Muay thai gear in Thailand or Australia

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by AusTosh, Oct 22, 2017.

1. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Hey,

been lurking sherdog for a while especially whilst at work but thought I'd finally create my own account, so hey lads.

quick question: I'm going to Thailand for nearly a month in a couple of months to stay and train at a MT gym. Unfortunately as I don't have any MT background, I don't really have any MT gear... I've been looking online and I guess I more or less wanted to ask fellow sherdoggers that have been to Thailand before if it's cheaper to buy MT gear in Thailand e.g. gloves and shinguard (I'll be in Bangkok) or if there's really no difference whether I buy from an online store or an Australian store (I'm from Australia).

thanks guys

Gammo2184 likes this.
  2. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    bump any insight would help please.

3. Ryyonvin Orange Belt

Ryyonvin
    It would be cheaper buying
    I have never been to Thailand but since you’re not getting many replies I figured I would chime in. In reading other members experiences, it seems that the gear is always cheaper in Thailand. You can also verify this claim by visiting a gear website that’s based in Thailand. The prices are almost always cheaper when you’re not factoring in the shipping costs.

I imagine since the gear is made there and the country is generally poor compared to more modernized countries it’s going to be cheaper.

Lastly, there was an old thread here called “guide to actionzone” or something like that, which talks about a popular gear shop in Bangkok. If you go to the website you should be able to see their prices and compare them to the Australian ones. Hope this helps a bit

AusTosh likes this.
  4. RDL81 White Belt

RDL81
    I recently got some fairtex from these guys MuayThaiGoods.com
    They where really helpful so why not message them

5. Avin1973 Yellow Belt

Avin1973
    Try here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MuayThai/

Sylvie from 8 limb lives there and hangs on that sub.

6. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Thanks mate.

Yeah good op, did my research whilst at work lol and noticed that actionzone site is cheaper by $30 or so for a pair of gloves, so I'll just buy it once I arrive there i guess. Gonna go for the Fairtex or Twin specials as recommended to me by a mate. feel free to chime in if you know of any better gloves!

That's actually a pretty mad subreddit. surprising to see so many beginners go!

Avin1973 likes this.
  7. Ryyonvin Orange Belt

Ryyonvin

I'd also give boon a look if they're available there. Definitely my favorite of the Thai brands. Great construction, very durable and beautiful leather.

Not a fan of fairtex's flagship model, bgv1 but I appear to be in the minority when it comes to that. I love just about everything else they make though.

Twins is pretty solid, good protection both for you and your partner. Pretty big glove though and break down quicker then I'd like. Although at the prices in Thailand they're a much better deal.

8. freaky Black Belt

freaky
    You going to thailand? Buy a shit ton of everything. Everything is so cheap there especially muay thai trunks. OMFG!!! 5 dollars vs 25 dollars for the same trunks.

9. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Yeah matie i'm going with who trains MT (I did mention I'm a MT noob but I actually compete in shinkyokushin karate which is full contact karate and also do boxing on top) recommended me Boon gloves saying they're top quality. Guess i'll just wait till I head to Thailand and get everything there, seems like the right way to go! thanks for the direction too though man, appreciate it.

Yeah man, i'm 23 now, broke up with mrs of 4 years so taking a month off work to train full time for a month and get out of rat race in sydney. If I could afford Japan I'd go there as I compete in kyokushin but Thailand's nice and cheap for someone my age, plus surely I'd still get some great training and mate says they can accustom to your style as I'd probably lean more towards dutch kickboxing having a kyokushin and boxing background, (who knows, I'm no pro yet haha but I've won national amateur in my division!) but yeah mate excited as lol

Ryyonvin likes this.
  10. Avin1973 Yellow Belt

Avin1973
    As for gloves, never tried Boon or Fairtex, but I can guarantee that Top King and Twins are excellent.

11. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    I always compare a few things and weigh up the pros and cons vs cost (assuming it's always cheaper othberwise you wouldn't even explore the option) in no particular order:

• Quality?
    • Can I get it locally?
    • What happens if it goes wrong?
    • Supporting the local market
    The last ones are actually pretty high up there for me. If I'm not sure where I'm buying it from (it might not be a mmawarehouse.com for example) any sort of warranty is pretty much a write off. In supporting the local market, if I know the person that owns the shop, and he's helped me and my team out for example, even if he's a few bucks more expensive, I'd chuck some money their way.

12. thecombatco TheCombatCo.com Fight Gear Supplies

thecombatco
    Hey mate,
    We are an Aussie company that sells fight gear (TheCombatCo.com) and has most of our products are shipped directly to you from Thailand, so you will end up getting the same quality except that we can provide you with an extensive return policy and consumer protections. In the end, if you do buy your gear from Thailand they will be definitely cheaper than us, but they won't be able to provide you with the same kind of protections and guarantees that we do.

If you are interested in using us, I would suggest our new SICK Yokkao products (made in Thailand) or our BAD BOY Fighter Kit or Muay Thai Beginner Kit. I also made the code AUSTOSH just for you, which will get you 5% off all our products.

13. Gammo2184 Kill'n Em

Gammo2184

Hey mate! Where are u training? U said your in Bangkok first right? If so their is a heap of places to get gear. Action zone is great as it's easy to get to (10 mins walk from national stadium BTS) n right next door there is about 3 other stores that sell stuff also! U also have stores at the stadiums raja has a twins store n new lumpinee has topking, twins n kaewsamrit if I'm correct but it may have changed as I haven't been back to the stadium for 2 years. There is also the separate boon store near on-nut station n top king store near old lumpinee

AusTosh likes this.
  14. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Hey mate, I'll be training at this gym called Kiatphontip gym which is in the outskirts of Bangkok but yeah practically still Bangkok I guess lol. Though I've decided to just book the night in Bangkok Sukhumvit area as I've come to terms it'd be much cheaper to buy my gears and essentials over there compared to back home. Matie i'm going with has ranted about the boon store so we're definitely going to check that out as well as the other stores, (defs will take into account your advice/guide too!) keen as to see some muay thai fights though. you seem like a lad with some experience up your sleeves when it comes to training in Thailand haha, where'd you train at in Thailand if you don't mind me asking, how was your overall experience and what would you say would be a reasonable weekly budget?

Gammo2184 likes this.
  15. Gammo2184 Kill'n Em

Gammo2184
    Ah kiatphontip is meant to be very good. I was considering going their last year to prep for a fight but plans fell through. I've had a few mates train their n rate it. I've sort of trained in a few different places in Bangkok, Isaan n Phuket. Overall I've never really had a bad experience in Bangkok n Isaan but Phuket can b hit n miss but best thing is if u dont like it u can just move on. Most camps in Bangkok supply food so my budget was quite low as I really only spent money on gear or if I wanted to get food other then Thai the camps served. Times ive gone have been to purely train so no money was really needed for partying or anything so I was easily able to survive off $100 AUD a week.

Boon is great stuff I regularly use a pair of their lace up gloves for fight preps n have been going strong for about 3 years, their shorts are also top quality. I think personally them n twins r the best for quality. U can get off at on-nut station n catch a bike taxi for like $2 to the shop.

16. muaythaimall Muay Thai Gear Shop Bangkok

muaythaimall
    Purchase in Thailand. It's much cheaper. If you're new to Muay Thai come past our our shop and I'll help pick the right gear for you. Different gear such as gloves and shin guards fit people differently. It's best to try it on and see which you like best.

By the way out in-store domestic prices are a little cheaper than our website.
    Here's a link with a map in Thai and English if you end of dropping by.
    https://www.muaythaimall.com/muay-thai-equipment/

AusTosh likes this.
  17. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    Hey mate, thanks for that. I was going to order some Twin special gloves so I can break into them before I head over to Thailand mid Dec. Defs will pass by your shop man and get some Shinguards and Muay Thai Gear. Maybe I can even pull out this thread when I'm at your shop haha to ensure that TS service satisfaction :p

I noticed your website is cheaper too compared to aussie outlets when it comes to Muay Thai gloves so I'd be highly interested in purchasing the Twin special gloves off your site ASAP. However, hope you understand, a month wait can be a while and I certainly don't need two muay thai gloves so was wandering what the estimated shipping delivery time is upon payment for Sydney, Australia?

18. AusTosh White Belt

AusTosh
    nah that's awesome and good to hear. happy to get out of the race race in Sydney and wake up only thinking about training. (yes rat race gets real in syd haha..although I'm 23... been working full time since 18 and finishing off uni plus training every night = stress lol)

Yeah like you man, more keen on Bangkok, especially Kiatphontip as I heard it's further away from the distractions. Tbh, doesn't faze me too much anyway cause my goal there is to train... partying can be done anywhere at any time imo, even back home... Europe etc. so that'll be the last thing on my mind.

Gammo2184 likes this.
  19. Gammo2184 Kill'n Em

Gammo2184

Lol I know all about it I live in Sydney myself....our traffic, cost of living n general everyday cuntyness of this place gets to u! I've always chosen out of the way gyms myself. Most towns have a system set up that u can catch a minibus too bangkok for a few hundred baht (I think it was 100 baht to get to victory monument bus interchange) so it works perfectly if u wanna do something different especially on Sunday's with no training. What part of Sydney do u live? Once your back if u wanna train further I fight out of a small gym in the west. Our trainer used to fight out of por.pongsawang gym in Bangkok n just opened up his own place over here a bit over a year or so ago

20. Ryyonvin Orange Belt

Ryyonvin
    Hey @muaythaimall - What is the difference between the regular Raja gloves, and their premium line?