Muay thai bagwork and shadowboxing vid

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So today I decided to do some muay thai after about about a year of not training muay thai. I can already see how sloppy I am on muay thai right now I tried to combine the boxing I've been working on with my muay thai. I was also suppose to have a muay thai fight last year before I went MIA due to money problems, the gym was in NYC, I was doing uber deliveries at the time in new jersey, and I would turn it off and take the train to new York Penn station while leaving my car in Newark at a store that I can trust and where their are cameras and where I know everybody. And everytime i would come back to do more uber deliveries i would practice striking on a lampost over their. I was so excited to fight that I was hitting the lamppost outside my dads dominos.

Anyways here is the video of my shadowboxing:
I was trying to work on the basics, that would be kind of obvious.

And here is the bagwork vid:

And here is the bagwork vid, working on basics again, not really visualizing an opponent in front of me this time, time flew while I was doing this seriously, I enjoy muay thai but 5 mins has never gone this fast for me before.

Anyways bring on the criticism (@shincheckin you would be able to give some of the best advice, @j123 you as well, @eternaldarkness you would be able to give good advice also @Frode Falch you can give some good input too) if anyone else has any input please do and don't leave out any details on what I can do better, I know I looked really sloppy on this bagwork vid, it's because I haven't trained muay thai in a year I just got back into training myself a month ago with boxing though, and aparently since my mom had to pay for my car damage and I owe $100 to the court every month to pay off a fine I got for going 100 mph on the highway (I'm one lucky sob for the judge not pulling my license) I will not be able to go to a fight gym this month, maybe if I get 2 jobs I can squeeze training at a fight gym in their but I'm not going to give up.

And yes I know i look sloppy on the bag, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, constructive criticism would be great, any sort of feedback would be great. I tagged the people that I know of that can give really good inputs, but anyone else can give good input too.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I know a gym where if you come to the gym about 6am or 7am you can drill, do padwork, and spar. It's a gym in Clifton, nj. But I'm going to have to wait and get a second job first.

Last edited:
So today I decided to do some muay thai after about about a year of not training muay thai. I can already see how sloppy I am on muay thai right now I tried to combine the boxing I've been working on with my muay thai. I was also suppose to have a muay thai fight last year before I went MIA due to money problems, the gym was in NYC, I was doing uber deliveries at the time in new jersey, and I would turn it off and take the train to new York Penn station while leaving my car in Newark at a store that I can trust and where their are cameras and where I know everybody. And everytime i would come back to do more uber deliveries i would practice striking on a lampost over their. I was so excited to fight that I was hitting the lamppost outside my dads dominos.

Anyways here is the video of my shadowboxing:
I was trying to work on the basics, that would be kind of obvious.

And here is the bagwork vid:

And here is the bagwork vid, working on basics again, not really visualizing an opponent in front of me this time, time flew while I was doing this seriously, I enjoy muay thai but 5 mins has never gone this fast for me before.

Anyways bring on the criticism (@shincheckin you would be able to give some of the best advice, @j123 you as well, @eternaldarkness you would be able to give good advice also @Frode Falch you can give some good input too) if anyone else has any input please do and don't leave out any details on what I can do better, I know I looked really sloppy on this bagwork vid, it's because I haven't trained muay thai in a year I just got back into training myself a month ago with boxing though, and aparently since my mom had to pay for my car damage and I owe $100 to the court every month to pay off a fine I got for going 100 mph on the highway (I'm one lucky sob for the judge not pulling my license) I will not be able to go to a fight gym this month, maybe if I get 2 jobs I can squeeze training at a fight gym in their but I'm not going to give up.

And yes I know i look sloppy on the bag, so any advice would be greatly appreciated, constructive criticism would be great, any sort of feedback would be great. I tagged the people that I know of that can give really good inputs, but anyone else can give good input too.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I know a gym where if you come to the gym about 6am or 7am you can drill, do padwork, and spar. It's a gym in Clifton, nj. But I'm going to have to wait and get a second job first.

You No power...........this is what the 4'10" Thai bar girl you just paid for would say...........

Practice near full speed on the bag. You can go slower in shadow boxing if you want but go fast with good power on the bag

Here's another muay thai bagwork, again just practicing the basics, and I'm really trying to go to another fight gym but it's hard right now, I currently miraculously have a deliver job at a deli, and I also have 3 potential jobs, i have an interview at ihop(which I'm not sure i really want because i hate customer service), I have to call another security company to see if they found an opening for me because that's what one person at that company said to do, and I have a potential job at a gas station which might be a little better but I have no idea what it's going to be like.

So I'm really trying other shit is still hitting me hard but I've had my share of good luck, so that's good. But this isn't about that this is about the muay thai bagwork video so if anyone can give good advice please give, it kind of seems like muscle memory is coming back to me for the muay thai too.

And yes I know I have to stretch for some reason I feel weird stretching in shoes, but I will be sure to do that next time which will be on Monday. I might stretch tomorrow too in the day and at night.

Here's another muay thai bagwork, again just practicing the basics, and I'm really trying to go to another fight gym but it's hard right now, I currently miraculously have a deliver job at a deli, and I also have 3 potential jobs, i have an interview at ihop(which I'm not sure i really want because i hate customer service), I have to call another security company to see if they found an opening for me because that's what one person at that company said to do, and I have a potential job at a gas station which might be a little better but I have no idea what it's going to be like.

So I'm really trying other shit is still hitting me hard but I've had my share of good luck, so that's good. But this isn't about that this is about the muay thai bagwork video so if anyone can give good advice please give, it kind of seems like muscle memory is coming back to me for the muay thai too.

And yes I know I have to stretch for some reason I feel weird stretching in shoes, but I will be sure to do that next time which will be on Monday. I might stretch tomorrow too in the day and at night.

Your kicks (body), are retracting back slow, retract it back ASAP and don't "over-retract" where you end up tight-roped. If you're returning slow, its going to happen in practice. When you kick, keep your opposite arm up, not just for defense, but as a counterweight so you can drive the kick through. Right now its down and its affecting the balance of it a bit. Eg. 1:32, kicking you should have the weight forward to shoot it out, but you're leaning too far back, your head and arms are pulling your entire bodyweight back so you're losing balance and have no choice but to brace while retracting. The switch kick in the combo you did after, you're in punching range, hands are dropped, and the kick had little juice behind it. You'll get hit hard if you do this.

When you throw your cross, your rear foot is raised too high where you loose power. You start with it at a 45 deg angle which is fine, but when you throw just pivot it straight like you're stepping out a cigarette, no raising it like you're doing calf raises. Also, throw it more snap like, your cross has too much push and you're leaving it out to admire, I get it that you're working on stuff and seeing if its viable, but think everytime you do that, bad news is going to come your way.

Your knees: you're too upright, and your hands are dropping down like you're doing a DBZ power up, at that range, you're going to get blasted by a cross and its not going to be good. So shoot your knee out, but lean back and use your hit to shoot it out. You're also kinda jumping into it loosing out on power. Make it one motion instead of 2

Make it a habit after you end every combo or whatever, that you either move out ASAP or jab out, right now it looks like you're admiring your work, when really your opponent or sparring partner after taking the shots (worse if they end up blocking your good stuff) WILL retaliate immediately, they're not going to sit around and think "damn, that was nice, let me post this on IG instead of capitalizing"

The good thing is you're throwing more combinations that end with a kick opposed to just hands only or kick only from what you used to do before.

Your kicks (body), are retracting back slow, retract it back ASAP and don't "over-retract" where you end up tight-roped. If you're returning slow, its going to happen in practice. When you kick, keep your opposite arm up, not just for defense, but as a counterweight so you can drive the kick through. Right now its down and its affecting the balance of it a bit. Eg. 1:32, kicking you should have the weight forward to shoot it out, but you're leaning too far back, your head and arms are pulling your entire bodyweight back so you're losing balance and have no choice but to brace while retracting. The switch kick in the combo you did after, you're in punching range, hands are dropped, and the kick had little juice behind it. You'll get hit hard if you do this.

When you throw your cross, your rear foot is raised too high where you loose power. You start with it at a 45 deg angle which is fine, but when you throw just pivot it straight like you're stepping out a cigarette, no raising it like you're doing calf raises. Also, throw it more snap like, your cross has too much push and you're leaving it out to admire, I get it that you're working on stuff and seeing if its viable, but think everytime you do that, bad news is going to come your way.

Your knees: you're too upright, and your hands are dropping down like you're doing a DBZ power up, at that range, you're going to get blasted by a cross and its not going to be good. So shoot your knee out, but lean back and use your hit to shoot it out. You're also kinda jumping into it loosing out on power. Make it one motion instead of 2

Make it a habit after you end every combo or whatever, that you either move out ASAP or jab out, right now it looks like you're admiring your work, when really your opponent or sparring partner after taking the shots (worse if they end up blocking your good stuff) WILL retaliate immediately, they're not going to sit around and think "damn, that was nice, let me post this on IG instead of capitalizing"

The good thing is you're throwing more combinations that end with a kick opposed to just hands only or kick only from what you used to do before.

Alright thanks for the in depth feedback I will work on it, I kind of thought I was bringing my hands back but I guess not. And that jab out of the way, do you mean just throw like multiple jabs while moving back?

The knee I have to improve my balance on especially with shoes on, so I got to work on that too.

Thank you for the feedback i will work on it.

I think your jab sucks. It's so slow and lazy. You hold your arm out there and barely extend it to caresse the bag. No snap, no speed, can't tell if it's supposed to be a punch or a tickle.

Throw it like you mean it. Snap that jab out and back, then pivot on the ball of your foot when you throw your straight next using you body and not your arm. Whap! Whap! Pow

Also, you did no foot work. Move around in both directions. Change distance from the bag, practice some angles. You're glued to that spot. There's no sense of urgency moving towards and away from the bag.

Sorry if I'm a jerk about it but just being honest. You need to find a boxing or muay thai gym that's well reviewed and produces good fighters. Stop making excuses, get a coach, figure out how to make it happen.

I think your jab sucks. It's so slow and lazy. You hold your arm out there and barely extend it to caresse the bag. No snap, no speed, can't tell if it's supposed to be a punch or a tickle.

Throw it like you mean it. Snap that jab out and back, then pivot on the ball of your foot when you throw your straight next using you body and not your arm. Whap! Whap! Pow

Also, you did no foot work. Move around in both directions. Change distance from the bag, practice some angles. You're glued to that spot. There's no sense of urgency moving towards and away from the bag.

Sorry if I'm a jerk about it but just being honest. You need to find a boxing or muay thai gym that's well reviewed and produces good fighters. Stop making excuses, get a coach, figure out how to make it happen.

Yeah I know some bad luck happened but I found a gym in Clifton nj that's really good. Thank you for the feedback.

Damn I must really have some bad habits now when training muay thai.

Keep it up and just do a ton more bagwork and shadow boxing. I suggest watching YouTube videos of pros you like and trying to imitate them on the bag

Okay well I'm probably going to get a lot of criticism for this but here is the 3rd bagwork video:

Yesterday I couldn't film any bagwork because I came to the gym late, and they didn't let me hit the bag for long because their was a yoga class in the gym.

1 question Should I throw more punches then kicks? Because I feel like I'm not at my full potential if I just try to throw a kick after every punch combination.

Definitely better.

Throw kicks when you think it would be smart to. At the end is usually good if they're backing away or all covered up but if not you want to angle out when you kick so they don't possibly counter you while you're kicking.

Definitely better.

Throw kicks when you think it would be smart to. At the end is usually good if they're backing away or all covered up but if not you want to angle out when you kick so they don't possibly counter you while you're kicking.

Alright thanks for the advice.

Alright thanks for the advice.

Also I should have been more specific-- every last strike in a combo should angle out when retreating whether punches or kicks. Not everyone does this (very few do when on the bag) but it's a smart idea to get it to become habit so when a fight does happen (professional or unwanted altercation) you have it down- it will help a lot to outclass the other guy and keep from getting starched

Also I should have been more specific-- every last strike in a combo should angle out when retreating whether punches or kicks. Not everyone does this (very few do when on the bag) but it's a smart idea to get it to become habit so when a fight does happen (professional or unwanted altercation) you have it down- it will help a lot to outclass the other guy and keep from getting starched

That is true, their was one instructor I trained with in mountainside nj he is a cop and a muay thai instructor, he was really good too. So he would have me move out after every combination. It was really useful especially when you know how to attack while moving backwards.

Everybody who has an input please jump in, don't leave out any details on what I can do better, I am trying to get another job since the job I had at a deli just basically fired me I called them, they said they would call me back, then i call today and they didn't pick up.

But I'm trying to get another job so I can go to that gym in Clifton, shit is hard, especially when you don't feel like the jobs your working suit you, but I'll find one job that suits me one day.

So anyways anyone who has an input feel free to jump in, and don't leave out the details.

Okay well I'm probably going to get a lot of criticism for this but here is the 3rd bagwork video:

Yesterday I couldn't film any bagwork because I came to the gym late, and they didn't let me hit the bag for long because their was a yoga class in the gym.

1 question Should I throw more punches then kicks? Because I feel like I'm not at my full potential if I just try to throw a kick after every punch combination.

This is better. Still need a coach though.

Back