Muay Thai Kiai...

Gallon

White Belt
Reaction score
Hope everyone knows what a kiai is, for Muay Thai it's this:

Anyone else a "fan" of the grunting and kiai? For me, it comes naturally. I've had training partners do it after me and say it worked for them.

I believe it's a "vocal" release of effort. Anyways, thoughts, opinions, etc.?

Also, I think there's a wrong way to do it (he just sounds weird, like a goat or something):

I never like kiai as i've always prefer a strong but silent breath. It rather irritated the shit out of me whenever someone hit the bag or the pad and kiai the heck out of the mouth.

If there is anything that almost can't be wrong it is how you kiai. As long as it comes from you and invokes the psychological advantage of yelling, it is good. The fact that some people have grating voices or personalities is besides the point. People don't grunt to be pleasant.

If there is anything that almost can't be wrong it is how you kiai. As long as it comes from you and invokes the psychological advantage of yelling, it is good. The fact that some people have grating voices or personalities is besides the point. People don't grunt to be pleasant.

Exactly, there's no wrong sound you can make when you strike. It's not about sounding cool, it's about getting more power and who cares what sound you make to do that.

I'm a fan of it since I come from a Karate Background. I believe it has a lot more application in a self defense scenario, as it also has a disorienting effect on the assailant. In terms of Padwork or Sparring it will come out sometimes involuntarily at intense moments. I don't see a problem with it as long as its spontenous and not done all the time. If you're sparring and constantly having your mouth open, it could lead to you getting knocked out.

The white guy sounds like he's trying to imitate his mates... an imitated kiai doesn't work the same way as a real one. KWIM?

Also, I think there's a wrong way to do it (he just sounds weird, like a goat or something):

images

Nothing wrong with a bit of grunting or yelling, however it may sound.

I was discouraged from doing it at AKA, they said it was bad practice to open my jaw that much and I should make the boxer "psss" exhale instead. Now that I'm at a Muay Thai gym (vs mma) they encourage the growl/yell. I can say it really improves your cardio and power.

I love the sounds of the Muay Thai camps in Thailand. Every camp has a unique sound.

I was discouraged from doing it at AKA, they said it was bad practice to open my jaw that much and I should make the boxer "psss" exhale instead. Now that I'm at a Muay Thai gym (vs mma) they encourage the growl/yell. I can say it really improves your cardio and power.

We need a study on this

The only wrong way to do it is to not do it at all. I go with a more quiet hiss that turns into a louder "hahhass" sorta sound when I'm going hard or getting tired.

I think for a lot of people in North American it's a weird concept to make a noise like that. In most traditional North American sports you don't make sounds like that with the obvious exception being tennis. For example, you don't hear a baseball playing yelling when he swings the bat or throws a pitch.

i think it helps with tightening your core too when you do it...buakaw has the most pronounced sound. my coach has a similar sound too.

when i'm hittin' the bags with hands i tend to do the shhh like a boxer...but during muay thai i find myself to naturally kiai

I like to just stop and listen at the gym every now and then. It is a pretty cool sound when training is in full swing. All of the fighters and trainers all have their own unique sounds. That mixed with people jumping rope, hitting bags and pads. It is like a symphony of sorts.

I like to just stop and listen at the gym every now and then. It is a pretty cool sound when training is in full swing. All of the fighters and trainers all have their own unique sounds. That mixed with people jumping rope, hitting bags and pads. It is like a symphony of sorts.

Aaaahaha yes yes yes!

Anyone else a "fan" of the grunting and kiai? For me, it comes naturally. I've had training partners do it after me and say it worked for them.

I consider breathing very important in martial arts. It recovers you with fresh air when you inhale, it prevents being knocked down easily by the punch or kick in the diaphragm, it helps you make a good rhythm in fight, it helps you to be faster and more explosive, etc. There are so many benefits of good and different breathing in the martial arts that it is a great subject to talk about. Kiai is also special kind of breathing and there are many benefits from it as well. With Kiai, you bring the most out of yourself on training and in battle. The least important is how it sounds but what it gives to you. The best way is to find it naturally. Putting the most Energy and power in your punches and kicks in training makes your training harder and gives you definitive path towards crossing your borders. Also you learn how to control yourself and you will not use it often in a fight, but when you need it for finishing blows, when you train it regularly you will know how and when to use it. If you don't train in that way it is hard for you to use it when is needed because your body has no knowledge of it and it did not become natural. It can be embarrassing for some people to use it but you need to be free in your mind, without prejudice and to alow yourself to learn different kind of stuff, at the end you decide what kind of weapon you will take to the battle but first you must have all the needed weapons at yourself. I consider trained Kiai as one of such great weapons that you use only one or few times in a fight.

P.S. About the "GOATMAN", I think that he has good Kiai, but he cannot use it in a proper way because he has his mouth piece in his mouth. In that situation every single one of us would sound like a goat. So, please, don't rush so easily into a conclusions and please stop giving nicknames before you have all needed information, it is not in a spirit of true and sincere martial artists. ;)

Kindest regards to you all!

OSU!

Sensei Žarko Dukić

People signing their name with sensei, give me mixed feelings.

Anyway. You guys should check this out. Here you see usefull kai at its finest.

@shincheckin this is something you need to work on if you ever plan on training people in karate.

I use to yell like a saiyan when I would get tired it helps.

So is kiai, thai for "bagwork"?

Last edited:
I consider breathing very important in martial arts. It recovers you with fresh air when you inhale, it prevents being knocked down easily by the punch or kick in the diaphragm, it helps you make a good rhythm in fight, it helps you to be faster and more explosive, etc. There are so many benefits of good and different breathing in the martial arts that it is a great subject to talk about. Kiai is also special kind of breathing and there are many benefits from it as well. With Kiai, you bring the most out of yourself on training and in battle. The least important is how it sounds but what it gives to you. The best way is to find it naturally. Putting the most Energy and power in your punches and kicks in training makes your training harder and gives you definitive path towards crossing your borders. Also you learn how to control yourself and you will not use it often in a fight, but when you need it for finishing blows, when you train it regularly you will know how and when to use it. If you don't train in that way it is hard for you to use it when is needed because your body has no knowledge of it and it did not become natural. It can be embarrassing for some people to use it but you need to be free in your mind, without prejudice and to alow yourself to learn different kind of stuff, at the end you decide what kind of weapon you will take to the battle but first you must have all the needed weapons at yourself. I consider trained Kiai as one of such great weapons that you use only one or few times in a fight.

P.S. About the "GOATMAN", I think that he has good Kiai, but he cannot use it in a proper way because he has his mouth piece in his mouth. In that situation every single one of us would sound like a goat. So, please, don't rush so easily into a conclusions and please stop giving nicknames before you have all needed information, it is not in a spirit of true and sincere martial artists. ;)

Kindest regards to you all!

OSU!

Sensei Žarko Dukić

Yeah the guy is really going to reply to a post he made 5 years ago.......try making your own thread.........<Lmaoo>

Back