Muay Thai roundhouse - bent or straight upon contact?

Interesting. Can you please elaborate on what the time and place for each is?

I'm guessing the more traditional variation (the one where you rotate 180 degrees) is more useful for power and the thai coach's version is better for speed?

so going back to the straight punch vs hook analogy, the straight kick will be thrown in a straight line, to the ribs, up under the elbow. On a guy with his elbows out, more traditional thai stance. The "hook" would be to go around something, so for example, to kick the arm, coming around it. Target area for both kicks is at rib level, one goes under the elbow, one goes around.

2:12 & 3:30

just read through all the comments and watched the videos posted. Solid stuff guys im impressed with some of the knowledge here. This is one of the things not many ppl know, and many ppl are not willing to share. All the videos posted show what needed to be shown.

I usually throw my roundhouse with a straight leg, but I find a slightly bent kick digs in a bit more, and straightening right after impact helps to reset the kicking leg faster.

Didn't your Thai instructor teach you both variants? They say any MT instructor worth his salt would.
Depends on the instructor. The same can be said about boxing, if you aren't taught both the high guard and thr shell, he's a can.

Who is 'They'.........

Serbians.

<Fedor23>

Yeah i trained with a thai instructor that was from thailand, and a french instructor who travels to thailand every year, i've never heard of anyone in muay thau bending the leg upon impact, both of the muay thai instructors taught me to keep the leg as straight as possible.

bc0e726382557eeba88c71e6c865d2da.jpg

20140810064030__62D8853.JPG

missing the bigger point..

its going to depend on the angle available and distance

look at a clock, 12-6. we all know that punches can be thrown coming in at any of these angles, same goes for kicks.

look at a clock, 12-6. we all know that punches can be thrown coming in at any of these angles, same goes for kicks.

Only professional box kickers, Nak Muay just march forward........

Nak Muay are like the equivalent of first world war doctrine for stand up fighters......

Oh ok, their were other instructors telling me to keep the leg straight while kicking when my leg was bent while kicking

No worries...lots of variations among instructors/camps/etc in Muay Thai.

Back