MUAY THAI LEVEL CHANGE COMBO

Quiet Russian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Muay Thai World Champion Sergei Hidchenko explains how to throw a level change combination using the opponent's reactions.

Just watch out for the knee or roundhouse that may come if you do it often in a match, when you go for the straight to the body. I am one of those guys that don't do body punches in MT (or even hooks). I always try to stand tall, and I really like to make my opponent pay if his head changes level.
But I like your vids nevertheless...

The GOAT combo 1,2,3,kick

At best you'll land the left hook and leg kick properly. Overall, a great combo and will have to incorporate.

At best you'll land the left hook and leg kick properly. Overall, a great combo and will have to incorporate.
Depends on which is your kill strike(s), I like using an uppercut instead of the hook on this variant though.

A heavy hook makes the opponent be heavy on his opposite leg, so he's not in a good balance to check the leg kick coming from the other side.
That's why left hook-right low kick is such a classic combo in KB. You can throw the kick with your eyes closed, it wont be checked. Even if the hook is blocked, if it's a heavy punch, the opponent will put his left foot down.

Nice video, but I think in order for the body strike, hook and leg kick to land properly is pressure, if someone is standing in front of me willing to trade back/counter knee, I am probably not gonna throw these strikes. However, it all changes if they are off balance. Cool combo though

Just watch out for the knee or roundhouse that may come if you do it often in a match, when you go for the straight to the body. I am one of those guys that don't do body punches in MT (or even hooks). I always try to stand tall, and I really like to make my opponent pay if his head changes level.
But I like your vids nevertheless...
If the other guy is taller you think is convenient to punch to the body ?
My Muay Thai coach used to teach us a lot of combos with body punches but I never fought so I don´t know.

Convenient maybe, but still risky for me. His knees will have a longer reach than a shorter fighter. So you may not need to duck a lot to tag him , but he will still be able to knee you in the head.
I use mostly straight punches to the face, to make my opponent shell up, to open way for body kicks or knees, then we usually clinch, or go back to a safer distance. From outside i use teeps and lows. I honestly don't feel safe using a straight punch to the body, and the reward is not worth the risk for me. And for the hooks, that means i am in a distance to knee/elbow or clinch, so that's what i do.

But that's my style, pretty basic. Others may offer better explanations, other options...
But if you use body punches, don't spam them, don't single them. He will be waiting for you.

Also, i believe reach advantage in MT is a nightmare. Taller guy has advantage in the clinch. In medium distance with straight knees and elbows when you are coming in. And obviously at kicking distance, were he can tag you while you can't. So you got to be faster, use faints, and aggression.

My Muay Thai coach used to teach us a lot of combos with body punches but I never fought so I don´t know.

That, for me, is not MT. It's KB. Long punch combos, body punches, hooks, it' s the sign of a KB gym with maybe MT orientation if they add elbows...
Don't forget in MT, a punch to the body wont give you points. Even a punch to the face, if it doesn't make obvious damage, wont score...

Convenient maybe, but still risky for me. His knees will have a longer reach than a shorter fighter. So you may not need to duck a lot to tag him , but he will still be able to knee you in the head.
I use mostly straight punches to the face, to make my opponent shell up, to open way for body kicks or knees, then we usually clinch, or go back to a safer distance. From outside i use teeps and lows. I honestly don't feel safe using a straight punch to the body, and the reward is not worth the risk for me. And for the hooks, that means i am in a distance to knee/elbow or clinch, so that's what i do.

But that's my style, pretty basic. Others may offer better explanations, other options...
But if you use body punches, don't spam them, don't single them. He will be waiting for you.

Also, i believe reach advantage in MT is a nightmare. Taller guy has advantage in the clinch. In medium distance with straight knees and elbows when you are coming in. And obviously at kicking distance, were he can tag you while you can't. So you got to be faster, use faints, and aggression.

That, for me, is not MT. It's KB. Long punch combos, body punches, hooks, it' s the sign of a KB gym with maybe MT orientation if they add elbows...
Don't forget in MT, a punch to the body wont give you points. Even a punch to the face, if it doesn't make obvious damage, wont score...
He´s a real Muay Thai kru, he fought in Thailand and other places but he ´s brazilian, thing is that most coaches these days seem to mix some stuff but is nice to know some differences as I usually here I have reach advantage and well love clinching and throw sometimes...

Back