Munguia to headline Dec.8th card on HBO?

Its still technically 2018, right? They're out of boxing next year.

Fair enough, I was thinking the Jacobs fight was the swan song, but...

As someone who remembers HBO boxing very early on (mid-70s), it's still hard to imagine that they are done with it.

Its still technically 2018, right? They're out of boxing next year.

They announced their last show was the Jacobs one in October.

And Yes it is technically 2018’

Last edited:
HBO has an obligation to telecast one more Jaime Munguia fight, multiple sources told The Ring, and the rising Mexican star is pegged for a December 8 junior middleweight title defense at The Forum in Inglewood, California.

There’s three opponents under consideration for the assignment, according to sources. One such name is undefeated Japanese 154-pounder Takeshi Inoue (13-0-1, 7 knockouts). The HBO event would go head-to-head with ESPN’s telecast of Vasiliy Lomachenko-Jose Pedraza at Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden in New York. The Madison Square Garden Company also owns and operates The Forum.

With HBO ready to scrap boxing from its programming going forward, Munguia (31-0, 26 KOs) figures to be the last headliner on the network unless it returns to the sport in the future.

The co-feature could pit light heavyweight titleholder Dmitry Bivol against Joe Smith, according to sources. That bout could also headline its own HBO show in late November. Showtime Sports head honcho Stephen Espinoza acknowledged Wednesday that he’s interested in televising Bivol’s fights on his network with HBO ditching boxing, and who wouldn’t be interested in obtaining the fighter’s services.

https://www.ringtv.com/545200-hbo-n...ly-to-headline-on-network-dec-8-at-the-forum/

Ill actually watch these final telecasts probably, gonna have all the premium channels with my next next provider package purchase. Haven't paid for the the luxury of HBO/Showtime in forever, two channels I used to love. Hopefully I still get some kinda appreciation outta HBO since it's included anyway, I really liked The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Curb your Enthusiasm, all sorts of shows on the channel really. I REMEMBER HBO experiences, both shows and boxing events alike. They were quality as far as my memory recollects.

As far as Munguia... get him in there with Hurd. I get it, they want to bring him up slow, but he aint a slow bring him up kinda guy. He's young and making weight now, but when he's older he'll have to go up. He's even got faults now, what happens when he's not a giant? Get him in there with Hurd while the irons hot.

Although HBO recently announced that after 45 years of televising boxing it will end its involvement at the end of the year, the network is still planning other cards beyond the Oct. 27 tripleheader topped by Daniel Jacobs-Sergiy Derevyanchenko, which is the only one presently on the schedule. One card likely would be headlined by junior middleweight titlist Jaime Munguia (31-0, 26 KOs) on Dec. 8 at a location to be determined. According to a source with knowledge of the plans, HBO is working on a tripleheader that would also involve former pound-for-pound king Roman “Chocolatito” Gonzalez (47-2, 39 KOs), a former four-division world champion, and undisputed women’s welterweight world champion Cecilia Braekhus (34-0, 9 KOs), the world’s No. 1 female fighter pound-for-pound, who was featured in HBO’s first-ever women’s bout on May 5 on the Gennady Golovkin-Vanes Martirosyan undercard.

Dan Rafael espn

Back