Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who wants to see those pictures at a decent size just replace the "m" in the image name with "l."

Great thread, thanx for the updates. Id like to do this in a few years when I get to a decent level.

Hey guys just a little update

My computer is still broken although I am going to see about getting it fixed tomrrow and then I will make an update as soon as possible, I have a lot of interesting things to talk about.

I was also asked to write a piece about the Brasileiros for thefightworkspodcast and I thought you guys might like to read it so here it is

Tournament Review Tuesday: Brasileiros
May 19, 2009
The Brasileiros - An Outsider

still no idea of costs.....I spoke with a travel agent and did some searching online. The most expensive part of it is airfare as far as I can tell. For a month its gonna cost me around 2200-2400 depending on when I actually book. If I spend the whole month in a hotel its gonna cost a small fortune. Advise?

Been there done that. Be careful. Buy some Brazilian clothes first thing.

Never carry a towel to the beach. Criminals will know you're a gringo. Don't over-train like I did because Its super hot there and the humidity will kill you. Whatever happens avoid getting injured and tap quick. Some brazilians are sick of Gringoes and will crank the hell out of subs even after you tap. Choose your training partners carefully.

Get used to training in a sweaty, smelly gi because laundry is expensive and most people do not have dryers. It takes almost 24 hours to hang dry a gi sometimes so make sure you have 4 or 5 tops.

Have fun! I had the best time ever!

If you're in Rio and you want directions to a really cheap/safe/discrete whore house in the Uruguaiana PM me.

i dunno about that having trained twice before in brazil --maybe your visting some really shitty parts/gyms

nearly everyone take a towel to the beach to sit on --how wud u stick out? it wont be super hot there in June -- will be very plesant 20oc ish

i dunno about that having trained twice before in brazil --maybe your visting some really shitty parts/gyms

nearly everyone take a towel to the beach to sit on --how wud u stick out? it wont be super hot there in June -- will be very plesant 20oc ish

From my experience (3 months) Brasileiros don't carry towels to the beach. Mostly females and gringo's carry them. I was just giving him some advice on how to blend in. I lived 20m from copacabana beach so I saw a lots of people and the majority of the young guys never had towels.

From my experience (3 months) Brasileiros don't carry towels to the beach. Mostly females and gringo's carry them. I was just giving him some advice on how to blend in. I lived 20m from copacabana beach so I saw a lots of people and the majority of the young guys never had towels.

Some more advices please ;)

still no idea of costs.....I spoke with a travel agent and did some searching online. The most expensive part of it is airfare as far as I can tell. For a month its gonna cost me around 2200-2400 depending on when I actually book. If I spend the whole month in a hotel its gonna cost a small fortune. Advise?

Travel agents are useless, don't listen to them.

Book your ticket here: http://www.vayama.com/

And stay here:http://www.piratasdeipanema.com/

I expect a check for half the ammount I just saved you deposited into my account by Monday, along with several pic sets of naked Brazilian women.

Flying out of Houston should be fairly cheap, I believe there are direct flights to Rio from there.

This thread is amazing. I am so envious. Besides the fact that doing this would improve your BJJ enormously, I think it would be an incredible all around experience. Moving to a completely different country, immersing yourself in their culture, learning a new language, making friends half way around the world. What else can you ask for?

I'm new to BJJ but in a few years I would absolutely love to do this. What do you do about "real life" though? I have a great job now.. and I'm not so sure I could just up and leave for six months and expect to get it back. I guess you just gotta go for it and hope for the best!

I'll be following this thread for sure.

When you are ready to come, get in touch and I will help you find a place with more freedom than a hotel but all the benefits.

i almost went to brazil but traveled south east asia instead but plan on going back to thailand to to train muay thai... since bjj is my first love i really want to go but fear the cost... about how long would 2 grand last me down there

i almost went to brazil but traveled south east asia instead but plan on going back to thailand to to train muay thai... since bjj is my first love i really want to go but fear the cost... about how long would 2 grand last me down there

I have never gone but I read about it a lot. I think you could stay 2 months if your plane ticket didnt come out of that 2k. You wouldnt have a whole lot of cash to fuck with, but I think you would have enough to party and have fun still.

I might be mistaken, but I think Rio Connection got a guy from Sherdog a sweet place in Copacabana and he was paying $550 a month. So I am sure you could get a OK place for $400-$450 a month. I may be wrong though.

This thread is amazing. I am so envious. Besides the fact that doing this would improve your BJJ enormously, I think it would be an incredible all around experience. Moving to a completely different country, immersing yourself in their culture, learning a new language, making friends half way around the world. What else can you ask for?

I'm new to BJJ but in a few years I would absolutely love to do this. What do you do about "real life" though? I have a great job now.. and I'm not so sure I could just up and leave for six months and expect to get it back. I guess you just gotta go for it and hope for the best!

I'll be following this thread for sure.

im in the same boat, cant leave my great job but i hate life in LA, not really but this thread is making me hate life in LA, if you do it let me know, I may just say fuck all this, i have been to Sao Paulo and Guaruja for a month and it was the best time of my life, Guaruja is like a mini Rio minus all the badass BJJ schools

I have never gone but I read about it a lot. I think you could stay 2 months if your plane ticket didnt come out of that 2k. You wouldnt have a whole lot of cash to fuck with, but I think you would have enough to party and have fun still.

I might be mistaken, but I think Rio Connection got a guy from Sherdog a sweet place in Copacabana and he was paying $550 a month. So I am sure you could get a OK place for $400-$450 a month. I may be wrong though.

Thanks for the props but I cannot take credit for that (if it is the one I am tinking of). Also, that $550 a month is with a room-mate in a one bedroom atp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back