Muay Thai once or twice a week worth it?

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I mainly train for self defense. I’ve been training BJJ for the past 7 years I usually can only make class twice a week so my improvements are very slow.

I really want to learn stand up, I took a couple MT classes and really enjoyed it. I’m just wondering if it’s going to be pointless if I only make it once a week or twice a week. I’m also 38 and my body doesn’t recover as quick. I’m not sure how much sparring MT does in the beginning, I want to spar but I don’t want to get too injured lol!!

Any thoughts ? Am I too old or should I give it a try? I have zero boxing experience

Once or twice a week is more than enough to learn fundamental striking self defense. If you go once a week, within a year you will be pretty good :)
I've actually had way more injuries from rolling than what I've gotten from my kickboxing spars/fights. More bruises from striking but nowhere near the amount of bad pops and torn muscle etc...

DO IT! JUST DO IT!

Yeah I have gotten some serious injuries from BJJ, maybe it’s the twisting or everything

Is it just me or do you guys get accidental elbows and knees alot when rolling?

I mainly train for self defense. I’ve been training BJJ for the past 7 years I usually can only make class twice a week so my improvements are very slow.

I really want to learn stand up, I took a couple MT classes and really enjoyed it. I’m just wondering if it’s going to be pointless if I only make it once a week or twice a week. I’m also 38 and my body doesn’t recover as quick. I’m not sure how much sparring MT does in the beginning, I want to spar but I don’t want to get too injured lol!!

Any thoughts ? Am I too old or should I give it a try? I have zero boxing experience
Better than zero days a week.

Start with once a week, move up to 2x a week when your body feels like it wont get injured from doing that.

You're the one paying the money and it's your body. Doing nothing (like what most people do) isn't seen as shameful so don't take any flak from anyone, it's none of their business how much you train unless they're training you for free. Just train for fun and go wherever you want from there, that's what a lot of really good pros did.

I feel like if you’re interested you should at least try it. Doesn’t necessarily mean you will stick with it but it’s always worth a try

I'm 42 and just started training again after a very long time. I do 1 day a week MT and boxing 1 day. But try to do bag work at least 3 days extra if I can.

10 months in and I've definitely improved alot. due to my hours I can't train more but I'm thinking of going to a new boxing gym to fit in another few sessions.

No issues so far apart from bruised ribs which stopped me training for 2 weeks

once or twice a week is better than 0 time a week

Thanks for the advice I got in an early morning class today I really liked it, I’m sorry already probably tensing up too much, but really fun

Its still a lot better than not trainning at all, of course you won't improve as fast as if you were trainning twice a day 6 days a week like they do in thailand but you will still improve.
At the end of the day whatever makes you happy just go for it.

If you are not going to compete power it twice a week this good.

But if it is to compete the best would be every day

Back