MPR drops Garrison Keillor after four decades due to sexual misconduct allegation

can we limit this to people that most of us have conceivably heard of?
Apparently you've never been to Lake Wobegon

No. "Conspiracy" entails furtiveness. This isn't secret. This is an open book. It's literally the agenda of the HuffPo editorial staff.

huffpoeditors.jpg
Notice there isn't a black person in that pic?

Hey remember how cool you all were about the millions of extremely pissed off "nasty" women that marched the day after Trump was sworn in?

I was even asking; "Wtf are they truly marching for? Must be just pure hatred of the right."

Wrong. Pure hatred of men. Welcome to a new era men.

Also in no way am i not condoning sexual harrassment or that type of behaviour but I also believe that a lot of this shit is planned out, meticulous and with an agenda that has the words 'seek and destroy' in it.

Hey remember how cool you all were about the millions of extremely pissed off "nasty" women that marched the day after Trump was sworn in?

I was even asking; "Wtf are they truly marching for? Must be just pure hatred of the right."

Wrong. Pure hatred of men. Welcome to a new era men.

Also in no way am i not condoning sexual harrassment or that type of behaviour but I also believe that a lot of this shit is planned out, meticulous and with an agenda that has the words 'seek and destroy' in it.
Of course I don't remember that: because it never happened. That march was organized by Sarsour, IIRC, and I have been a firm critic of hers. This is where you and your ilk confuse me with the liberals. Beyond that, I'm still "cool" with it. I believe in free speech and the right to protest. Do you, or do you only feign that belief when you're playing the helpless victim due to violent counter-protesters at Berkeley, or in places like Charlottesville?

Otherwise, what a remarkably feeble attempt to claim foresight.

In fact, one might argue that if we hadn't inflamed the #resist movement (which is the majority of our country) by electing a rhetorically divisive doofus like Donald Trump this element wouldn't have so easily accrued the mainstream political inertia to effect its will with so little resistance...if you want to delve into silly speculation.

Of course I don't remember that: because it never happened. That march was organized by Sarsour, IIRC, and I have been a firm critic of hers. This is where you and your ilk confuse me with the liberals. Beyond that, I'm still "cool" with it. I believe in free speech and the right to protest. Do you, or do you only feign that belief when you're playing the helpless victim due to violent counter-protesters at Berkeley, or in places like Charlottesville?

Otherwise, what a remarkably feeble attempt to claim foresight.

In fact, one might argue that if we hadn't inflamed the #resist movement (which is the majority of our country) by electing a rhetorically divisive doofus like Donald Trump this element wouldn't have so easily accrued the mainstream political inertia to effect its will with so little resistance...if you want to delve into silly speculation.
What the hell does it matter that Sarsour organized it? It happened. Was it illegal? No. Am I against it's free speech elements? No. Did I realize the fire burning within a lot of women that has now erupted onto men in a calculated wau?

So Hillary wasn't divisive? Would we have had a similar backlash from the other side had Hillary been elected? I also think you misconstrued some of my post but it's not uncommon for you when you see my name with all that red.

Funny that you demand proof only from the accused.

Where did I demand proof from this guy? Please don't say I'm saying things I didn't say.

I said if he has an email exchange that exonerated him then that would be good for him. And important exchanges should be retained. Anyone who works in an office knows that. You think there's a problem with that?

Last edited:
Where did I demand proof from this guy? Please don't say I'm saying things I didn't say.

I said I'd he has an email exchange that exonerated him then that would be good for him. And important exchanges should be retained. Anyone who works in an office knows that. You think there's a problem with that?

C.Y.A

Cover Your Ass

C.Y.A

Cover Your Ass

#1 rule in any type of environment where you work closely with others.

Along with STFU. Be as bland and vanilla as possible, never remotely saying or doing anything that could be taken as controversial.

That show has always been extremely boring to me; but my dad loves it. I think you just have to be a certain age to get it.

What the hell does it matter that Sarsour organized it? It happened. Was it illegal? No. Am I against it's free speech elements? No. Did I realize the fire burning within a lot of women that has now erupted onto men in a calculated wau?
So you were "cool" with it, too.

Concession accepted.

I said if he has an email exchange that exonerated him then that would be good for him. And important exchanges should be retained. Anyone who works in an office knows that. You think there's a problem with that?
I think there's a problem with you first wanting to see evidence of the email when there's no evidence he engaged in "misconduct" beyond a belated accusation in a moment of mass hysteria.

I think there's a problem with you first wanting to see evidence of the email when there's no evidence he engaged in "misconduct" beyond a belated accusation in a moment of mass hysteria.

What are you talking about Mick? I think you are projecting your frustration on to me.

>Lady says he did something inappropriate
> Guy says it was an accident, and he apologized via email, and his apology was accepted via email.
> I say "It'll help his case if he has those emails." End of comment.
> You accuse me of "demanding" proof of something that I'm not.

I'm not sure how you go from "it'll be helpful to his situation if he retained those records" to "you demand proof only from the accused". I think you are having a lapse in comprehension.

This guy is the one who said he emailed the person, and that would be evidence of his innocence of malicious wrong doing. Normally having the evidence you claim to have is helpful, and a short quip on an internet message board acknowledging the helpfulness of this evidence this person claims ot have possessed is not "demanding proof". Basically, you're overreacting towards my post.

Last edited:
No. "Conspiracy" entails furtiveness. This isn't secret. This is an open book. It's literally the agenda of the HuffPo editorial staff.

huffpoeditors.jpg

Bruh if I worked with those girls I'd straight up bust into the meeting disrobed and slicked down in baby oil and then stomach slide down the middle of the table.

Give me whatever I have coming. It would be worth it.

Fuck the court of public opinion. I don't care about any of these in-media accusations any more, at all, as a rule. If you've got a legitimate legal grievance bring it to the police or HR immediately and deal with it professionally - Not crying crocodile tears next to Gloria Alread onTMZ.

I'm still listening to Prairie Home Companion. I think the allegations are bullshit and this is all getting out of hand.

What are you talking about Mick? I think you are projecting your frustration on to me.

>Lady says he did something inappropriate
> Guy says it was an accident, and he apologized via email, and his apology was accepted via email.
> I say "It'll help his case if he has those emails." End of comment.
> You accuse me of demanding proof of something that I'm not.

I'm not sure how you go from "it'll be helpful to his situation if he retained those records" to "you demand proof only from the accused". I think you are having a lapse in comprehension.

This guy is the one who said he emailed the person, and that would be evidence of his innocence of malicious wrong doing. Normally having the evidence you claim to have is helpful, and a short quip on an internet message board acknowledging the helpfulness of this evidence this person claims ot have possessed is not "demanding proof". Basically, you're overreacting towards my post.
I made that observation so that hopefully everyone would maintain a healthier perspective when approaching these topics.

First, he is the one who mentioned that as the possible incident. We got nothing beyond that. Second, there is no timeline given. When did this happen? A month ago? Or 10 years ago? We were only told when the MPR was notified. If 10 years ago, and they continued to work together, and to be friends, without her ever raising the issue to anyone, then why is the bit of evidence you think would be most compelling an email exonerating him rather than some material evidence first substantiating her accusation? It's "Crime and Punishment", after all, not "Punishment and Crime".

Did any of you guys go read the statement that MPR made?
MPR said:
Here are the full statements from Minnesota Public Radio regarding the firing of Garrison Keillor:

“ST. PAUL, Minn. – Minnesota Public Radio (MPR) is terminating its contracts with Garrison Keillor and his private media companies after recently learning of allegations of his inappropriate behavior with an individual who worked with him.

“Last month, MPR was notified of the allegations which relate to Mr. Keillor’s conduct while he was responsible for the production of A Prairie Home Companion (APHC). MPR President Jon McTaggart immediately informed the MPR Board Chair, and a special Board committee was appointed to provide oversight and ongoing counsel. In addition, MPR retained an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation of the allegations. Based on what we currently know, there are no similar allegations involving other staff. The attorney leading the independent investigation has been conducting interviews and reviewing documents, and the investigation is still ongoing. We encourage anyone with additional information to call our confidential hotline 1-877-767-7781.

“MPR takes these allegations seriously and we are committed to maintaining a safe, respectful and supportive work environment for all employees and everyone associated with MPR. We want a workplace where anyone who experiences unwanted behavior feels comfortable in reporting concerns to MPR. Discrimination, harassment, retaliation or other inappropriate behaviors will not be tolerated.

“MPR will end its business relationships with Mr. Keillor’s media companies effective immediately. By terminating the contracts, MPR and American Public Media (APM) will:

“* end distribution and broadcast of The Writer’s Almanac and rebroadcasts of The Best of A Prairie Home Companion hosted by Garrison Keillor;

“* change the name of APM’s weekly music and variety program hosted by Chris Thile; and,

“* separate from the Pretty Good Goods online catalog and the PrairieHome.org website.

“MPR and APM will work closely with public radio stations to help make the programming transitions as seamless as possible. “Garrison Keillor has been an important part of the growth and success of MPR, and all of us in the MPR community are saddened by these circumstances,” said Jon McTaggart, President of MPR. “While we appreciate the contributions Garrison has made to MPR and to all of public radio, we believe this decision is the right thing to do and is necessary to continue to earn the trust of our audiences, employees and supporters of our public service.” “Over the last several weeks, the special Board Committee has worked closely with MPR President Jon McTaggart and legal counsel to review the facts as we know them and carefully consider the implications of the various options,” said David Murphy, Chair of the MPR Board of Trustees. “The Board Committee concluded that terminating the Keillor relationships was the appropriate decision and the Board and Jon are aligned in this action. Fortunately, MPR is one of the strongest public broadcasting organizations in the country. We are confident MPR will continue to innovate with programming and content that ensures MPR will remain one of the most valued sources of news, information and entertainment for decades to come.”
So the investigation is still ongoing, we have absolutely nothing to present to you-- the public-- despite this concerning one of the country's most storied and beloved public radio hosts (in its history), but don't worry, we don't have to conclude the investigation, we'll fire him in the middle of it. We have enough. Don't worry about it. Trust us.
The release said MPR also would change the name of future broadcasts of “A Prairie Home Companion,” now hosted by Chris Thile.

“I put my hand on a woman’s bare back,” Keillor wrote Wednesday in an email to The Minneapolis Star Tribune. “I meant to pat her back after she told me about her unhappiness and her shirt was open and my hand went up it about six inches. She recoiled. I apologized. I sent her an email of apology later and she replied that she had forgiven me and not to think about it. We were friends. We continued to be friendly right up until her lawyer called.”

He joked that being fired was “a real distinction” in a broadcasting career, but wished that he’d been dismissed for something more “heroic.”

“Anyone who ever was around my show can tell you that I was the least physically affectionate person in the building,” Keillor added in the email. “Actors hug, musicians hug, people were embracing every Saturday night left and right, and I stood off in the corner like a stone statue. If I had a dollar for every woman who asked to take a selfie with me and who slipped an arm around me and let it drift down below the beltline, I’d have at least a hundred dollars. So this is poetic irony of a high order. But I’m just fine. I had a good long run and am grateful for it and for everything else.”

The broadcaster also sent a follow-up statement to The Associated Press.

“It’s some sort of poetic irony to be knocked off the air by a story, having told so many of them myself, but I’m 75 and don’t have any interest in arguing about this. And I cannot in conscience bring danger to a great organization I’ve worked hard for since 1969,” Keillor wrote.

Keillor is currently still scheduled to perform Thursday at the Warner Theatre in Torrington, Conn., and Saturday at the State Theatre in Ithaca, N.Y.

On Tuesday, Keillor penned an opinion column for The Washington Post defending Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., who faces some calls to resign after accusation of inappropriate conduct, including an alleged incident during a 2006 USO tour before his election.

“Eleven years later, a talk show host in LA, she goes public, and there is talk of resignation, “ Keillor wrote. “This is pure absurdity, and the atrocity it leads to is a code of public deadliness. No kidding.”

Christopher Ingraham, a Washington Post reporter, noted on Twitter that Keillor almost certainly wrote the opinion column knowing that he was under investigation or was about to be fired.
Fascinating speculation. I guess this is one more bit of liberal insight I'm supposed to accept without an ounce of evidence. I suppose the opposing speculation that he upset the liberal bosses with his Op-Ed, and got canned for it, because what could possibly be better for feminist optics, will not be entertained or mentioned, as it's clearly far, far, far, far, far less credible than the other entirely unsubstantiated speculation.

It just goes to show... if you accidentally touch a bare back, you may as well go all the way and get your money's worth!

So you were "cool" with it, too.

Concession accepted.

Concession? Uhhh what? Is this you wanting out?

huffpoeditors.jpg

Bunch of racists here tbh. Bunch of white people and maybe an Asian in the back? Should have a sign that says “blacks need not apply”

Bruh if I worked with those girls I'd straight up bust into the meeting disrobed and slicked down in baby oil and then stomach slide down the middle of the table.

Give me whatever I have coming. It would be worth it.

No no no. You have to do the slide on your back, with a full mast salute

Back