Music you would like but the lyrics ruin it for you?

DannyNL

The King is BACK, baby!
Banned
Reaction score
I grew up loving Rage Against the Machine, but when I was a kid I didn't realize that they were celebrating tyrants and cop killers and communism. I was 12 and just liked the fact that he seemed angry about something and was rallying against "the man". I still love them musically and think Morello is one of the most innovative guitarists of all time, but I get douche chills from their message.

Also grew up listening to a lot of punk, but when I got old enough to understand how stupid anarchy and ultra leftist tendencies were, a lot of it lost it's magic.

Has any of your favorite music from when you were a kid soured with age?

I really want to stare at her, but can’t get beyond her lack of talent and offensive lyrics...

Lyrics really aren't important if the music is good.

I listen to a lot of shit by bands from non English speaking countries,they butcher the language..but who cares...if the music is played with passion.

Leftist Punk Rock bullshit lyrics and Racist Country Music bullshit lyrics. Both Green Day and Johnny Rebel have the potential to sound good.

I grew up loving Rage Against the Machine, but when I was a kid I didn't realize that they were celebrating tyrants and cop killers and communism. I was 12 and just liked the fact that he seemed angry about something and was rallying against "the man". I still love them musically and think Morello is one of the most innovative guitarists of all time, but I get douche chills from their message.

Also grew up listening to a lot of punk, but when I got old enough to understand how stupid anarchy and ultra leftist tendencies were, a lot of it lost it's magic.

Has any of your favorite music from when you were a kid soured with age?

RATM was always a bit cartonish with there politics I'd agree, never exactly the cutting edge hard hitting message they obviously intended but as far as music in general goes perhaps its also you own politics shifting more to the right with time?

RATM was always a bit cartonish with there politics I'd agree, never exactly the cutting edge hard hitting message they obviously intended but as far as music in general goes perhaps its also you own politics shifting more to the right with time?

Oh for sure and that's what I meant by this thread: a piece of music stays the same but our tastes and perception can change over time. Although back then I really didn't fully understand what their message was.

Tom Morello still to me is one of the most underrated guitarists of all time.

I like Rage's music and never really paid that much attention to their lyrics. But...to be a 100% political band is very boring to me. I couldnt think of anything more boring to make music about. So a band like RATM has kind of a short life because its all the same shit their singing about. System of a down is a mostly political band,but at least they infuse their records with a few tracks about complete nonsense to keep it fresh.

Christian bands.

A Hill to Die Upon
Crimson Moonlight

Cannot listen to Pink Cellphone by the Deftones, only song on that album I haven't ripped.

Pretty much every El-P song.

Good song, but I don't want to think about this when I'm eating steak.

Back