Muay Thai ankle supports ?

I find that taping gives more firm support for me rusty ankle joints....

Taping the ankle wrap gives me a very tight secure feeling...

Yeah, and telegraphing your weak ankle is the best idea since sliced bread...

There's a reason why fighters wear 2 anklets, so their opponent has to guess which leg to kick the shit out of..

No that is because some people kick from both legs.

The top reasons:
5) prevent shinguard sliding
4) keep the ankle joint warm
3) soak up sweat
2) prevent your skin from cracking if you are prone to dry skin
1) you can tape your ankle and put the thai support over them to keep the "real" tape support from sliding off.

If a guy's wearing one during training, he has an injury.

If he's wearing two, he's a noob.

I'll have to tell my Muay Thai coach he's a noob next time I see him. It doesn't matter that he's won a championship title at Lumpini boxing stadium, and that he has over 370 pro fights, the dude wears two ankle braces! He's got to be a noob! The internet just told me so.:icon_lol:

Another plus that I've found is that if you sustain damage to your instep, the ankle support gives compression to help keep it stable, stop it swelling as bad, and add a bit of stability to it (injured joints are often less stable than normal).

Personally, I wear them because I've had ankle problems in the past, and like the extra little bit of support that they give.

If a guy's wearing one during training, he has an injury.

If he's wearing two, he's a noob.
Why? Some people have more than 1 weak ankle, or have more than 1 injury. What an ignorant comment to make.

Anyway, it depends on what you mean by ankle supports? There's a few available. My ankles are weak, have been since I was a kid, the result of mutiple major sprains. So I tend to wear wraps:
http://www.support4physio.co.uk/lp-ankle-wrap.php
Covered by the normal neoprene supports:
http://cranesproduction.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71

Then, if I still get an injury (last one I didn't reset the kick fast enough while my sparring partner returned low, hit me just above the ankle while on one foot) I have one of these:
http://reviews.protherapysupplies.c.../18759-Mueller-Hg80-Ankle-Brace-w-Straps.html

Helps prevent injuries inasmuch as you can when training/sparring, also helps me get back on my feet and into training quicker when I do get injured.

Why? Some people have more than 1 weak ankle, or have more than 1 injury. What an ignorant comment to make.

Anyway, it depends on what you mean by ankle supports? There's a few available. My ankles are weak, have been since I was a kid, the result of mutiple major sprains. So I tend to wear wraps:
http://www.support4physio.co.uk/lp-ankle-wrap.php
Covered by the normal neoprene supports:
http://cranesproduction.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71

Then, if I still get an injury (last one I didn't reset the kick fast enough while my sparring partner returned low, hit me just above the ankle while on one foot) I have one of these:
http://reviews.protherapysupplies.c.../18759-Mueller-Hg80-Ankle-Brace-w-Straps.html

Helps prevent injuries inasmuch as you can when training/sparring, also helps me get back on my feet and into training quicker when I do get injured.

Between a few fractures and multiple sprains ankles have turned to shit. Never thought about the first brace you posted, might go pick a pair up to give it a shot and wear the slip ons over. Heavy duty braces from bball are to much to wear without shoes, atleast for me

why do some guys wear the ankle guard over their shin?

The top reasons:
5) prevent shinguard sliding
4) keep the ankle joint warm
3) soak up sweat
2) prevent your skin from cracking if you are prone to dry skin
1) you can tape your ankle and put the thai support over them to keep the "real" tape support from sliding off.

Good reasons, my skin tend to create queloids, lucky not in the legs but keeping warm shins is nice, what I find stupid is to buy an expensive one with the brand on it-

I use them when I wear ahi guards because my shin guard strap sort of cuts me.

Other than that, i never use them.

I'll have to tell my Muay Thai coach he's a noob next time I see him. It doesn't matter that he's won a championship title at Lumpini boxing stadium, and that he has over 370 pro fights, the dude wears two ankle braces! He's got to be a noob! The internet just told me so.:icon_lol:
LOL.. yeah, and here is the noobest of the noobest:
10438273_10155055458370298_6696938976543915014_n.jpg

they're for looks. unless you're on some sweaty ring floor, they don't really help w friction.

when you kick, its pivoting on your toes/ball of foot anyway (ie not on the ankle wraps).

with that said, I always wear one on my left foot, so they see a blur of color before they get kicked in the face! :D

a lot of ppl care about looks in gym, there's no doubt about it or nothing wrong with it really. I'm sure we can have a funny thread about gym looks (some guy used to tie a red knot around his forehead like ryu), but then we'd be ratting on our own gymmates.

There's 2 main reasons why I wear ankle supports.

1 - To protect against blisters around the back of my ankle when I wear shin pads for sparring.

2 - To soak up sweat underneath my feet, so I don't slip on my arse while throwing a kick!

I just got a a new pair of shin guards that have a discomfort on my ankle. They like scrape a little. I'm gonna try these

LOL.. yeah, and here is the noobest of the noobest:
10438273_10155055458370298_6696938976543915014_n.jpg

Obviously, they're optional...or maybe Saenchai forgot some of his gear at home this fight. You won't automatically die in an MT fight if you don't wear ankle wraps...hell, you may even land a cartwheel kick or something:

maxresdefault.jpg

Holy crap! Thais actually fighting without ankle wraps! Blasphemy!!!1!!one!

Panpayak-vs-Sam-A-0611-kick-caught-catch-kick-counter-kick.gif

Back