Murka. China. IT'S ON. [US Dials Up On Another $200 Billion Plus Another Possible $200B For $450B]

* Or people who run US factories that are adversely affected by China’s merchantilistic trade practices. Or the people who work in those factories. Or their suppliers and the people who work for their suppliers. Or the service providers who rely on the presence of the those factories and their suppliers for their own businesses. Or the communities (I.e. the schools, retailers, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.) that rely on the economic base -wages, tax revenue, etc. - provided by those factories and supply chain.

Not worth it save for obvious banter over his horrendously ill conceived view that the CCP is an inevitable empire. What kind of big shot investor loves a regime like that? Shitting on poor people now too. Geez.

now we have to buy overpriced, shitty, American products.

The alternative is overpriced, shitty, Chinese products.

So it doesn't matter anymore I guess.
Not overpriced though. As I look around my office, it’s all made in China. It’s good quality and at a good price.

China's "nuclear" option is interesting but they already don't have a whole lot of regard for patents or copyright as it is and in some instances, IP does disproportionately favor those at the top. I tend to conflate trade secrets with and as intellectual property although they're technically different things. I'm less concerned for the IP of individual corporations and more so the trade secrets of entire domestic industry strongholds.

* Or people who run US factories that are adversely affected by China’s merchantilistic trade practices. Or the people who work in those factories. Or their suppliers and the people who work for their suppliers. Or the service providers who rely on the presence of the those factories and their suppliers for their own businesses. Or the communities (I.e. the schools, retailers, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.) that rely on the economic base -wages, tax revenue, etc. - provided by those factories and supply chain.

I wonder where those people were decades ago when we really kicked the offshoring into high gear.

Preserving our tech advantages is worth a little hardball in my opinion. But the crying over generic manufacturers is pointless to me unless that person felt the same way previously and demonstrated it by their commitment to not buying cheap products produced overseas. Those people who insist on buying American even when it's more expensive have credibility to me, everyone else...not so much.

Over 80% of US job losses in manufacturing in the past 3 decades were caused by automation, rather than foreign competition. American factory output has GROWN steadily during the mean time. American companies are producing more with fewer workers, which increases their profit margin and thus increasing their stock value. Job losses in manufacturing will continue as robots replace human workers. You need to stop with the "dey tukk er jerbs" hysteria and look at the actual facts.

https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-b7e6-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62

mfg1.jpg

1*TKeXB4jzbsJKq6plJVXQCQ.jpeg

Last edited:
Over 80% of US job losses in manufacturing in the past 3 decades were caused by automation, rather than foreign competition. American factory output has GROWN steadily during the mean time. American companies are producing more with fewer workers, which increases their profit margin and thus increasing their stock value. You need to stop with the "dey tukk er jerbs" hysteria and look at the actual facts.

https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-b7e6-11e6-ba85-95d1533d9a62
mfg1.jpg
Come on now, the job creators need a scapegoat to blame it on.

Come on now, the job creators need a scapegoat to blame it on.
It is far easier to blame a foreign entity than look at the core issue. The truth is humans cannot compete with robots in terms of productivity and cost. The American middle class is suffering not because jobs got shipped overseas, but because the jobs were no longer needed. Rather than trying to bring back the past, US should increase investment in high tech industries and green energy to regain its economic edge. What Obama did with TPP was on the right track, although TPP was flawed in many ways. You confront China by building a coalition of partners to isolate it, not isolate yourself by bickering with your allies.

Instead Trump is doubling down on oil, gas and coal, while engaging in trade war with China, Canada, Mexico and Europe. The very same protectionist policies that prolonged the Great Depression in the 1930's and kept the world economy from recovering.

Chuck Schumer agrees and supports Trump on an issue?

Hell has frozen over.

Trump is playing the long game and you peasants are worried about the daily fluctuations of your 401k you won’t touch for 25 years.

Gain some perspective here folks....the time is now to take on China.

This shit should be an automatic disqualifier. I don't understand how the party has failed on this topic so much.

@V-2 your threads are awesome. You are doing a fantastic job with this stuff, and please, keep up the good work!

https://www.voanews.com/amp/china-calls-trump-threat-of-more-tariffs-blackmail-/4445996.html

China calls President Donald Trump’s threat to slap more tariffs on Chinese exports to the U.S. “extreme pressure and blackmail” and threatens to retaliate. Beijing reacted Tuesday to Trump’s plan to impose tariffs on another $200 billion of Chinese goods “if China refuses to change its practices.”

“China apparently has no intention of changing its unfair practices related to the acquisition of American intellectual property and technology,” a presidential statement said late Monday. “Rather than altering those practices, it is now threatening United States companies, workers, and farmers who have done nothing wrong.”

The president has ordered Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer to identify a list of $200 billion in additional Chinese goods subject to a 10 percent tariff — a move that would bring on another round of Chinese penalties on American products.

Trump has already ordered 25 percent tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese products. Those penalties are scheduled to take effect early next month and will likely be followed by Chinese countermeasures.

The U.S. has long accused China of stealing U.S. technology secrets, requiring U.S. firms to share intellectual property as a condition for doing business in joint ventures in China. China denies such theft and accuses Washington of “deviating from the consensus reached by both parties.”

LOL. Lighthizer ordered Trump to order him to identify $200 billion that he identified at least 10 years ago.

@V-2 your threads are awesome. You are doing a fantastic job with this stuff, and please, keep up the good work!

Nobody wants to read it tho, it's utterly contrarian to the overwhelmingly negative popular narrative and people are so blinded by partisanship nobody even cares anymore about what's best for the country. Politics come first, always. It's a good thing that's largely an internet animal because shit is really popping off and it's still a good while before it comes full circle. I kind of wish we could fast forward to the 4Q of 2020.

Back