Muay Thai stadium rules on leg grabbing when catching a knee

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
I have researched this but can't seem to find conclusive info.

Is it legal to catch the leg when the opponent throws a knee ? If so, what are the details?

Thanks !

Yeah it's legal but you risk eating an elbow if you're not cautious.

It's also much easier to escape a knee catch simply by pulling your leg back down than it is to escape a kick catch.

Oh great txs. I have had alot of success at catching the leg and sweeping when getting kneed. But since it is rarely seen at legit levels, I was wondering.

Yeah it's legal but you risk eating an elbow if you're not cautious.

Txs for answering.

Are you aware of technicalities like e.g. you can grab the inside but not the outside, or stuff like you cannot use both hands, etc.?

I know that thai rules can be tricky with techniques related to throws and sweeps.

Why not just time the knee and attack the base leg with a sweep/trip/dump instead?

They did ban plowing, when you catch a kick then run them backwards on one leg and attack them against the ropes.

They did ban plowing, when you catch a kick then run them backwards on one leg and attack them against the ropes.

Is that ban at all related to that one incident where a MT fighter got pushed backwards on one leg, hit and went through the ropes and broke his back or something?

Is that ban at all related to that one incident where a MT fighter got pushed backwards on one leg, hit and went through the ropes and broke his back or something?
I don't know that for certain but wouldn't be surprising. There had been some really brutal finishes using that move. One that stands out was in one of the Jongsanan vs Sakmongkol matches.

Was from Rainbow Sor Prantaley vs Den Muangsurin fight. Rainbow caught Den's kick and ran him back across the ring into the ropes. As Den stumbled back Rainbow jumped up with a high kick, but Den managed to get out of way and Rainbow went over ropes himself and crashed into floor below knocking himself out.

kick, kick, kick

balanced as fuck

bye-bye

Perhaps the greatest individual performance in the course of five seconds you will see in a ring.

Was from Rainbow Sor Prantaley vs Den Muangsurin fight. Rainbow caught Den's kick and ran him back across the ring into the ropes. As Den stumbled back Rainbow jumped up with a high kick, but Den managed to get out of way and Rainbow went over ropes himself and crashed into floor below knocking himself out.

Seems a bit strange that they banned this move after the aggressor himself was injured and not the guy jumping on his one leg to the ropes.

Btw, in this bout:

is the move at 6:52 legit considering the "plowing ban"?

Seems a bit strange that they banned this move after the aggressor himself was injured and not the guy jumping on his one leg to the ropes.

Btw, in this bout:

is the move at 6:52 legit considering the "plowing ban"?

the rule change was that you could only go forward two steps I think after catching leg, so think it that case ok. Don't think it was a matter of who was injured the aggressor or the other guy, more just that it was seen as too dangerous

Back