Multiplayer games killing single player campaign games

Single player FPSes are still relevant. Doom, Farcry, Halo, Bioshock, etc. It doesn't bother me that COD is doing away with them because I've never thought highly of that series. Generic, cookie cutter military shooter with no variation between the games.

What really ticked me off was Battlefront getting rid of the campaign. That one hurt because of how good the old games used to be.

Multiplayer is the way forward. I dont think I bothered with any of the campaign modes in CoD since MW2. My first thought is get on MP and get through the ranks.

They still make CoD games? And people still buy them? Ok then.

As you guys already heard or not, new Call of Duty will be without traditional single player campaign.

Me and my brother are fans of CoD. Whenever new game released, we shared the costs of games. For me it was campaign which I played on his PC and for him multiplayer and we had no interest whatsoever in playing each other modes. As for new game he will have to foot the whole bill this time.

PC platform is in particular at danger because MOBAS are wiping out everything out there. I am old school, 20 years ago u had only campaign games and very few multiplayers. Now is opposite.

I feel your pain. I'm not into multiplayer gaming at all. I used to play the THQ UFC and Fight Night games online, but that was about it. When it comes to COD and FPS's in general the campaign is all I play. that's why I always wait a few years to play them so I can pick them up for a few dollars.

The Friday the 13th game pissed me off too. I was amped for it and even donated to the kickstarter and got a digital copy among release only to find out it was multi player only. How are you going to make a game based off a movie and not have a story line.

I think a lot of the stems from me being a 37 year old gamer that grew up playing single player and couch co-op style games. I still get together with a few friends to play sport games, but I just don't get into playing online.

For the Cod games,I've always played the campaign through,go trophy hunting and total completion before I start on multiplayer. I find it give me a better feel for the game. Anything that is online only,I'll pass on thanks.

And after the flops of Titanfall and battlefront, I'd have thought they have learned that this shit is really limited to months of shelf life,if that.

The games that bring the most money to devs are multiplayer ‘games’ that can pull money from ‘whales’ who spend insane amounts of money on them.

Same as with mobile ‘games’.

People for whom social interaction is dominating other people in games.

And after the flops of Titanfall and battlefront, I'd have thought they have learned that this shit is really limited to months of shelf life,if that.

Not true. The economics say completely otherwise.

Titanfall is a shitty Mechwarrior clone.

Mechwarrior is going fine and getting dudes to spend hundreds and thousands of bucks on shit like gold skins.

I disagree. Multiplayer, online, competitive games are huge atm, but I think there is a novel element that will wear off in coming years, and people will still shell out a lot of money ($50+) for a good single player story or sandbox experience like Fallout or GTA.

With creative mediums like games, I tend to think the money follows the interest, and interest can be created in any subgenre where the quality of the content stands out.

Plenty of good single player games coming out but stock market corporations will tend to min/max.

Build Witcher 3 or COD 7: Zombie Warfare 4? Same revenue.

MP online games seem like total shit for me because:
I like to meet people when I want friendly social interaction
I like to spend that time on a couch, at a restaurant or at a bar
If I want to play game with friends, I’d like to do it at home with them and there are no games that let me do that apart from Diablo

You’re pointing at one game and declaring it a trend. That’s simply not true. There have been a lot of good single player games the last few years. I would say that multiplayer games defined the last gen more than the current gen. Sorry if you are disappointed by COD making this changes but let’s be honest here. They have halfassed the campaigns for over a decade now and honestly are doing everyone a favor by not making a new one.

Yes, I agree. I used to play a lot of single player games, and they are really good. For example Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Bioshock and many others. It's very sad that the player have lost the interest to the singe player campaigns, because they like to play the multiplayer games. I agree that the multiplayer games are cool - I am a big fan of Diablo 2. I have played a lot of Diablo 2. I was playing even more after I have found a diablo 2 items sale. But the single player is interesting too, and it's sad that some game developers forgot about that.

I played Call of Duty: World at War campaign only along with a couple other COD games and Gears of War 1 & 2. Once I beat the single player I moved onto another game now though I don't waste my money on games built around PvP stupid ass Titanfall suckered me into that bs. Now you got games like for honor and overwatch that could've had a singleplayer but said fuck it and moved to pvp/multiplayer only.

World at War campaign was great fun.

We had 4 of us playing it system link co-op back on the 360 with some beers and pizza, that was a grand old time.

I'd like for Battlefield to never have another shit COD Style campaign and to go back to having Bots as a single player.

the most dangerous game is man

#BlackerFace
DistantSilverGhostshrimp-size_restricted.gif

I'd like for Battlefield to never have another shit COD Style campaign and to go back to having Bots as a single player.

Just give us a game with building and structural destruction that actually impacts gameplay drastically. The only Battlefield campaign I ever played was Bad Company 2.

Just give us a game with building and structural destruction that actually impacts gameplay drastically. The only Battlefield campaign I ever played was Bad Company 2.
I've never played any BF campaign, I used to play the shit outta Vietnam and VF 2 with bots tho.

Back