Muaythai gym questions and answers | Page 80

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by cali_chute_boxe, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Luke Calvert Smooth Operator

Luke Calvert
    The lady (the owner's wife) at PTT isn't bad, she gets a bit hyped up when she talks (haha) but just show her respect, some people must have just got on her wrong side.

2. in10sive Blue Belt

in10sive
    Does anyone know where the trainers of 96 penang went after the gym owner change?

3. BigPapaShango Green Belt

BigPapaShango
    So after initially thinking of going to PTT or AKA i have decided on Rattachai staying at the Nayai resort for three weeks. The fact its less commercial than the big ones a street over and they have a good rotation of trainers made sense for me as I want to concentrate on getting my technique better.

Has anyone stayed in the Nayai resort? There is an option for the cozy one also?

4. Crccr Orange Belt

Crccr
    Anyone been to Ted99 gym in Bangkok? Can't seem to find any information online

5. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
    I
    I've been to the owners other venue :)

6. Crccr Orange Belt

Crccr
    Where's that?

7. Ryukyu Damashi Ryukyu Damashi

Ryukyu Damashi
    Saphan Kwai

8. superpunch Double Yellow Card

superpunch
    Question: I'm going to Thailand but will have a job from 8-4. Most gyms have morning sessions like 8-11 and afternoon sessions like 2-5. Is there any training at most gyms outside of those 2 sessions? What about in Bangkok?

9. in10sive Blue Belt

in10sive
    Are teeded99 fighters renowned for their boxing? I am looking to improve my hands a bit.
    They seem to have an entirely new gym.

10. curlyface White Belt

curlyface
    Hello friends! My GF and I are planning a trip to Thailand for 1 month in January. We are hoping to see everything Thailand has to offer but for me personally it's a spiritual and Muay Thai journey as well. I have been training 2 years, never fought yet. I would like to really get everything I can from my MT training while there. I'd like to train 5-6 days a week 1-2 times a day. We are planning on vising Chiang Mai, Phuket, Bangkok, maybe somewhere else too? What are the best gyms to visit in these cities? Budget is not a concern if the training is worth it. Will probably do 1-2 weeks at every gym. I have not read this thread but I will certainly do so prior to making a decision. Was hoping maybe someone who was in a similar position as me could chime in.

11. Regel White Belt

Regel
    Has anyone been to Charnchai, Pai recently? Wanna get up to date info on that place, since I'm probably going there in a month.

12. RichardN7 Purple Belt

RichardN7
    So, I've been planning a trip to Thailand for training for over two years now, and it hasn't come to fruition for one reason or another. However, this summer I might finally get the chance. Since I'm on a limited budget and the flights to Bangkok are cheapest from here in Europe, I'll stay there. Also, I hear the best training is in the capital.
    My question is; where do I train?
    Bangkok is literally flooded by world-class gyms, and each has a bunch of world-renowned trainers/fighters in it. I've sort of narrowed it down to:

-Sitsongpeenong
    -Yokkao Training Center
    -Banchamek Gym
    -Petchyindee Academy
    -Sitmonchai Gym

I've looked at Sitsongpeenong, which is probably enjoying a boom with westerners, due to Sittichai's successes in Glory. I hear the training is serious and intense, the facilities are clean and staff are foreigner-friendly - all pluses in my book. Also, it offers on-site accommodation, which is great for me.

I've seen some great vids of training in Yokkao Training Center. Facilities look great, great stable of fighers/instructors and it seems to have an abundance of both foreigners (so it must be farang-friendly) and Thais (so training must be serious). Thing is, I haven't been able to find info on it (rates, accommodation, etc.)

I'm interested in Banchamek Gym. Buakaw is a legend, so a gym founded by him can't NOT be good. I don't know much about it, if you have any experience there - share it.

Another gym I don't know much about - Petchyindee Academy. If you have any experience/knowledge, let us know what you think.

Another name which you hear thrown about a lot - Sitmonchai Gym. I know it's just outside Bangkok. I wonder what it's like. Advice?

These are my options guys. Let me know what you think.

13. MuayKebber89 White Belt

MuayKebber89
    I've been training and fighting out of Khongsittha Muay Thai in BKK for a year now. I've also trained in Chiang Mai and other reputable gyms in Bangkok. KST is sick in terms of accommodation and training. The owners are younger, customer-service oriented, and catering to a variety of different crowds (local Thais for their fitness classes. Thai entertainment scene for fight choreography, Muay Thai practice. International customers of all skill levels and ages).

It's very rare that a gym can hold trainers for longer than a year, and I've seen some here still that are dedicated to their craft and able to accommodate anyone.

The gym is situated in the Lat Phrao district of Bangkok, located roughly 30 minutes from the hustle and bustle of downtown Bangkok (Thonglor, Sukhumvit). Palm trees, coconuts, and grass are situated in a modern, fully equipped Muay Thai gym that is outdoors. The locker rooms are insanely nice; nicer than any traditional Muay Thai gym you'll find in Thailand.

Training under the Muay Thai package gets you 2.5 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours in the evening of a consistent training routine that is updated constantly. The run starts in the early hours of the morning and they have a Facebook page that gym members are invited into to stay up-to-date with schedules and activities around the gym. The quality of training is up to par with fighter's gyms across Thailand. Padholders include previous Raja champions, a handful of high-level fighters, and a decent grasp of English.

The accommodation is at their partner resort about a 15 second walk behind the gym. The rooms are private, air-conditioned, with a nice bathroom, dresser, and satellite TV.

To be brutally honest, I've been staying at and promoting Khongsittha for a year now because it's miles ahead of other gyms in Bangkok.

Most people coming out to Thailand get a bit confused/starstruck when they see world-champions open gyms. I want to break the myth that training is better or more grueling at a "fighter's gym" than at a "non-fighter's gym."

Training is what you make of it, anywhere in the world. Do you need outside encouragement in order to better yourself, get out of bed in the morning and go train your ass off? Unless you purchase private training, the odds of you sparring with a champion at a champion's gym is rare. A champion's trainers aren't going to be at the same level as a champion. You're going to be paired with a trainer, and he will value his Thai fighters over an international customer 9 times out of 10 if you're training at a "fighter's gym." The routine at fighter's gyms are also brutal; they are designed to break you and rebuild you rather than strengthen you over time.

If it were my first time traveling to Thailand for Muay Thai, I would stay in Bangkok. I would find a gym in a quiet location with a ton of positive reviews, and develop an itinerary that includes private training sessions with a few champions at various gyms. I would have fun and do a bunch of tourist activities, taste as much food as possible and hang out with the trainers and gym managers as much as possible too.

14. RichardN7 Purple Belt

RichardN7
    Anyone got experience/knowledge of Banchamek Gym Bangkok?
    What it's like, training, accommodation, even food, etc...?

15. kingkokong Purple Belt

kingkokong
    One hidden gem of a gym that I trained at last year, with a good stable of fighters on the big shows (Lumpini, Ratchadomnoen and Max). Is Eagle Muay Thai on Chalong, Soi Palai http://www.eaglemuaythaiphuket.com/

I'll be there again next month...