Muay Thai ankle supports ?

expandingmaan

White Belt
Reaction score
hi there, i notice alot of muay thai fighters wear ankle supports...
do they actually help ?
if you guys could suggest some useful ones ?

thanks ! much appreciated

They do help to support the ankle especially if you have bad ankles. They also can help to provide some traction and friction on the mat especially if you know that the mat is slick or if you're a later fight and the mats are dirty and wet. Plus, they look cool.

Really anything will work. Fairtex, Twins, even ones in academy would do okay.

IMO the main reason is people wear them to look cool/authentic. I wear only one on my left ankle from an old injury as it helps keep it warm after rubbing on some tiger balm then throwing the ankle support over it.

Becasue of an old injury, I just use one. I find it helps keep my ankle warm, and also gives it some support.
I had fairtex ones for the longest time, but last time I bought a cheap one from Walmart, which was 1/3 of the price and it works just the same.

Supports the ankle, keeps it warm, takes the sting out of kicks if you land with your foot by accident and reduces sweat. I sweat like a beast and our floors don't have a heap of grip on them so its helpful in that regard as well.

Anklets don't do shit all except keep your ankle joints warm. The amount of support they provide compared to the amount of force generated in a Thai kick is irrelevant. But definitely by all means wear them to keep your ankle joints warm.

Anklets don't do shit all except keep your ankle joints warm. The amount of support they provide compared to the amount of force generated in a Thai kick is irrelevant. But definitely by all means wear them to keep your ankle joints warm.

I'm pretty sure people don't mean support while kicking. It's supports while moving. Some people have bad ankles and have a tendency to roll them while moving around or drag them especially when tired. These help to provide support while moving, not while kicking.

And yes, they do keep your ankles and the muscles in there warm. Good if you have an injury or just want to wear them.

I had broke my ankle and have a metal plate on my fibula. The mobility of my ankle isn't quite what it was before the injury, and these do help to support as well as keep the joint warm and loose. I don't agree that all are the same though. Top King makes the nicest ones IMO, quality and appearance.

If a guy's wearing one during training, he has an injury.

If he's wearing two, he's a noob.

I wouldnt say wearing 2 makes you a noob we have thai fighters at the camp who wear 2 all the time during training and some of the trainers wear 2

they do offer a good amount of support when training

and the walmart brand supports are about the same as the king,twins,fbt,nationman ones just cheaper

It keeps your ankle joint compact. This helps especially when doing multiple roundhouse reps on a bag.

Sometimes, when I kick a bag with the upper part of my shin, my foot pops a little on the ankle. This started happening less when I began wearing ankle support.

I dont wear them. If they work for you go ahead i guess. There are people in my gym who wear them for sure..but we never talked about it

I use them for friction on the floor, also for the under of my foot loses skin all the fucking time when im pivoting, it also helps when you kick i find, if you misplace the kick it wont hurt as much.
Any type are fine, dont pay too much though..

I typically wear one on each ankle whenever I'm training/sparring -- my right ankle never healed properly from a fracture and I've sprained my left ankle multiple times. They help support my ankles while moving around and keep them warm as other people have said...not a fashion thing at all for me at least

I always preferred training standup wearing ankle supports.

That being said, paying brand prices for them is nuts.

The dollar store sells pairs for . . . you guessed it . . . 1$.

I bought a pair from Gorilla Fight Gear many years ago and they were 10$. They lasted a few years of Muay Thai and Sanshou training without problem. You don't need to spend big bucks on ankle guards.

Are you shitting me,
Montreal has a dire thai ankle support shortage.

Guess I need to order some.

Ive heard they keep your foot from flying off when you kick too hard.

I have to admit I have never worn ankle supports, I always wanted to get some back in the day but never got round to it...if I got some now people would think id turned sissy.

Badr Hari, Reem, anyone wear them.

If you like to trow from the bottum part of the shin it prvent your skin from being shredded on a shin if you are parryed.

Also good support for ankle wich is nice when you sprainned your ankle a week ago.

Yeah, and telegraphing your weak ankle is the best idea since sliced bread...

There's a reason why fighters wear 2 anklets, so their opponent has to guess which leg to kick the shit out of..

Back