MUAY THAI CUT KICK COUNTER TO MIDDLE KICK

Quiet Russian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Muay Thai World Champ Sergey Hidchenko teaches how to block and catch the opponent's middle kick and chop him down to the ground.

Cool video, you guys are in SPb? I think I will move back there permanently after both me and my girlfriend finish our studies, it will be cool to train here, it looks like a nice place he has.

Cool video, you guys are in SPb? I think I will move back there permanently after both me and my girlfriend finish our studies, it will be cool to train here, it looks like a nice place he has.
Hey brother, yes , we are in SPb, you are always welcome here!

Have Sambo and judo too ?
I may go to Russia for the world cup and maybe stay more or before the cup ...
Sure thing mate. We specialize in Sambo. You are very welcome!
You can always reach Kirill through the phone +79111724450

I never understood the obsession with eating a full force body kick to catch it. Great you caught the kick and have 4 broken ribs.

This way is much more logical.

You can also side step away from the kick, making it loose some power when it reaches you, and still be able to catch it. Easier, but not as safe as op's method.

I never understood the obsession with eating a full force body kick to catch it. Great you caught the kick and have 4 broken ribs.

This way is much more logical.
2 reasons this usually happens:

1) New guys are shit at timing and don't see the kick before its too late and can't step out of the power line. Some are from MMA gyms as well and have their very forward heavy stance which makes checking alot harder.

2) Training style:
In most gyms, sparring isn't usually the 80%+ rough semi-exhibition match sparring, balls to wall type. Its usually a lighter 30-50% (power) sparring. A problem with newer folks (myself included, when I first started) was thinking keeping it lower in power means slow as well. They need time to learn how to throw fast, yet easing off on the power.

Because of this, they end up throwing a telegraphed or weak kick, and the toolbag (usually a grappler signing up for their first MT camp) who tries to catch everything, does it thinking there's no penalty (eating a light, slow bodykick doesn't hurt) and that it's a legit form of defence; Doing that all camp ingrains bad habits, and come fight night, their opponent is throwing a full 100% power + fast kick, and the kid ends up relying on his training (which is now muscle memory) which is: do nothing but eat it just to catch it.
And its stupid imo, a dump (technique, not #2) is nice to the crowd and is good on points, but most of the time it doesn't do damage, whereas trading rib damage for flashy spectator move is a bad exchange.

The dun goof moment ones I see, are guys who kick hard and fast, and the guy who eats it wasn't fast enough to catch it, lol.

You can also side step away from the kick, making it loose some power when it reaches you, and still be able to catch it. Easier, but not as safe as op's method.
Its pretty crafty, but I still prefer (hard to explain) the one where you block it (dipping slightly), then using the other hand to grab it from the block (cupping, grabbing by palm facing up) and working from there.

Because of this, they end up throwing a telegraphed or weak kick, and the toolbag (usually a grappler signing up for their first MT camp) who tries to catch everything, does it thinking there's no penalty (eating a light, slow bodykick doesn't hurt) and that it's a legit form of defence; Doing that all camp ingrains bad habits, and come fight night, their opponent is throwing a full 100% power + fast kick, and the kid ends up relying on his training (which is now muscle memory) which is: do nothing but eat it just to catch it.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves that people do doing sparring.

People should make the connection between pads and light sparring. I was once holding pads for a guy and I've never been so sure in my entire life that he snapped both bones in both arms he kicked so fucking hard. I was just like "well both my arms are now broken, shit." I was literally surprised that he didn't break my arms after I regained feeling. No fucking way I'm eating that on purpose.

Another thing is, since it's easy to catch a kick in a light sparring, a lot of newbs will trip you, throw you after catching one. I understand if you do it once or twice but common man... just do the movement.

Another thing is, since it's easy to catch a kick in a light sparring, a lot of newbs will trip you, throw you after catching one. I understand if you do it once or twice but common man... just do the movement.
Some full just don´t do sparring for getting better, just to be douchebags

I like seeing this technique off of a check instead of stepping away from the kick
Or X blocking with the glove and arms. It's a cool variation.
that is a huge pet peeve of mine. I don't mind a catch and then a simulated trip/sweep/dump, but if you put me on my ass when we're playing soft then I'm probably going to start throwing with meaner intentions.

It definitely annoying. Worse are the guys who try to do the technique fast, but don't know how to, and they borderline almost blow your knee out

Some full just don´t do sparring for getting better, just to be douchebags
gym heros. Don't compete, but treat every session like its an real fight. Then they get paired up with the top fighters of the gym, and you don't see them again for another 3-8 months. I actually met a guy who counted his sparring sessions as his fight record, total tool bag. He was apparently 20-12 with that record.

Its pretty crafty, but I still prefer (hard to explain) the one where you block it (dipping slightly), then using the other hand to grab it from the block (cupping, grabbing by palm facing up) and working from there.

Would this be the method you're thinking of? For me it's harder to setup since I lose the leg more often between the block and the catch compared to the method shown in the OP, but if I do get the leg caught I have more success getting the sweep.

It definitely annoying. Worse are the guys who try to do the technique fast, but don't know how to, and they borderline almost blow your knee out

gym heros. Don't compete, but treat every session like its an real fight. Then they get paired up with the top fighters of the gym, and you don't see them again for another 3-8 months. I actually met a guy who counted his sparring sessions as his fight record, total tool bag. He was apparently 20-12 with that record.
shit, if I counted my sparring rounds I'd be a bum, a can, a stepping stone.

Would this be the method you're thinking of? For me it's harder to setup since I lose the leg more often between the block and the catch compared to the method shown in the OP, but if I do get the leg caught I have more success getting the sweep.

More like this

Back