muay thai catch kick counter

You don't explain the side step while catching, and I think it's a very important detail (specially for beginners) to learn. I try to do an event bigger movement, to take away as much power as possible from the kick to my ribs...

You don't explain the side step while catching, and I think it's a very important detail (specially for beginners) to learn. I try to do an event bigger movement, to take away as much power as possible from the kick to my ribs...
This

I've seen toolbags (usually a grappler doing their first striking camp) purposely eat the kick to land the catch->dump; Because in sparring most of the time people don't go 100%, so the kick is lighter, and alot of times newer people don't know how to maintain speed with low power, and end up slow down the kick to -10km/h. So they don't feel anything and plow through with the dump. Come fight night, 8+ weeks doing doing that is now burned into them as muscle memory, and they're getting their ribs damaged, or worse broken; The funny one is the guys who kick quick and retract their leg back before it gets caught. Thats funny, eat the kick, compromise the ribs for nothing in those cases.

Not to mention its a bad trade overall: eat a full force body kick just to land a flashy move to the spectators and judges. The opponent, most of the time takes no damage from the dump, yes it sucks, but its not gonna do any real damage unless he/she really lands wrong and breaks something.

Last edited:
Side step or get in the habit of blocking with your arm and then quickly wrapping it up

its called advanced muay thai techniques, not beginner techniques. Stepping to the side is common knowledge.
This video is to show some attacks that you can do once you have caught the leg, not how to catch the leg.

Side step or get in the habit of blocking with your arm and then quickly wrapping it up
I actually use this one often, it works for me. I've never been too great with the side stepping and this came to me naturally

Last edited:
I actually use this one often, it works for me. I've never been to great with the side stepping and this came to me natrually

i think it's important to developed that block as a knee jerk reaction. I definitely prefer it

I use the arm block/wrap for high kicks, but i don't like it for mid kicks because the impact is still heavy on the forearm. For mid I will block it with my shin, or try to avoid it. Of course in a match it may happen, but i don't like to drill it. For me, it's the same problem. Heavy kick to the ribs, or heavy kick to the forearm, it's still damage that i take.
In general, i don't try to catch kicks, i think it's to risky. If the occasion is there i will, but i prefer to kick the grounded foot while he kicks if he is a slow kicker, or has a tell...

@shincheckin

Sorry man.

If I'm gonna throw a rear kick after catching his rear I like to pass his leg across his body to put him southpaw before I kick, instead of just pushing him back into stance. Makes it harder for him to balance and can give you a better angle for the kick.

Back