Opinion Murica would be safer if they start introducing psychological tests before you can buy a gun

Oh go whine someplace else . . . what makes you believe proponents of the 2nd don't legitimately care about the Constitution? What straw man are you going to invoke now?

Because the 2nd amendment is the crutch they use to protect their toys. They don't give two shits about the rest of the Constitution.

Because the 2nd amendment is the crutch they use to protect their toys. They don't give two shits about the rest of the Constitution.

Wrongo~

Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. That I will bear truth faith and allegiance to the same.

You will find most of us vehemently against things like Civil Foreiture, errosion of free speech, etc.

Wrongo~

Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foreign and domestic. That I will bear truth faith and allegiance to the same.

You will find most of us vehemently against things like Civil Foreiture, errosion of free speech, etc.

How about separation of church and state? The people of Alabama just voted to ignore that far more important part of the Constitution

Wrongo~

If guns weren't "cool", you wouldn't give two shits and we all know it

How does that refute anything I've said? It's not a gun show loophole . . . it's a freaking private sale between two non-FFLs. Most states do NOT require either to complete a background check.

From your link:

This means that gun shows in these states can take on the informal feeling of a general market, in which unlicensed dealers are allowed to walk the grounds peddling their wares, as shown in a 2016 CNNMoney report.

The ATF requires anyone "in the business" of selling guns for profit to be licensed . . . there is no such thing as an "unlicensed dealer" . . .

If you honestly believe that a 2A supporter doesn't also support and care about the "rest of the Constitution" you need some serious help.

It’s literally the first reply to the OP.

You literally don't understand what @Cubo de Sangre said . . . he's pointing out that you don't give two craps about saving lives. Because if you did you'd understand what causes the most loss of life each year in the US.

Here's a hint . . . it ain't freaking gun-related deaths.

i'm not from a gun culture so i don't get how that's controversial

You literally don't understand what @Cubo de Sangre said . . . he's pointing out that you don't give two craps about saving lives. Because if you did you'd understand what causes the most loss of life each year in the US.

Here's a hint . . . it ain't freaking gun-related deaths.

Using your logic, oncologists aren't really interested in saving lives, because heart disease is still the number 1 killer, so if they were really interested in saving lives, they'd be cardiac surgeons. Your logic is intellectually bankrupt, you start with a false equivalence, then you use that fallacy to set up a massive strawman.

People always talk about psychological tests and barring people with mental issues from owning guns, which on the surface sounds like a no-brainer. But it seems to me there are a lot of problems that can stem from this.

In America, the right to bear arms is in the constitution. You really have to be careful when you're restricting someone from exercising their constitutional rights. Obviously there are already laws that restrict certain people (ex cons, etc) from buying guns. But who gets to decide what kind of "mental issues" can lead to someone forfeiting constitutional rights?

Lets say there's a guy who has no history of mental illness, but has a bunch of stuff happen all at once - loses his job, loved one dies, ect ect. He gets stressed out, has a break down and checks himself into a mental facility. He clears up his issues and he's back to normal. By virtue of having that on his record, is he forever disqualified?

What about the person diagnosed with depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, etc? They take their medication and have no real issues. Does that disqualify them from obtaining a gun? What if they live in a bad neighbourhood - they're not allowed to purchase a firearm for self protection?

In todays current climate many people are trying to remove the stigma of having a mental illness. Will barring everyone with a mental illness from owning a gun add to the stigma? Will the possibility of having to forfeit certain constitutional rights and potentially have property (guns) seized make people less likely to avail of psychological help?

If you honestly believe that a 2A supporter doesn't also support and care about the "rest of the Constitution" you need some serious help.

Oh they care... Marginally.. if you were to give them a choice between the 1st and 2nd, we all know which one they will choose

Yes . . . that's it . . .

o_O:rolleyes:

Yup, that really is it. Argue all you want, but the gun nuts care about the 2nd for one reason and one reason only: they like guns. All that Constitution or self defense crap comes secondary.. a very distant secondary

How does that refute anything I've said? It's not a gun show loophole . . . it's a freaking private sale between two non-FFLs. Most states do NOT require either to complete a background check.

From your link:

The ATF requires anyone "in the business" of selling guns for profit to be licensed . . . there is no such thing as an "unlicensed dealer" . . .

It's a gun dealership under the guise of a private sale. A loophole, they show up with their stock, they set up a stall and they sell guns, just without needing a license

While watching hockey with my friend who I would say is quite liberal the topic of gun control can up after a bulletin about the shooting. His remarks were the USA needs to get rid of the guns. I responded with you do know that Canada has just as many guns per capita as the USA right? He says yeah but they don’t need hand guns or assault rifles. And I said is heroine illegal? He says yes and I said hmm wonder where it comes from then? Guns will always be available to criminals because they don’t care about gun laws period.

Should people obviously be scrutinized trying to purchase sure. But you could ban firearms as a whole and they would still be all over the place, just like all other illegal things.

From your link:

People talking about the "gun show loophole" should really just say they're against private sales of firearms

It's the actuality of it, and is at least a clear ground from where an intelligent conversation can be had from either side

If you tell an average American about scrapping the 2nd amendment they will go apeshit. So we dont want to do that.

What instead should be done, is psychological tests measuring mental capabilities each individual owning a gun. Not just initially but every so often, 5 or 10 years. You dont get a sane person to come out and shoot everyone 'just because'.

Surely, this method wont prevent occurrences like that but it definitely greatly reduce it.

How about you
900px-Texas_Flag_Come_and_Take_It.svg.png

It’s a nice idea OP but the difficulty is people can easily fake being mentally stable. The aurora dark knight theater had a therapist and they concluded he’s just a socially anxious individual.

Also it would take 6-12 months to diagnose bipolars or schizophrenia so that’s a bit absurd for a gun

It's a gun dealership under the guise of a private sale. A loophole, they show up with their stock, they set up a stall and they sell guns, just without needing a license

And you know this how? Are these folks doing the gun show circuit or just setting up to sell at one show?

Again . . . anyone in the business of making money from the sale of firearms has to be licensed by the ATF. Period.

Back