Muay Thai Gym Q&A

No, but many of them treat every sparring session like a fight. That's not how I prefer to train.

Yup - that and, in my experience, they aren't exactly the friendly type. Polite enough but aren't big for conversations beyond simple one word answers.

Super Export
Actionzone

Then obviously the individual brand stores Boon, Thaismai, Fairtex, Twins, Top king etc

Any other recommended shops for gear?

Hello guys, I have 2 questions about injuries/pain.
I have 2 major causes of pain in Muay Thai.

1. When I kick, especially in my gym where you have to kick alot (pads mostly), maybe because my hips lack flexibility, I have hip pain after every training (like a hip strain).

2. Low back pain (or blocked lower back): I think this is due to abdominal training. When doing lots of crunches and especially low ab exercises, like leg raises, after that my lower back gets blocked completely.

So I am wondering how to move forward with this. Since ab training is so important, should I just continue to develop more core strength since stopping completely would just result in weak abs? And as to kicking, is it about opening the hips more?

3. Finally as a bonus question...At my gym here in France, we do extremely heavy sparring every session which always results in exacerbating the mentioned injuries. Even beginners are supposed to spar. Is this normal or should I change gyms? I feel we dont work technique enough and do too much sparring.

Another French quaker on sherdog, interesting :)

While I'm not going to pretend being a doctor and answer your first 2 questions I might be able to help with the 3rd.

What gym do you train at in France? And is it a proper MT gym or just a Kickboxing gym?

The reason I ask is because typically MT sparring is rather light, and usually beginners aren't thrown in the deep end of hard sparring sessions from the start, unlike what you'd see in Kickboxing (especially Dutch style / K-1 type Kickboxing) or Kyokushin Karate.

Another French quaker on sherdog, interesting :)

While I'm not going to pretend being a doctor and answer your first 2 questions I might be able to help with the 3rd.

What gym do you train at in France? And is it a proper MT gym or just a Kickboxing gym?

The reason I ask is because typically MT sparring is rather light, and usually beginners aren't thrown in the deep end of hard sparring sessions from the start, unlike what you'd see in Kickboxing (especially Dutch style / K-1 type Kickboxing) or Kyokushin Karate.
Every gym is different, doesn't matter what style they train, most gym I train they do light sparring, but one western boxing gym I used to train at they sparr 100% no matter your level, but of course you are match with someone your level.

Every gym is different, doesn't matter what style they train, most gym I train they do light sparring, but one western boxing gym I used to train at they sparr 100% no matter your level, but of course you are match with someone your level.

It does matter because in MT you're not really supposed to sparr hard, and if his gym is a Kickboxing gym then it makes a lot more sense if they sparr hard.

Has anyone regretted training in Thailand during the summer due to the heat and humidity?

maybe a little bit at the time, but looking back, no. it got to about 40 degrees C in the afternoons, and the air was so thick, you could hardly breathe. would i trade that for anything? nope.

No, but many of them treat every sparring session like a fight. That's not how I prefer to train.

it's good to have hard sparring once in a while, but from what i've heard and also first hand experience, they take that shit too far sometimes. sparring at thai gyms for the most part are being technical and above all else, playful.

Super Export
Actionzone

Then obviously the individual brand stores Boon, Thaismai, Fairtex, Twins, Top king etc

Any other recommended shops for gear?

i've been to super export and boon, how was actionzone? i did a drop in class at yokkao and their shop was not well stocked at the time. they had nothing.

maybe a little bit at the time, but looking back, no. it got to about 40 degrees C in the afternoons, and the air was so thick, you could hardly breathe. would i trade that for anything? nope.

That’s cool. Also, did your stamina improved from training in the high humidity?

Has anyone regretted training in Thailand during the summer due to the heat and humidity?

The only environmental issue is pollution. During burning season up north I don't even train, because you're breathing in so much smog you can taste it.

They say that at its peak (a 3 week window) the smog is so bad that just walking outside for a day is equivalent to smoking 3 packs of cigarettes.

The only environmental issue is pollution. During burning season up north I don't even train, because you're breathing in so much smog you can taste it.

They say that at its peak (a 3 week window) the smog is so bad that just walking outside for a day is equivalent to smoking 3 packs of cigarettes.

Just curious, what part of Thailand were you training at?

Has anyone recently been to any of these gyms?
Kiatphontip
FA Group
Kiatkhamtorn
13 coins
The proper reviews out there seem to be older.
I'm looking to train for 3 weeks in April 2020 (hoping for less people). It's a pure Muay Thai training trip so I'm not worried about sight seeing. Looking at Bangkok because I've been told the gyms are often more serious and have a better mix of thai and farang. Language should hopefully not be too much of an issue as I'm learning to speak/read Thai over the next year. I love the clinch especially since it's so under-trained in New Zealand so you only need to be ok in the clinch to do well in a fight. I've been to Santai just out of Chiang Mai for two weeks in feb 2018 and found it very good for grounding the basics and the location was amazing. Chiang Mai is a no go in April though because I don't want to train in the smokey season in the North. Phuket is a no go as I disliked the atmosphere and the tourist focus of the place. I'm a smaller fighter (around 55kg) so that should not be an issue in Thailand, actually a plus as I get sick of sparring taller and bigger people all the time.
I'm currently leaning towards Kiatkhamtorn because they are known for clinching, location is not too central (I hate crowds), and they seem legit. What is putting me off FA Group is how small it is, they post videos each day and have up to four trainers doing pads in the ring at the same time, they only have 4 bags, has anyone been here in April? My trainer said he liked 13 coins but that was a very long time ago, from what I can tell they seem to not be what they were? they don't seem to have a website either and their fb page is not promising. Kiatphontip seems like a good general gym which does hard training? they never responded to my questions where the other gyms did which puts me off a little, plus the cost and time to get there from the airport (I know its silly when I'll be there for 3 weeks).
So if anyone has been to these gyms recently or any others that might fit my needs please let me know what they are like.

Last edited:
What gym do you guys think is the best bang for the buck?

What gym do you guys think is the best bang for the buck?
Don't think these forums are frequented much. Have you done some Google searches? I'm planning my return around what info I can find on the net. I went to Santai in Chiang Mai Jan 2018, they were one of the cheapest gyms and the food around that area is very good and very cheap. Santai was good for grounding the basics. If you are a fighter they train you separately, they have many foreign fighters fighting from their gym but they generally want you there at least a month to have you fight. In terms of bang for buck they are very good.
From what I can tell areas like phuket and koh samui are more expensive and westernised. Cost of living is alot higher in phuket and other beach locations, I can't comment on quality of the gyms as I'd only being going on reviews.
I've been told by my trainers that the serious training is done out of Bangkok and to look for gyms with a good ratio of Thai vs farang. The costs seem to vary in Bangkok but I'm picking based on reviews, training intensity, location, thai/farang ratio, whether it is crowded, and only a small part cost.
Also I found the locals really appreciate when you attempt to learn their language and you often get better deals and treatment.

Don't think these forums are frequented much. Have you done some Google searches? I'm planning my return around what info I can find on the net. I went to Santai in Chiang Mai Jan 2018, they were one of the cheapest gyms and the food around that area is very good and very cheap. Santai was good for grounding the basics. If you are a fighter they train you separately, they have many foreign fighters fighting from their gym but they generally want you there at least a month to have you fight. In terms of bang for buck they are very good.
From what I can tell areas like phuket and koh samui are more expensive and westernised. Cost of living is alot higher in phuket and other beach locations, I can't comment on quality of the gyms as I'd only being going on reviews.
I've been told by my trainers that the serious training is done out of Bangkok and to look for gyms with a good ratio of Thai vs farang. The costs seem to vary in Bangkok but I'm picking based on reviews, training intensity, location, thai/farang ratio, whether it is crowded, and only a small part cost.
Also I found the locals really appreciate when you attempt to learn their language and you often get better deals and treatment.
I'm leaning towards FA group

I'm leaning towards FA group
I was for awhile but after watching a few of their live streams I worry about it being crowded. But their location is great, close to train etc. Have you followed their Facebook to get a feel for the gym?

Is Thailand a good place for western boxing too? I want to go for a month and wouldn't have a problem training Muay Thai because I love combat sports in general, but I am a boxer by heart. Looked around a bit but can't find too much about it.

Sorry if this aint the right thread.

Is Thailand a good place for western boxing too? I want to go for a month and wouldn't have a problem training Muay Thai because I love combat sports in general, but I am a boxer by heart. Looked around a bit but can't find too much about it.

Sorry if this aint the right thread.
Check out Phuket Top Team. Their boxing coach is a former WBC champ.

And in the Muay Thai side you can train with the legend himself, Lerdsilla. After much research, I'm planning a trip there myself.

Check out Phuket Top Team. Their boxing coach is a former WBC champ.

And in the Muay Thai side you can train with the legend himself, Lerdsilla. After much research, I'm planning a trip there myself.

Thanks, currently looking at Top Team, Chokchai or the 13 coins gym.

Back