the beauty of the human body?

I like it, they should have kept it. I mean it's not exactly subtle, but nobody should be apologizing for art. Some people will think it's dumb, some will think it's great, some will be offended. That's kind of the point.

Censorship of art is absurd. It's pretty pathetic that they removed the piece.

First sentence of the article:

"The 'safe space' people have struck again at another Ontario university campus."

Yeah, I'm not inclined to trust the comprehensiveness and objectivity of this report, given how many times articles like these leave out crucial information so that they can get their readers' outrage boners at full mass.

In its place is a notice, apparently from the curators and jurors of the show, saying that absent knowing “the intent of the work that was previously hanging in this space,” they had decided to “remove it temporarily … until a statement from the artist can accompany it.”

<1>

<WellThere>

I think it should be taken down as well

not because it's offensive, but because it sucks

At first, I was like- "Come on, its art."

Then I scrolled down and saw the "art." Take that shit down.

Literally the only reason I know this piece of art exists is because it created controversy and was removed.

Remember kids, any publicity is good publicity.

I think it should be taken down as well

not because it's offensive, but because it sucks

At first, I was like- "Come on, its art."

Then I scrolled down and saw the "art." Take that shit down.

It's a student art show, at an art school. It's not hanging in their lobby above the receptionist desk or anything.

If that passes for art I flushed some "art" down the toilet this morning.

On the other hand, I like watching supposed moderate muslims flip their shit when people poke fun/make jokes at their religions expense so.........

I'm going to have tacos for lunch.

It's a student art show, at an art school. It's not hanging in their lobby above the receptionist desk or anything.
Trudeau, TEAR DOWN that painting!

If that passes for art I flushed some "art" down the toilet this morning.

On the other hand, I like watching supposed moderate muslims flip their shit when people poke fun/make jokes at their religions expense so.........

I'm going to have tacos for lunch.

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?

There's a reason that people are very quick to remove art that offends Muslims.

I don't like the colors, that green is not aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Neither is the red spray paint over the green.

<DisgustingHHH>

If someone took a portrait of Jesus on the cross and painted a naked dude on top of it, you don't think moderate Christians might say something?

Does a rug represent the same thing for whoever, that a portrait of Jesus does to some?

Sounds like some of you are looking at the painting and wishing that it looked prettier, but you are probably missing the point. Not all art is made to be aesthetically pleasing, sometimes it's the exact opposite.

I mean, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like death metal. I'd expect some more open mindedness when it comes to art.

Sounds like some of you are looking at the painting and wishing that it looked prettier, but you are probably missing the point. Not all art is made to be aesthetically pleasing, sometimes it's the exact opposite.

I mean, I've noticed a lot of people on this forum like death metal. I'd expect some more open mindedness when it comes to art.

there definitely is great deal of "subjectivity" when it comes to art.

I mean, I have Salvador Dali above Picasso.. some might consider me insane because of that.

Back