Muay Thai + Wrestling , a good combination?

Wrestling + Boxing is probably a better combo. Most wrestlers prefer boxing over kickboxing because they don't have to leave their base and compromise takedown defense. Examples of the style in action: Mark Munoz, BJ Penn, Brock Lesnar, Rampage. They don't throw many kicks; they box in the standup and use wrestling for TD defense or actively taking the other guy down.

Muay thai + BJJ seems to work well together as well. Examples include: Shogun, Jose Aldo, pretty much anybody thats ever fought for Chute Boxe, and others I can't think of right now. They let their hands and feet fly with little worry for being taken down.

But with the wrestling level being so high in MMA, I think most people are shifting towards wrestling now which naturally moves them into boxing rather than kickboxing.

But nothings set in stone, there are plenty of sick fighters who mix up every style.

Did you really just call BJ Penn a Boxing+WRESTLING guy? He did happen to get a BJJ Black Belt in 4 years.

Otherwise, I agree with a good portion of this post.

In the USA you have arguably the best boxing and the best wrestling coaches available.
You'd be crazy not to take advantage of that.

I may be a bit biased but I honestly think that boxing before muay thai is better. Muay Thai doesn't teach you the basics and fundamentals that you learn in boxing. Muay Thai is cool but they don't know how to box. So it's more like kicking hard and elbows and knees with poor footwork a lazy jab and a slow telegraphed jab cross combo.

Learn how to box!!!

A: Alot of MT guys, particularly in America have solid boxing and cross train alot.

B: I'd rather be a MT guy with mediocre boxing, than a great boxer who has no answer to kicks, knees and elbows.

Not trying to be argumentative, just my opinion.

As for the OP, MT and wrestling would be great but the ideal answer is to train MT, boxing, BJJ, wrestling and judo. And believe it or not some clubs do have these programs.

A: Alot of MT guys, particularly in America have solid boxing and cross train alot.

B: I'd rather be a MT guy with mediocre boxing, than a great boxer who has no answer to kicks, knees and elbows.

As for the OP, MT and wrestling would be great but the ideal answer is to train MT, boxing, BJJ, wrestling and judo. And believe it or not some clubs do have these programs.

Man, I was doing Judo but my sensei was too lazy and not a good teacher. I didn't learn much with him.

Great combination. Excellent tool to have once you're in the clinch, both offensively and defensively, as long as your knees don't get caught. In that case, I suggest a Chael Sonnen barrel-roll.

Yes, it will be good. Don't forget to train sub defense tho...

Like in anything, you must immerse yourself in kickboxing without thinking about going to the ground so your stand up skills don't suck ass. That would put you in grave danger. *See - Gomi vs Griffin (worst fkn low kick I have seen in a while, and he got KO'd for it)

Get good at wrestling too. After you have a handle on both - then work MMA.

This. When training, make sure to keep seperate mindsets for each (no takedowns in MT, no strikes in wrestling. don't even think about it). However,in MMA, You need to make sure that you're keeping you're knees bent, and that you are adopting the proper stance so that if you need to shoot, then you still have the power to land it. If this is the skill set that you want to start with, then you need to learn to switch stances effectively, especially with the crouched stance when utilizing it in MMA. Unless, you have crazy explosiveness, it is difficult to get a powerful shot if you're stance is too upright and erect.

To be honest bud, you should be trying your absolute hardest to train BJJ as well. Also, from experience I can tell you that Muay Thai alone won't teach you great hand technique, and so I'd recommend finding a legit MMA gym.

If you're serious about wanting to fight, and don't have much experience at anything, then you should try and immerse yourself in everything, find out what your best at, and focus on that area. Don't let yourself get away from other areas, but in this day and age it's important to excel in at least 1 area, and be quite good in others.

IF you've found that the ground game doesn't come natural to you, but you pick up very well on boxing/ MT, then a MT/ Wrestling double focus wouldn't be bad.

I have never trained Bjj in my life and with 6 years muay thai and 2 years wrestling with one of the top highschool programs in the province ( I am from Canada) I am 4-0. mastering these styles always give you options no matter where the fight goes and no matter what the strengths of your opponent.

Hmm

You want to get risk taken down when you're a wrestler?

Go for it then.

Best base is Boxing + Wrestling.
then
BJJ

followed by muay thai.

I'd rather be a good boxer with mediocre MT than the other way around. You're not going to be doing teeps and clinching in MMA. You need to rely on your hands.

i always prefered the rampage who was with team oyama to the new boxing rampage he would clinch and knee and maybe slam instead of box alot

I believe muay thai & wrestling is a very good combination but if you plan on doing mma it would be even better if you could find an MMA gym that provides legit training in catch wrestling. I know catch is very hard to find but I believe it is much more of a stronger grappling style than bjj. If you can find a place to train both catch wrestling & muay thai that would be great.

Hmm

You want to get risk taken down when you're a wrestler?

Go for it then.

Best base is Boxing + Wrestling.
then
BJJ

followed by muay thai.

Now come on, it's not as simple as that, there is no equation.

Any full contact grappling style in combination with any full contact striking art with punches to the face will be good.

Boxing or MT + Judo or wrestling or submission wrestling or sambo.

The best combination depends on what is available.

EDIT Oh and BTW I think that the best grappling art for MMA would be a form of nogi judo with emphasis on submissions. But this is not standard and not many people train that, which is a shame.

You can't go wrong with this skillset. Make sure you're training wrestling with submissions in mind though if you're planning on transitioning to MMA.

Have you ever thought of trying Judo? You would have a good understanding of control + submissions plus it's very cheap in most places.
Wredtling > Judo

Wrestling + Boxing is probably a better combo. Most wrestlers prefer boxing over kickboxing because they don't have to leave their base and compromise takedown defense. Examples of the style in action: Mark Munoz, BJ Penn, Brock Lesnar, Rampage. They don't throw many kicks; they box in the standup and use wrestling for TD defense or actively taking the other guy down.

Muay thai + BJJ seems to work well together as well. Examples include: Shogun, Jose Aldo, pretty much anybody thats ever fought for Chute Boxe, and others I can't think of right now. They let their hands and feet fly with little worry for being taken down.

But with the wrestling level being so high in MMA, I think most people are shifting towards wrestling now which naturally moves them into boxing rather than kickboxing.

But nothings set in stone, there are plenty of sick fighters who mix up every style.
Ither exsmples include Frankie Edgar and Velazquez (although they're more well rounded), Mirsad Bektic, Stipe Miocic, Cody Garbrandt, Sean Sherk, GSP (although well rounded) and many more.

Great combination. Excellent tool to have once you're in the clinch, both offensively and defensively, as long as your knees don't get caught. In that case, I suggest a Chael Sonnen barrel-roll.
Anderson Silva wasn't trying to take him down so thats not good enough. If DC caught his leg

According to Joe Lewis who did Wrestling, Karate, Boxing and Kickboxing, a wrestler will beat them all (and he's right).

Jon Jones used TKD kicks, not Muay Thai. He chambers his roundhouses and throws spinning sidekicks.

Back