Muhammad Ali vs. Mike Tyson

Who wins?

• Muhammad Ali

• Mike Tyson

• Draw

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was exagerating a little hence the laugh face but he was definitely washed up by the time he fought Mercer and Holyfield.

He was NOT washed up. Thats literally NOT what that phrase means. He was past his prime.

Now the Ali that Larry Holmes beat. Thats washed up.

He was NOT washed up. Thats literally NOT what that phrase means. He was past his prime.

Now the Ali that Larry Holmes beat. Thats washed up.
Ok, I used the wrong terminology, he was definitely past his prime. His late career resurgence adds to his legacy but the version that fought Tyson wasn't his best.

Holmes and Spinks were using canes by the time they fought Mike. :D

I actually think Tyson beats any version of Holmes. Holmes wasn't tight enough defensively and he got by on durability and heart more than some remember. If he could weather the storm over the first 6 I'd give him a very good chance of winning, but I'm not sure he would do that too often.

I actually think Tyson beats any version of Holmes. Holmes wasn't tight enough defensively and he got by on durability and heart more than some remember. If he could weather the storm over the first 6 I'd give him a very good chance of winning, but I'm not sure he would do that too often.
I do see him getting by on durability but Tyson sure could put the lights out. Also, Holmes' arm got caught up on the rope, c'mon! :D

Im a huge tyson fan, he is actually very smart, a great boxer, great at the mental aspects of fighting. I have tried to learn pretty much everything I can about him. If all you know about tyson is what you saw in the news etc you dont know much about him. Tyson is a straight killer and the best ever. No one was capable of beating him in his prime. no one can compare to him

Im a huge tyson fan, he is actually very smart, a great boxer, great at the mental aspects of fighting. I have tried to learn pretty much everything I can about him. If all you know about tyson is what you saw in the news etc you dont know much about him. Tyson is a straight killer and the best ever. No one was capable of beating him in his prime. no one can compare to him

except someone did beat him in his prime.

I get Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion ever. Great fighter? Yea for a relatively short period in boxing terms. Exciting? Of course, one of the most exciting ever

But the guy never beat a great fighter in his prime, unless you count Donovan Razor Ruddock as great. He lost to the biggest underdog in sports history....in his prime btw

He lost to Holyfield, quitting the second time.

He lost to Lennox although ill give him a pass because he was a shell at that point.

He always had problems with tall fighters with good reaches who could box.
Buster
Tucker
Lennox

two fighters who aren't qualified to carry Ali's gym bags ( buster and tucker) and another who isn't nearly as fast as Ali but great in his own right ( lennox) gave Tyson a lot of problems.

Add in to the fact that Ali was never stopped and was probably the smartest fighter in the history of boxing, on top of all his other attributes....

Ali would have beaten him imo. Dont think its all that close either

Last edited:

I get Tyson was the youngest heavyweight champion ever. Great fighter? Yea for a relatively short period in boxing terms. Exciting? Of course, one of the most exciting ever

But the guy never beat a great fighter in his prime, unless you count Donovan Razor Ruddock as great. He lost to the biggest underdog in sports history....in his prime btw

He lost to Lennox although ill give him a pass because he was a shell at that point.

Buster
Tucker
Lennox

two fighters who aren't qualified to carry Ali's gym bags ( buster and tucker) and another who isn't nearly as fast as Ali but great in his own right ( lennox) gave Tyson a lot of problems.

Add in to the fact that Ali was never stopped and was probably the smartest fighter in the history of boxing, on top of all his other attributes....

Good points. I think he suffers somewhat like Duran does by not always being focused for his fights. In his prime he would have been dangerous for anyone but there were still the elite that should be considered a level higher.

Mike Tyson with his mentor Cus was one of the finest boxing specimens in history, he had it all, blazing speed, stamina, iron chin, awesome peek a boo defense, head movement, and brutal knock out power in both hands. He also had a high boxing IQ and threw beautiful combinations. He could fight like a savage forever.

Ali also has a great chin, jab, foot work, and high boxing IQ. He has no quit in him but he has been knocked down by guys who didn't throw as hard as Tyson. Ali simply has never seen a fighter with this much speed, power, and durability of Mike Tyson. I honestly believe prime Tyson knocks him out before it gets to 15. Tyson with Cus in his corner was a beast in his prime; he was one of the finest boxing specimens ever if you ask me.

Mike Tyson with his mentor Cus was one of the finest boxing specimens in history, he had it all, blazing speed, stamina, iron chin, awesome peek a boo defense, head movement, and brutal knock out power in both hands. He also had a high boxing IQ and threw beautiful combinations. He could fight like a savage forever.

Ali also has a great chin, jab, foot work, and high boxing IQ. He has no quit in him but he has been knocked down by guys who didn't throw as hard as Tyson. Ali simply has never seen a fighter with this much speed, power, and durability of Mike Tyson. I honestly believe prime Tyson knocks him out before it gets to 15. Tyson with Cus in his corner was a beast in his prime; he was one of the finest boxing specimens ever if you ask me.

yeah he was a straight savage, didnt duck anyone, took all fights, come one come all he fears no man, didnt pick and choose.

The guys that he did loose to had such height advantage on him, all they had to do was jab and run. Fighting taller guys is hard and there comes a point when its just too much and really unfair.

yeah he was a straight savage, didnt duck anyone, took all fights, come one come all he fears no man, didnt pick and choose.

The guys that he did loose to had such height advantage on him, all they had to do was jab and run. Fighting taller guys is hard and there comes a point when its just too much and really unfair.

Buster Douglas didn't beat Tyson because he jabbed and ran. He put a beating on him more or less from pillar to post. Unfortunatley, if we're talking about Tyson being the best or the greatest HW of all time (as you have said), then you can't talk about the height discrepancy against other HWs (and Tyson would never make any other weight class) as being unfair.

WTF has gone in here lately.....

Toss up fight, but only because Mike is a stylistic nightmare for Ali.

Ali is a stylistic nightmare for EVERYBODY, making him a far greater fighter.

I'd definitely favor Ali in this one. I could see Tyson catching him though. A true dream fight.

Buster
Tucker
Lennox

Buster Douglas didn't beat Tyson because he jabbed and ran. He put a beating on him more or less from pillar to post. Unfortunatley, if we're talking about Tyson being the best or the greatest HW of all time (as you have said), then you can't talk about the height discrepancy against other HWs (and Tyson would never make any other weight class) as being unfair.

Toss up fight, but only because Mike is a stylistic nightmare for Ali.

Ali is a stylistic nightmare for EVERYBODY, making him a far greater fighter.

I'd definitely favor Ali in this one. I could see Tyson catching him though. A true dream fight.
Good points all around. Finally some sensible discussion in a really intriguing fantasy match-up. All I wanted to show is you cant take Tyson lightly against anyone, including Ali during the short time that he looked completely unbeatable. I already gave the edge to Ali in a one fight winner take all, but it would be quite a fight with both at their best and there would be times where Ali is in big trouble. Such a close fight. In all the Buster Douglas talk, lets not forget Mike did figure out a way to put Buster on his back and almost got the TKO.

Tyson fell apart after cus died and then if i recall don king got rid of the remainder of the training team cus built
Tyson then stopped his peek a boo style and got lazy both in and out of the ring
The tyson that fought holyfield was a great fighter but a shell of what he was and could have been

Ali, his footwork, hand speed, boxing ability and chin would get him the W.
timing in fighters career is everything,both at their peaks would be amazing...ALI wins on points or Tyson early K.O !!!

Back