Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is amazing. I am so envious. Besides the fact that doing this would improve your BJJ enormously, I think it would be an incredible all around experience. Moving to a completely different country, immersing yourself in their culture, learning a new language, making friends half way around the world. What else can you ask for?

I'm new to BJJ but in a few years I would absolutely love to do this. What do you do about "real life" though? I have a great job now.. and I'm not so sure I could just up and leave for six months and expect to get it back. I guess you just gotta go for it and hope for the best!

I'll be following this thread for sure.

well I wish I could give you sound advice on how to keep your job but the truth is thats not something that I really had to deal with. I teach grappling full time so it is almost like a business trip for me. I had to get real with my life and decide what was going to mean more to me in 20 years. The ability to say that I bought my own home, started a family? or that I spent 6 months to a year in Brazil. The truth is I really want to compete at the highest levels of BJJ and submission grappling and this trip was a life experience for me. I can always start my family and buy a home after I return (if I return).

My suggestion to you would be to sit down and really decide what you want from life. Do you have a professional job that would really be that hard to replace when you come home? If BJJ is your passion in life like it is mine all the people that surround you will probably step up and help you make it happen. Thats what happend in my case anyway.

As far as the plane ticket goes that was indeed the most expensive part of the trip. But keep in mind that you have to get a passport and a visa which is a couple hundred more dollars of unexpected costs if you didnt plan for it. I shopped my ticket and ended up getting it for around 700 dollars (plus tax it came out to $863). As far as monthly costs, it is farily cheap to survive here. Meaning that after you pay for rent the food is really really cheap.

The big deciding factor on wether your trip is going to suck or not is the exchange rate. The rate is currently falling (which sucks ass and has led me to trying to withdrawl as much money as I can) but it is still pretty good. Last I checked it was 2.07 to 1 with a really good meal costing about 10 local dollars.

This thread has convinced me to head down to Brazil after I'm done here in Thailand. Details of the trip are still up in the air, if anyone else is planning a trip maybe pm me, we can roll out together, Sherdog style. Haha.

Thanks for the props but I cannot take credit for that (if it is the one I am tinking of). Also, that $550 a month is with a room-mate in a one bedroom atp.
if you are refering to me its with a roommate in a 2 bedroom with access to a private rooftop terrace w/ pool, pool table, bbq. (pay R$2400 total)

the landlord is american so thats cool.

he also has 2 other studios for R$1800/mo (i think thats really expensive)

if you are refering to me its with a roommate in a 2 bedroom with access to a private rooftop terrace w/ pool, pool table, bbq. (pay R$2400 total)

the landlord is american so thats cool.

he also has 2 other studios for R$1800/mo (i think thats really expensive)

Yes, I was talking about you, not bad. Are you close to the side of the beach that leads to Ipanima with the giant sewage outlet?

Hello Everyone,

I know it has been awhile since I updated and I am truely sorry for that. I have plenty of excuses but the main one is that my computer is still in the shop. It was very difficult for me to hand my computer off to someone that I dont know but I should have it back by Tuesday.

Training continues to prove difficult. Things are getting slightly easier as I adjust to the climate, the tempo of the rolling and putting the gi back on but I'm not going to be winning any medals at the academy anytime soon. It still amazes me how many blackbelts there are at the academy. I have been here over two weeks now and daily I meet new blackbelts that I have never seen. Without exagerating I would say there are at least 50 different blackbelts that have come through Gordo's gym and that would be a conservative number. It is really interesting to see the different games that each playes, although mildly frustrating that I dont get to roll against the same guys becuase then I dont get to break down their game and try to do better.

I have also been working a LOT on my Portuguese and I am glad to say it is improving by leaps and bounds. The girl that I approached my first week here is actually a Portuguese teacher and I cant express how lucky I am to have her helping. We spend a few hours each day practicing and last night we even made some flash cards. I still sound like a cave man when ordering anything and when people dont understand me I resort to one of two things 1. saying it again louder and pointing furiously or 2. immediatly saying "Nao Falo Portugese" (I dont speak Portuguese). But as I said it is improving quickly and I would think that after 3 months I should be fluent enough that I can ask for directions when lost, order food and get the general gist of just about any conversation. If you ever plan on coming to visit all I can suggest is that you try and learn some of the language. I find through personal experience that the locals respect you MUCH more and are waaaaay more willing to give you personal attention (in BJJ technique and resturantes) if you show that you are willing to try to learn the language. Honestly if you put forth an effort you can do well speaking here (and I'm a total language idiot...if you dont believe me ask my spanish teacher from college).

I have been trying to experince many different parts of the culture here and I thought one of the best ways to do that would be to learn how to learn the mass transit system. First of all it will open access to a lot of new areas and it will give me an oppertunity to practice my portuguese with people while traveling...it has been an experience.

My first real experience with mass transit was last weekend when we went to the Brasiliros. The competetion is on the other side of the mountain and we took the bus...I have to say I am lucky to be alive. Apparently the busses here have two speeds; stop and go. When manuvering the mountain the busses dont slow down and they take the curves at top speeds. I spent basically the whole trip gripping the seat in front of me while having not so private conversations with God. I have been to Iraq and experienced combat....I would put this transportation experience on par with being shot at as far as life threating is concerned...it was damn scary. At one point during the trip we rounded a corner and a man was crossing the street. He froze lik ea deer in the head lights. I would say that we swerved into the oncoming traffics lane but honestly we were already in it (you tend to use both lanes when you dont slow down in a fucking bus taking 90 degree turns). People on the bus started to scream and I jumped out of my seat pointing like an idiot. I started screaming "OHH MY GOD" and we just barely missed that guy...there might have been a 8 inches...maybe a foot if that guy was lucky between being road kill and continuing on his day. The real question that went through my mind was "would we have stopped" had we flattend him.

Needless to say I took the bus back to the competition the next day....what can I say it was mildly fun and with an absense of amusement parks here it makes for good conversation. People still give me a hard time about jumping out of my seat.

On wednesday we went to get my computer fixed. Dennis (from Connectionrio.com) took me on the subway. Again I thought this would be a new experience so it didnt really concern me. Let me start by pointing out the fact that I cant recall a time that I have ever been on a subway...not a real mass transit one. But I felt I was prepared because I had seen them on TV and on the movies a bunch. Well folks....taking your first stroll on a subway during rush hour in Rio is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

As we boarded the subway there were a fair number of people. Dennis told me that it would get more crowded before it was time for us to get off but what he REALLY meant was "you are going to feel sexually violated before this is over" Over the next 3 stops more and more people boarded and before I knew it I felt like I was at a rock concert. I struggled to protect my computer as people pused harder and harder against me. Before I knew it I was trapped. Thankfully I am a tall guy and my arms were trapped around most peoples head level.

At the next stop the doors opened and instead of the people getting out more people got in. The doors couldnt close at the station and we spent an extra 2 or three minutes at the landing with people craming in. As the doors closed I started to realize this was turning into a bad situation. At the next stop the doors opened and people started to fall out but instead of exiting the tram more people got a running start and crushed the people trying to get off back in. It reminded me of that old schoolyard game called Red Rover where people lock arms and call someones name and then they try to break through the chain of arms...it was insane. Our stop was the next stop and as the doors opened more people forced ther way on. Everyone on the subway was trying to get off but we literally couldnt. The doors started to open and we all surged to push but we had no space to build momentum and the people outside trying to get on would get a running start. After we missed our stop by two landings the doors opened and I tried to do a crowed surfing type manuver where I hooked my hands on the top of the door and pull myself back but people just keep pushing me back in. Everyone was laughing at the funny gringo trying to go against traffic. At first Dennis had tried to get out but he realized the futility of the situation before I did. By the 3rd landing there were so many more people on the subway trying to get off that we finally broke through the crowd trying to get in. As we pushed off I felt a moment of relief as the crowd parted but as the people up front broke from the group the crowed outside out powered the crowd inside. I felt my feet slipping back into the cart and I momentarily freaked out. I set my feet and pushed as hard as I could with my arms pushing people out of the way with no disregard for what, who or how I pushed. I looked a little something like Will Ferral from Old School when he was shot with that tranqualizer dart. I was snatching peoples heads and forcing my way out. Thankfully I made it off the subway. The problem was we ended up so far from where we were supposed to get off that I had to pay for a cab to take us BACK three stops. I am not sure if I'll make another attempt on the subway...at least not during rush hour.

I had the oppertunity to go to a nice pizza place here and all I can say is "wow". If you come down here and are staying in Rio let me know and I'll get you the address to this pizza place. It goes for less than 10 american dollars and I consider it a nicer dining experience than Outback or Olive Garden. The pizza was amazing and it was one of the few places I've been down here where they waiter actually fills up your drink when it gets low. The waiters constantly walk around with fresh pizza and offer up slices to all the guests. I was there with a group of Portuguese teachers and they helped by telling me what was on each pizza. I would say this was some of the best pizza that I have ever had...all freshly made, with fresh ingredients and quality meats. I will miss experiences like this when I get home. I did however get caught offguard with one "gringo pizza". I call it Gringo pizza because I seriously think they put it out as an option to mess us up. I thought it was strips of beef but as they put it on my plate the other teachers informed me that it was a fish pizza. I thought ewww.....but I do like sushi so I figured I would give it a try. I took a bite of the pizza and I almost threw up...it was horrible possibly the most salty thing I have ever eaten. I had to supress my gag reflex and force myself to swallow it because I didnt want to embarass any of the people I was eating with considering I was the only gringo there. I did however take a nice picture of this pizza and you can clearly see that the only bite taken it out it was the first bite. All the teachers got a good laugh at me and agreed we should call it the Gringo Pizza.

In case you didnt know there are a lot of cultural differences between Brazil and the United States. Some of them have been outlined in my previous posts but there are two that contrast so much I feel like I need to point them out.

The first is the fact that the Brazilians do not eat pizza, nor anuy other food that I can tell, with their hands. They use a knife and fork to slice their pizza and eat it in nice little squares. The hole night I had to sit there resisting the urge to pick it up, fold it sideways, and stuff it in my mouth. It was frustrating becuase I just couldnt consume it nearly as fast as I would at home. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that americans are so obese...we eat food with our hands and it is much easier. I am not exactly sure why they dont eat it with their hands, but they deffinalty frown upon gringos when they do it.

This brings me to the second cultural difference that I want to talk about this week. It seems rather odd to me that people from here have a problem with people eating food with their bare hands but they have absolutley no problem picking their nose in public. It is actually kind of amusing, you can watch them do it with little to no shame and then watch as they whipe it under the seat or throw it on the floor. At first I was shocked like "ohh my God, that guy is knuckle deep in his nose" and I would silently wonder if he could feel his brain with his finger but now I just silently gawk waiting to see what they do with it. I am happy to say I have not seen one eaten yet, but rest assure when I do you guys will be the first to know.

switching topics....

I continue to be injured. I dont know what is going on with my back but I fear that I have either broken a rib or partially torn a muscle in my back. I continue to train although it seems like every day I pick up some new injury. I have dislocated my thumb on my right hand (yes I am right handed) and it is a nagging pain. Every time I try to choke someone or grab ahold of a grip my thumb sends pain down my arm. And of course that doesnt count for the fact that people love to defend every possible move here by grabbing the hand...it makes me cringe in pain and I cant let go fast enough. I still also have my broken toe and last night I got kicked if the face. When I say kicked, I dont mean I got lightly hit in the head...I have to compare it to the knock out when Chuck Liddell knocked out Babalou....it was his shin vs. my face...and my face lost. My nose started bleeding and I sat quietly tryin go gain my compsure as the room stopped spinning. Thankfully it was one of those times where the person that did it knew immediatly that they should stop. The guy who did it was a VERY nice blackbelt and I am just glad he was going slow or I might have found out the nutritional value of my teeth.

I am glad that it is Saturday and my body will get to rest tonight and tomorrow. I am slightly dissapointed that I only got 7 training sessions in this week and I am setting my sights on at least 10 next week. I have talked to Gordo and I am going to start getting an extra no gi private lesson a week from him. That will round my no gi training to 3 times a week with instruction (plus whatever else I can get with other guys from the school) and 7 gi classes. I think that next month I might try and add in the boxing classes directly after the BJJ classes but I am always dragging ass. Most of the time I have to go home and jump straigt in the pool to cool down...I dont know I'll try my best at that. I know that every day I train here will help me out sooo much when I get home.

I know there are so many things that I wanted to blog about that I am forgetting but when I get my computer back and I can post bi-daily that it wont be this way. The posts will get a little shorter and allow more people to read them. Sorry they are taking up so much space at the moment guys but I am trying to give you the most accurate representation of my adventures here in Brazil. It will include training but also continue to contain my cultural experiences too. Thanks for reading and I'll post again as soon as I get my computer back.

Great write up on the subway...I couldn't stop laughing! Great name for the salty pizza too.

Yes, I was talking about you, not bad. Are you close to the side of the beach that leads to Ipanima with the giant sewage outlet?

nah, by the copa palace. republica do peru, about 5-10 minute walk from equipe1. my landlord just changed his number and its in my email somewhere ill get back to you when i find it.

cool stories. i experience something like that, but not to that extent. all i could think about was if there was a fire, an earthquake, some kind of catastrophe, most of the people in the car are dying.

I think pizza here sucks. Is it so hard to ask for some damn pizza sauce? Ive only found one place that came with pizza sauce.

About the injurys - Last week I trained with a dude who had a broken hand, like all wrapped up in gauze, and he couldnt use it. Dedication. My knee still isnt 100% but i want to be in the gym by monday. looks like ill work on my non existent open guard game.

Thanks for taking the time to posts these updates. I am having a great time living vicariously.

Take care of those injuries, my fren...

Those stories were great. How do people actually get off the train with style? I never rode the subway there but just driving around was quite dangerous. There is no such thing as lanes there.

Gringo pizza...lol...

Thanks man. Good luck and keep posting.

lol gerb thats awesome... ya sound like you are having a blast, between you buck and cash i am 100% convienced to go now... i have a time frame, but will narrow it down to dates as i get closer... though i am juss gonna go to gracie camp... figured it will me simpler and i have less time than you guys

Thanks for taking the time to posts these updates. I am having a great time living vicariously.

Haha ditto!

This is by far the most informing first hand view of life in Rio while training.

Nice job brutha, ive been following since page 1. Its way cool, youve seriously inspired a lot of people here.

Seriously good read! The things you point out on differences you notice is great. I appreciate you posting up all that you have, I'm sure it's a pain with problems with your computer and thumb.

When you come back, I wonder how it will feel to train again in the US.

Just saying that I love your stories too and it definately make me wanna go some day :)

thanks for the positive feedback guys, it really encourages me to keep posting. I still dont have a computer (I know most of you are shocked) but I am supposed to get it back tomorrow. Let us keep our fingers crossed!

On another note training this morning was pretty rough. I started off doing well and then another guy from the states who has his own school in Florida beat me like a drum. I think I spent more time slapping hands after being submitted than I did actually grappling. (he tapped me 6 times in 5 minutes...that's kinda embarrassing)

On a positive note Vitor Belfort came to class this morning and worked out. I didnt have my camera but he said he's coming back on thursday and he said we could get our picture then. I'm pretty stoked about that. He did roll time with us and I almost got paired against him but at the last moment Gordo swapped us out...I was kinda bummed but hey I have 6 months here to get my ass kicked by him.

Anyway, small update for today but I have some good stories for the next longer post. Keep it real guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back