Multiplayer games killing single player campaign games

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As you guys already heard or not, new Call of Duty will be without traditional single player campaign.

Me and my brother are fans of CoD. Whenever new game released, we shared the costs of games. For me it was campaign which I played on his PC and for him multiplayer and we had no interest whatsoever in playing each other modes. As for new game he will have to foot the whole bill this time.

PC platform is in particular at danger because MOBAS are wiping out everything out there. I am old school, 20 years ago u had only campaign games and very few multiplayers. Now is opposite.

who the f*ck played the COD campaign all day every day anyway

I played Call of Duty: World at War campaign only along with a couple other COD games and Gears of War 1 & 2. Once I beat the single player I moved onto another game now though I don't waste my money on games built around PvP stupid ass Titanfall suckered me into that bs. Now you got games like for honor and overwatch that could've had a singleplayer but said fuck it and moved to pvp/multiplayer only.

I played Call of Duty: World at War campaign only along with a couple other COD games and Gears of War 1 & 2. Once I beat the single player I moved onto another game now though I don't waste my money on games built around PvP stupid ass Titanfall suckered me into that bs. Now you got games like for honor and overwatch that could've had a singleplayer but said fuck it and moved to pvp/multiplayer only.

you're not wrong in pointing out the gameplay trailer revealed dynamic wall running in the new PVP

<Dana05>

so it's Titanfall but the robots are vehicles

That's been the case since the last gen and the explosion of mp. Deal with it. MP has much more longevity and offers a lot more value for people than a 6 hour sp campaign.

Uh, the most talked about and highest rated games in the past few years have been single player. Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Dark Souls 3, Witcher 3, Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Bloodborne (sure it and DS3 have an online component, but it is optional), Celeste, Hellblade, Inside, Uncharted 4 (optional online component, but it's not why people play the game), etc. Not to mention remakes or re-releases of Skyrim, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, and Shadow of the Colossus.

I think single player games have made a huge comeback recently. The only recent online games that have really had a big impact have been Overwatch, PUBG, Fortnite, Dragonball FighterZ, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (probably half of all 20 million Switch owners have it), and Splatoon 2 (which is popular in the west, but massive in Japan). Friday the 13th also was big for a while and something new, and it keeps getting new content, though some of the troll and douchey player-base has hurt it. Battlefield 1 was popular for a bit, but lasted a year a year or less before it died down (at least it wasn't a total failure like Hardline) and was replaced by the battle royale hype train. CoD has had diminishing returns with WW2 dying down quickly and Infinite Warfare being the CoD equivalent to a failure, and of course Star Wars Battlefront 2 was a failure.
There's definite franchise fatigue with the CoD and Battlefield/Battlefront franchises, and I can imagine there will be battle royale fatigue as well if everyone and their mother jumps on board. Look at what happened to the hero shooter games that Overwatch overshadowed, good games like Battleborn and Lawbreakers never had a chance, Paladins seems to have survived based on being free to play from the start, but it doesn't have anywhere near the popularity/impact of Overwatch. We're seeing good battle royale games get the same treatment in the wake of PUGB and Fortnite, and people will eventually get tired of those two games as well if that's all they are playing.

Single player games have made a big comeback.

First Person Shooters are moving towards PvP/Multiplayer only because it is what most of the community focuses on. After MW2, I only played campaigns if my internet was fucking up.

I don't mind the change because I focus on multiplayer anyway. If you're looking for good single-player experience, traditional arcade shooters were never your best bet anyway.

I liked The Witcher 3 and also Total War single player campaigns. I wouldn't pay for a single player campaign I could finish in 2 evenings.

You know what I can do with MY games a year or two after purchasing them?

Why, I can play them! By myself! Without "server down" or "can't find server" getting in the way of my fun.

Now, with games like Rocket League it's clearly more fun to play with teams.

But this fucking trend.

Two things I fucking hate is multi player only games (where's my game?), and extensive cinematic cut scenes (get to the game already, press x to continue cut scene isn't a game).

My step dad only plays campaign modes for shooters. He is like 66 and does not deal with online people.

I am old school, 20 years ago u had only campaign games and very few multiplayers. Now is opposite.

20 years ago multiplayers didnt exist in their current state. They were mainly peer to peer connections over dialup or split screen.

Few were playing COD for the campaigns anyways, so it's really not shocking. Add to that, that the last few games have been heavily criticized for their shitty campaigns, so it makes sense just to eliminate that aspect altogether, and not give critics a target.

Multiplayer won't kill single player games. Nickle and diming with micro-transactions, and selling games one chapter at a time will.

last sp campaign i played from any bf/cod game was that one with the "no russian" misson from cod

couldnt care less about this since i only play multiplayer when it comes fps shooters

I liked The Witcher 3 and also Total War single player campaigns. I wouldn't pay for a single player campaign I could finish in 2 evenings.
Such a weird view people have when it comes to the value of games sometimes.

I agree that a couple of sitdowns is on the short side for a modern game and probably shouldn’t be priced st $60 but you don’t pay $10-$15 to watch a movie for two hours?

Multiplayer only games are easier to make and are cheaper.

Thus there’s more of them.

Doesn’t mean they are better though

PC platform is in particular at danger because MOBAS are wiping out everything out there. I am old school, 20 years ago u had only campaign games and very few multiplayers. Now is opposite

Campaigns are expensive to develop, multiplayer is cheaper, and most DLC & Microtransactions are multiplayer-focused. It makes no financial sense for developers and publishers to focus on campaigns.

And when was the last FPS campaign that sold tens of millions of copies by itself? Its been a while.

My suggestion - Go back and play campaign-focused FPSs you may have missed, like the Crysis series, that you can buy for cheap on Steam.

Campaigns are expensive to develop, multiplayer is cheaper, and most DLC & Microtransactions are multiplayer-focused. It makes no financial sense for developers and publishers to focus on campaigns.

And when was the last FPS campaign that sold tens of millions of copies by itself? Its been a while.

My suggestion - Go back and play campaign-focused FPSs you may have missed, like the Crysis series, that you can buy for cheap on Steam.

Farcry 5 like 2 months ago.

You know what I can do with MY games a year or two after purchasing them?

Why, I can play them! By myself! Without "server down" or "can't find server" getting in the way of my fun.

Now, with games like Rocket League it's clearly more fun to play with teams.

But this fucking trend.

Two things I fucking hate is multi player only games (where's my game?), and extensive cinematic cut scenes (get to the game already, press x to continue cut scene isn't a game).

BOOM. Agreed completely.

Multiplayer only games have a shelf life. Id say even the juggernauts wont last (blizzards stuff), but the majority, and I mean, MAJORITY will phase out.

I cant believe i cant even play a single player version of City of Heroes/Villains. I paid $50 for each game, a monthly fee, and now, both games are frisbees. Unbelievable. Fuck, games that were on floppies can be downloaded. I can play Nintendo on an emulator, but i cant play a single player version of any of my stored characters on that multiplayer game. I just want to keep leveling them up!

Such a weird view people have when it comes to the value of games sometimes.

I agree that a couple of sitdowns is on the short side for a modern game and probably shouldn’t be priced st $60 but you don’t pay $10-$15 to watch a movie for two hours?

I pay 6 dollars to watch a movie for 2 hours. I also get to watch it on a giant screen with a nice sound system that was included in my 6 dollars.

I disagree. Multiplayer, online, competitive games are huge atm, but I think there is a novel element that will wear off in coming years, and people will still shell out a lot of money ($50+) for a good single player story or sandbox experience like Fallout or GTA.

With creative mediums like games, I tend to think the money follows the interest, and interest can be created in any subgenre where the quality of the content stands out.

Back