muscle shark conditiong

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
i know this is an old vid and we have gotten alot better since then with conditioning but dont you think this is a bit light for a top mma fighter? everyone keeps saying how insane this is that he trains this hard but to me it seems basic especially for that type of level

Well, to be fair, everyone must look a little light to you.
lol gay im sure im in much better shape than yourself look at my profile pic next to alan belcher i can tell i upset you on your internet play ground from my past threads

Sean Sherk is probably still to this day in better condition than 99% of this forum.

Sean Sherk is probably still to this day in better condition than 99% of this forum.
well of course he is im just saying by that video they make it seem like its an impossible workout when guys at ATT train double that for conditioning im sure he didnt tell everything he does for a fight coming up

well of course he is im just saying by that video they make it seem like its an impossible workout when guys at ATT train double that for conditioning im sure he didnt tell everything he does for a fight coming up
Do you think a 20 min show really captured his entire training regimen?

Last edited:
Do you think a 20 min show really captured his entire training regimen?
well thats what he said his conditioning program was it didnt show him doing everything it had his exercises reps ect
did u watch it and if you did what do you think of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
well thats what he said his conditioning program was it didnt show him doing everything it had his exercises reps ect
did u watch it and if you did what do you think of it?
Watched it when it first came out as I was a huge fan of Sherk. Just seemed like gym action for a show.

Watched it when it first came out as I was a huge fan of Sherk. Just seemed like gym action for a show.
so you wouldnt think that 5x5 minute conditioning routine would be good for fighting then huh

I used to think this was a fantastic means of conditioning a fighter, and considering Sherk had possibly the best gas tank in UFC history AND plenty of power, it is definitely adequate. But since then Ive learned more and currently I am of the opinion that when it comes to S&C the result is all that matters. A lot of gyms today, apparently yours included, still do these marathon S&C routines with a ton of volume and very high intensity, but I am seeing that more and more trainers are pushing a regimen with less volume, less ballistic type movements, but more often and with less variety. Paul McVeigh started training his guys this way years ago as an experiment and said it resulted in all time best conditioning for himself included. Ive seen the Alliance trainer in San Diego speaking of the same type of training. Nowadays I would have a fighter do a much more basic S&C routine still done at a high work rate but with much safer movements.

How does athlete "X" train / or athlete "X" does this, so shouldn't I? There's a few different reasons we don't like these sorts of threads.
#1. Elite athletes have multi-year training histories, building work capacity, basic athletic qualities and skills. You're a different person, with a different training history, so your training shouldn't be the same.
#2. Very rarely will you find complete and accurate information on how a particular athlete trains. What you see may only be a small portion of their actual training, or it could be for the cameras, to psyche out an opponent or what have you. Without knowing in detail the how and why of someone's training, you shouldn't be hasty to emulate it.
#3. How an athlete trains, or all elements of an athletes training isn't necessarily optimal. There's various reasons for this, from wrong and dated views on training persisting, coaches trying to train outside their area of expertise, to athletes trying bizarre things looking for any edge.

Back