Muhammad Ali vs. Mike Tyson

Who wins?

• Muhammad Ali

• Mike Tyson

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
Good points all around. Finally some sensible discussion in a really intriguing fantasy match-up. All I wanted to show is you cant take Tyson lightly against anyone, including Ali during the short time that he looked completely unbeatable. I already gave the edge to Ali in a one fight winner take all, but it would be quite a fight with both at their best and there would be times where Ali is in big trouble. Such a close fight. In all the Buster Douglas talk, lets not forget Mike did figure out a way to put Buster on his back and almost got the TKO.
Tyson beat the best fighters of the 80s aside from Witherspoon..was Spinks,Holmes,Bonecrusher not great fighters! Douglas was a punk and in the right place at the right time..simple!

See, Ive heard that before from other people and I just dont see that. He is somewhat of a frontrunner in fhe way he starts out so fast and uses an intimidation factor so much, but I cant honestly put a finger on a situation where he's been challenged and whimpered away with his tail between his legs. Maybe Im looking at him with rose colored glasses. Please give me an example where he was mentally soft once challenged and quit or found a way outta there. Dude only has 6 losses, (3 to legendary guys and 1 to a legendary performance) . When has he quit and found a way out?.
watch his fights title fights in the 80s..he was challenged alright,it was just he was at his peak and banged most OUT!

I knew someone was gonna bring that up. Mike knew exactly what he was doing when he started biting Evanders ear. He said Evander was leading with the head and butting on the way in and the ref was doing nothing about it. So he took measures into his own hands. He wasn't trying to get outta there, he was trying to send a message to Evander to stay away. Watch that fight, it was pretty even right up to that point. He had no reason to quit.
he just lost pal,thats life!

I think the mental warfare would play a big role in this fight. Ali would have Tyson gotten to both before and during the fight. Bully the bully even before they get in the ring.

I always thought Ali would win a dec or a late tko but might get sat down once or twice.

this. ali was a genius at talking shit and mental warfare. he would fuck with his opponents' head and as much as i love tyson, he was a very emotional person and i feel like he would throw his game-plan out in order to try and just brawl, eventually making a mistake that ali may capitalize on.

Ali, based on his unprecedented mindset of a champion, willpower and toughness

I think Ali would have had the ability to break Tyson mentally.

"That all you got?"

I say KO in the last seconds of round 12

But like most in here: obviously not the surest I've been.

The hell if I know whom I would bet on. I guess footwork, resilience and jab make me lean towards Ali, but Tyson would find him at some point.

This is absolutely meaningless. Ali was goofing around against Cooper because it was a cake fight for him (in his own mind). What happened after he recovered? He shredded Cooper to pieces, and in the second fight be beat him even worse.

Ali ALWAYS fought to the level of his competition. He would not fuck around with Tyson, he'd be at his best the same way he was against liston and foreman

This is absolutely meaningless. Ali was goofing around against Cooper because it was a cake fight for him (in his own mind). What happened after he recovered?

If Dundee didn't remove stuffing from his glove, would Ali have recovered?

If Dundee didn't remove stuffing from his glove, would Ali have recovered?

This is a total nonsense narrative. They timed how much extra time Ali got....it was no more than 5 seconds after the round. Ali possibly had the greatest recuperative powers of any HW after taking a big shot. He survived a monster left hook from Joe Frazier after getting pummeled for 14 rounds. He survived multiple clean right hands from Ernie Shavers (when he was well past his prime). You're telling me 180 lb Henry Cooper was the one to keep him down? GTFO.

Ali would outbox him 7 times out of 10 most likely.

BUT.

Ali was susceptible to a left hook. He was hurt by them multiple times in his career. Tyson had a pretty wicked left hook. Honestly, I think the Clay who fought Henry Cooper would have got ruined by the best Tyson. Ali also liked to play around with opponents at times and Tyson had a different combo of power and speed than anyone Ali fought.

ReliableDismalAsiandamselfly-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_n5z2s8Izzu1svefdfo1_400.gif

Ali was badly hurt by that shot and thats from an unathletic tough guy who would probably be a cruiserweight today.

Tyson would wreck Ali.. people are delusional.
No, whats delusional is thinking the human body bags Tyson KO'd equates to doing the same to Ali. 70% of Tyson's opponents shit themselves before even walking into the ring, they were weak minded fighters who were defeated mentally before getting picked off physically. Muhammad Ali had the greatest self belief of any boxing champion ever, he was mentally tough as nails. Tyson meanwhile always folded like a lawn chair when things got tough. Learn some history kid, youre the one with delusions.

Ali would outbox him 7 times out of 10 most likely.

BUT.

Ali was susceptible to a left hook. He was hurt by them multiple times in his career. Tyson had a pretty wicked left hook. Honestly, I think the Clay who fought Henry Cooper would have got ruined by the best Tyson. Ali also liked to play around with opponents at times and Tyson had a different combo of power and speed than anyone Ali fought.

ReliableDismalAsiandamselfly-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_n5z2s8Izzu1svefdfo1_400.gif

Ali was badly hurt by that shot and thats from an unathletic tough guy who would probably be a cruiserweight today.
Eh. Tyson has little to no advantages in this fight.

Its a bad fight for Tyson stylistically. Everything he struggled with Ali had. Likely isn't very competitive after 5ish rounds tbh.

Eh. Tyson has little to no advantages in this fight.

Its a bad fight for Tyson stylistically. Everything he struggled with Ali had. Likely isn't very competitive after 5ish rounds tbh.
I said Ali would beat him 7 times out of 10. You can't imagine Tyson connecting with a fight ending shot if they fought that many times?
Ali was just a boxer, he wasn't superman. He went life and death with lesser guys than Tyson. They had to cheat to save his ass in the Cooper fight.

This is absolutely meaningless. Ali was goofing around against Cooper because it was a cake fight for him (in his own mind). What happened after he recovered? He shredded Cooper to pieces, and in the second fight be beat him even worse.

Ali ALWAYS fought to the level of his competition. He would not fuck around with Tyson, he'd be at his best the same way he was against liston and foreman

goofing around? He almost got knocked out there.

Ali tried to clown a lot of guys and sometimes it meant him eating a lot of big shots.

I said Ali would beat him 7 times out of 10. You can't imagine Tyson connecting with a fight ending shot if they fought that many times?
Ali was just a boxer, he wasn't superman. He went life and death with lesser guys than Tyson. They had to cheat to save his ass in the Cooper fight.
hmmm. 7 out of 10 is fair I suppose. I have never really seen on Tyson wins tbh. A lucky shot out of his ass being his only chance doesn't really give me confidence that he would win three times out of 10.

But its still fair i suppose

goofing around? He almost got knocked out there.

Ali tried to clown a lot of guys and sometimes it meant him eating a lot of big shots.

Thats my point, he almost got knocked out because he viewed Cooper as a non threat, he was clowning. You know who he didnt clown against? Monster punchers like Liston and Foreman. Ali would not sleep on Tyson, and unlike Tyson he fought better the bigger the fight was.

Thats a bullshit narrative about them having to cheat to save Ali. Its a nice story, but nothing more. Its been proven that he didnt get more than an extra 5 or so seconds. Hardly enough to change the outcome. Dundee and Ali both embellished a shit load of stories with no regard for the truth. The fight tape exists...look it up for yourself.

Back