Muay thai bagwork and shadowboxing vid

Probably not the best bagwork I did, but I'll let you guys judge it, I tried to put more power in the hook so I tried to do like a shoulder roll hook kind of. And yes I was exhausted, I did 2 hard rounds before this.

Please give your input everyone (@shincheckin, @j123, @eternaldarkness, @Robocok, @Lucas Coradini I haven't heard anything from you and I would.like to hear your input, @Reyesnuthugr if you have any input please share) everyone else if you have any input please share.

not bad, unfortunately i really dont think i can help you much without actually being there in person. That being said, you crowd your punches, i really would ike to see alot more pivot and snap on them. the power of the punch is at the very end of it. do you have a coach or are you teaching yourself?

not bad, unfortunately i really dont think i can help you much without actually being there in person. That being said, you crowd your punches, i really would ike to see alot more pivot and snap on them. the power of the punch is at the very end of it. do you have a coach or are you teaching yourself?

I have kind of a coach he helps me out whenever he can, he was an amateur boxer in Newark and he has mma and muay thai experience.

I'm going to be working 2 jobs and I know of a gym in Clifton, nj that has classes in the morning but if you come earlier in the morning, like 6 or 7, then it's open mat.

One of the jobs I have they only call me when they need me, and the other is a gas station job that asked me if I wanted to work 5 days and I said yes so once i get enough money from those jobs then i will definitely go to that gym right now I'm using whatever resources i have.

I have kind of a coach, he helps me out whenever he can, we usually meet up at a park near my house. He is a Nigerian amateur boxer from Newark, and aparently he has muay thai and mma experience.

I'm going to be working 2 jobs, 1 job they only call me when they need me (they didn't really give me a schedule), and the other job asked me if I wanted to work 5 days a week so I said yes. Theirs a security company I still got to call to check the status of my application, they pay more then the other 2 jobs. So I think I might be drop one job and do the security job. And then I will go to a gym in Clifton nj that's run by a former swat team officer, and his gym the schedule and everything is really convenient, they start a class at 10am, but if you come at 6am or 7am, then it's open mat which works well for me.

Believe me I wouldn't be using sherdog if I could go to a gym where I can actually get some actual instruction.

Probably not the best bagwork I did, but I'll let you guys judge it, I tried to put more power in the hook so I tried to do like a shoulder roll hook kind of. And yes I was exhausted, I did 2 hard rounds before this.

Please give your input everyone (@shincheckin, @j123, @eternaldarkness, @Robocok, @Lucas Coradini I haven't heard anything from you and I would.like to hear your input, @Reyesnuthugr if you have any input please share) everyone else if you have any input please share.

i like what your doing. your punches look like they are a lot more solid. i like how sometimes you are going into a bit of a crouch and throwing the right coming off the ground, that followed up by a left hook is the money punch. keep your left hand up more as your stepping in with the right hand. also you are throwing good right hands when your relaxed and hitting off the back foot, but when you start trying harder your weight is coming up off the ground and your trying to lean in to gain power. re watch it yourself you will see what i'm talking about. when you are doing this you are no longer "sitting down" on your punches, just relax and punch as you weight is coming off the ground. something i find helps (some will disagree with this) is to punch ever so slightly upwards with the right, i find it easier to transfer more weight off the ground.

an example is at 14 seconds, that was an over reaching and leaning right, very little power. then at 19 seconds you throw another right coming off the ground, that's how you what to throw it. also the left hook is looking miles better than it was, your starting to shift your weight more effectively. keep it up, it shows dedication to train like you are without a proper team.

i like what your doing. your punches look like they are a lot more solid. i like how sometimes you are going into a bit of a crouch and throwing the right coming off the ground, that followed up by a left hook is the money punch. keep your left hand up more as your stepping in with the right hand. also you are throwing good right hands when your relaxed and hitting off the back foot, but when you start trying harder your weight is coming up off the ground and your trying to lean in to gain power. re watch it yourself you will see what i'm talking about. when you are doing this you are no longer "sitting down" on your punches, just relax and punch as you weight is coming off the ground. something i find helps (some will disagree with this) is to punch ever so slightly upwards with the right, i find it easier to transfer more weight off the ground.

Ok so keep my left hand up on the right hand strike and don't lean on the right hand, got it. Ok that's kind of what I do shadowboxing when I throw a right hand lean in slightly upwards, i don't know why i forget to do it when I'm hitting the bag.

an example is at 14 seconds, that was an over reaching and leaning right, very little power. then at 19 seconds you throw another right coming off the ground, that's how you what to throw it. also the left hook is looking miles better than it was, your starting to shift your weight more effectively. keep it up, it shows dedication to train like you are without a proper team.

Thanks man I appreciate it, when I was a kid I would always pick fights even in Newark and east orange, which are places you don't want to pick a fight with anyone down their if you don't know the areas that well, but luckily I was by the mosque and by my dads stores. I got so frustrated when I got a fight taken away due to being MIA, I really wanted it so bad, hopefully if i get to train at that gym in Clifton i will get to fight (and the reason I'm saying if is because i don't want to jinx shit and it doesn't happen) i just got to wait until my first check and do the delivery driving job and see how much tips i get, and try to save up a lot of money if everything goes as planned I should be in the gym within the next few weeks.

Ok so keep my left hand up on the right hand strike and don't lean on the right hand, got it. Ok that's kind of what I do shadowboxing when I throw a right hand lean in slightly upwards, i don't know why i forget to do it when I'm hitting the bag.
i always used to say "drop and pop" meaning drop your weight and punch coming up off the ground and through the target. you were starting to do this a bit more with the right hand and left hook. it is the key to powerful punching. also the elbow flare on the right is messing with the posture a bit. relax your shoulder a bit more and work on keeping your elbow in as you punch and that will fix half the problem. over leaning as you punch is nearly always a product of shrugging the shoulder too much, try turning a little more side on and relaxing that right shoulder more. sinister is the wizard when it comes to posture. i'm sure there are some good threads he has done about it.

i always used to say "drop and pop" meaning drop your weight and punch coming up off the ground and through the target. you were starting to do this a bit more with the right hand and left hook. it is the key to powerful punching. also the elbow flare on the right is messing with the posture a bit. relax your shoulder a bit more and work on keeping your elbow in as you punch and that will fix half the problem. over leaning as you punch is nearly always a product of shrugging the shoulder too much, try turning a little more side on and relaxing that right shoulder more. sinister is the wizard when it comes to posture. i'm sure there are some good threads he has done about it.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm kind of use to flaring out the elbow due to previous instructors and all of the instructors that I trained with never said anything about it. I'll work on keeping the elbows in more, and I guess I should do more of a snap with it too.

Thanks man I appreciate it, when I was a kid I would always pick fights even in Newark and east orange, which are places you don't want to pick a fight with anyone down their if you don't know the areas that well, but luckily I was by the mosque and by my dads stores. I got so frustrated when I got a fight taken away due to being MIA, I really wanted it so bad, hopefully if i get to train at that gym in Clifton i will get to fight (and the reason I'm saying if is because i don't want to jinx shit and it doesn't happen) i just got to wait until my first check and do the delivery driving job and see how much tips i get, and try to save up a lot of money if everything goes as planned I should be in the gym within the next few weeks.
don't get me wrong a proper coach will help a lot (training partners as well) but don't underestimate the power of repetition. as long as you keep a solid guard, the more you hit a bag the more refined your punches will become even without coaching. the human body is amazing at adapting to become more efficient. one of my personal favourites is to do a ridiculously long bag session just focusing on power, even when your exhausted just focus on staying heavy with the punches. you will be impressed what this does to your punches. (warning, do not do this too often as it can start causing a lot of bad habits defensively)

don't get me wrong a proper coach will help a lot (training partners as well) but don't underestimate the power of repetition. as long as you keep a solid guard, the more you hit a bag the more refined your punches will become even without coaching. the human body is amazing at adapting to become more efficient. one of my personal favourites is to do a ridiculously long bag session just focusing on power, even when your exhausted just focus on staying heavy with the punches. you will be impressed what this does to your punches. (warning, do not do this too often as it can start causing a lot of bad habits defensively)

So do like a few rounds of just going all out on the bag going 100%?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm kind of use to flaring out the elbow due to previous instructors and all of the instructors that I trained with never said anything about it. I'll work on keeping the elbows in more, and I guess I should do more of a snap with it too.
your elbows are pretty good compared to some i have seem. you just wing the elbow a bit when your punching. relaxing the shoulder will fix half of that. also don't worry about the snap that will develop naturally if you hit the bag properly. just stay relaxed and make sure you bring that hand straight back to guard. the snap people talk about is acceleration at point of impact, you only get this by staying relaxed and punching through the target. rotating your punches at the point of impact (turning your punches over) helps to keep a straight punch accelerating at the point of impact.

At the moment I'm awaiting to step on the scale for my fight tomorrow. Probably next week I'll be more relaxed and will watch your videos.

Believe me I wouldn't be using sherdog if I could go to a gym where I can actually get some actual instruction.

Watchu talkin about, bro? There's a lot of fighters here, and coaches and their advice always added up to my actual training.

about 20 should do the trick. once your exhausted your body starts shaving off the excess motion that isn't doing anything. the trick is to stay heavy and punch hard. also you not punching for volume just power shots and combos.

At the moment I'm awaiting to step on the scale for my fight tomorrow. Probably next week I'll be more relaxed and will watch your videos.

Watchu talkin about, bro? There's a lot of fighters here, and coaches and their advice always added up to my actual training.

Well it's not that sherdog is not helpful it's that the advice Is very limited. I'll still post videos just so you guys can see my progress when I'm in an actual fight gym though.

about 20 should do the trick. once your exhausted your body starts shaving off the excess motion that isn't doing anything. the trick is to stay heavy and punch hard. also you not punching for volume just power shots and combos.

Well that's going to be a bit of a challenge, I might get extremely exhausted after the 10th round but I'll try that.

like i said though, don't do this too often as it's something that would give some amateur trainers fits because your purely focusing on offence. i'm more of the puncher type so some of my advice may be conflicting with what more defensive style coaches will encourage.

Well that's going to be a bit of a challenge, I might get extremely exhausted after the 10th round but I'll try that.
that's the idea. it changes the way you do every thing. you have to really focus on breathing, staying relaxed and learning how to pace yourself. (when your exhausted it's the only time you allowed to stick and move, fake a few jabs and work on your guard and getting you wind back. then back into it.)

that's the idea. it changes the way you do every thing. you have to really focus on breathing, staying relaxed and learning how to pace yourself. (when your exhausted it's the only time you allowed to stick and move, fake a few jabs and work on your guard and getting you wind back. then back into it.)

I don't really know how to pace myself on the bag. Is it like just change my stance a bit? Bring my guard higher? Use more reflexes? What should I do?

Back