Muaythai gym questions and answers

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by cali_chute_boxe, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Noodles03

Noodles03 Blue Belt

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately December is the only month that I have this year to be able to take some time off. I'll be heading to Chai Yai camp in Chiang Mai and I'm a bit nervous about traveling to Thailand. Hopefully it should be fun.

Wadtucket likes this.
  2. drbolony

drbolony -Dream Chaser-

Thanks for the response man. For Muay Thai I don't really mind where I go, but I am eyeing that PTT white to blue belt program, and I wanna check it out at a later date.

As for my straight Muay Thai training I'm looking for the highest quality instruction at the lowest price. How does Rattachai's Muay Thai program compare to PTT's? I wouldn't mind heading to Bangkok if it means saving some greens (I'm a broke student).

The only thing I was worried about was recovery options, what is there to do in Bangkok to relax after training? Can you find clean inexpensive food like on fighters street?

I was watching some videos and saw a fighter ordering meals from a delivery service. All delicious looking, nutrient dense meals, that fit your macros at about $4 a pop depending on the protein.

I just want a month (or more) of eaty, sleepy, trainy, on a students budget.

Wadtucket likes this.
  3. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

Chiang Mai is nice, no need to be nervous about going there :)

Wadtucket and Noodles03 like this.
  4. BigPapaShango

BigPapaShango Green Belt

Completely get where you are coming from on price etc.

If you are going to Thailand, my opinion is train solely Muay Thai when you are there. It is something I think most would suggest, training bjj or wrestling when you are out there is good but why travel to the home of Mauy Thai and not take full advantage of it.

With regards to cheap eats on Soi Taied they are easy to find, The Shak and Tony's are the two that most will talk about however there are plenty more on the street. There are some more expensive places that also offer excellent food.

There is a place next to the latte cafe that offers amazing thai food at a really good price, i ate there most days. There is no denying that Soi Taied is completely focused on the health and fitness community so its a really good place to go.

If you are solely focused on price however I think you could find better deals going to bangkok, you will train and live cheaper and will likely eat cheaper.

7even, Wadtucket and drbolony like this.
  5. Noodles03

Noodles03 Blue Belt

I have a question when traveling to Thailand. As a foreigner, am I expected to be rip off by taxi cab drivers or are there ways around this? Also, do you guys prefer flying straight to Thailand or is it better to save money go with a connecting flight to Thailand? Thank you.

Wadtucket likes this.
  6. Tayski

Tayski Stand-up Fighting

You could get ripped off by a taxi just like a foreigner in any other country.

The best is to find out how much a taxi costs from where you are to where you're going. You can check that on the internet or ask your hotel or wherever you're staying and they'll tell you how much it should be. Negotiating down the price you're being told by the driver is not uncommon, I've done it many times when I knew it was higher than it should. Just make sure you ask before getting on board, and that you agree to a price you're happy with first. I usually also prefer agreeing to a price with them rather than using the meter, and from experience they seem to be happy with that too.

In terms of flying straight to Thailand or having a stopover somewhere it's completely down to preference, do you prefer flying cheap or do you prefer getting there quicker for more money? I personally prefer the second option.

Wadtucket and Noodles03 like this.
  7. Noodles03

Noodles03 Blue Belt

@Tayski , thank you for the info.

Wadtucket likes this.
  8. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

I use Grab if I need to use a taxi in Bangkok. I normally use the BTS or a motorbike taxi though.

esum80, Wadtucket and Noodles03 like this.
  9. former-monger

former-monger Yellow Belt

I'm going back to Thailand going to train in Pattaya and Bangkok later this month. In Pattaya I plan to check out Fairtex haven't been in a while they now having a mma team a boxing coach and ju jitsu classes, I mainly plan to train at Petchrungruang. In Bangkok I'm haven't made up my mind yet Probably check out a couple places

7even likes this.
  10. esum80

esum80 ศิษย์มนต์ชัย

will second that but when i was trying to install and use grab on my phone on the truemove network, i was having all sorts of issues.

and in case people didn't know, namsaknoi is now at rattachai.

11. BigPapaShango

BigPapaShango Green Belt

Has anyone been to Elite fight club in Bangkok?

12. mmajunkie12

mmajunkie12 White Belt

Has Anyone tried evolve mma in Singapore? Can anyone give me inside info on it, I see the 3 month "package" is like 1.2k but is that legit just for training? That seems extremely steep just for training

13. BigPapaShango

BigPapaShango Green Belt

It is know to be extremely expensive. What is the reason you want to go, is it solely for the name?

If its for MT you would be much better off going to Thailand for a month and training.

14. kingkokong

kingkokong Purple Belt

I have done 2 sessions there and it was great! Especially recommend it if Trainer Gae is there during your time.

7even likes this.
  15. mmajunkie12

mmajunkie12 White Belt

i heard it was a great facility. If you know any other options let me know

16. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus GOAT in the North Platinum Member

I’m training at Charn Chai right now and having a blast.

Great trainers here, and Pai is a really cool place.

Tbh, I stayed a couple of nights in Chiang Mai on my way up here and it’s become a really busy and chaotic city compared to last time I was there. If you want a more laid back vibe then Pai is the spot.

17. Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Bee is one of the best trainers I have worked with. He spent a lot of time working in Holland, so he understands how to blend a western style with Muay Thai.

Is Tree still around?

Simian Raticus likes this.
  18. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus GOAT in the North Platinum Member

Yeah Tree is still here keeping everyone quite entertained.