Music industry worse than UFC when it comes to pay

"no incentive in putting in the effort"

LOL!! While it is true that artists no longer make the same $$$ off their albums, people have never, ever, ever had the kind of access to music, like they do today. You, and everyone you know, have had your lives enhanced by the music that you would not have heard, if not for this technology. I would argue that technology has evolved as a direct result of companies like Napster. The IPHONE changed the world. IPOD's wouldn't have had nearly the same kind of success, if not for file sharing. The same people are still making millions of dollars to make music, and people are still desperately trying to get into that industry.

but what good is technology and access to music if the music is terrible? i don't understand your argument that people wouldn't be able to hear music if not for this technology. the radio has been around for a very long time, and everyone back then was able to access and listen to music via the radio. the only difference today, is that music today is generally just garbage. no thought and effort is being put into making great music. and who wants to go out of their way to listen to it? i sure don't. but i guess that's apparently just me

Good question. Keep in mind there's two sides to publishing (master recording and songwriting). Generally you're gonna have to cut someone in on publishing otherwise nobody is going to collect it for you. At one point I though artists couldn't assign their songwriting revenue to labels but I could be wrong there.
Yeah, master recording is usually owned by the label, very few artists own their Masters. Songwriting was what I was talking about, I know BMI, ASCAP, and I think Sesac are the big 3 when it comes to Publishing companies and you can usually look up on their website and see who owns the publishing rights to a specific song.

Like R. Kelly for example, when I heard his 19 minute song, I looked up some of his earlier and later works just to see who owned the publishing, and BMI owned nearly 100% on all of his songs, sometimes a featured artist/producer would also own a cut of the song. I'm guessing the publishing company usually owns the artist's songwriting if the artist doesn't.

Back