Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
That pass looks so slick.
Enjoy your braces. I had them from grades 5 to 7th and have perfect teeth now:)

Sorry forgot, to ask, how old is Igor? What are his goals? Sorry if this has been said I have read everything and read your updates.

Don't braces just correct crooked teeth? Why did you get braces when you just have a chipped front tooth? Did you get a tooth removed then a new one put in? Please explain because I don't get it.

Don't braces just correct crooked teeth? Why did you get braces when you just have a chipped front tooth? Did you get a tooth removed then a new one put in? Please explain because I don't get it.

My teeth have been broken so long that my bottom teeth drifted out and if they were to cap my tooth I wouldnt be able to close my mouth. It is one of the reasons that I only need braces for 3 months, my teeth are generally straight.

Now I gotcha Jeremy. We are pretty similar in the aspect that neither of us smile with our mouths open in pictures. I have spaces inbetween my top front teeth due to the fact that they are small comparatively and my mouth is larger than normal. They never got pushed together and I really can't get braces to fix it but other than that my teeth are perfectly straight and nice!

Last edited:
Jeff Glover used to go for a similar back take, except the leg you have wedged in his back he pulls all the way through to establish a hook. I think its in the trailer for his half guard DVD too

Jeff Glover used to go for a similar back take, except the leg you have wedged in his back he pulls all the way through to establish a hook. I think its in the trailer for his half guard DVD too

Hey Kenny, any word on your DVD? I was interested in it for sure.

Hey Kenny, any word on your DVD? I was interested in it for sure.

Gonna go back to working on it like crazy once I get back to the US so its done by Spring. Gonna shoot some continuations as well so the footage isnt dated.

Gonna go back to working on it like crazy once I get back to the US so its done by Spring. Gonna shoot some continuations as well so the footage isnt dated.

Ok thats cool. I guess I'll see about it a little later. I was gonna say whats up at the Worlds, guess I will next time.

Quick question, how is Gordos if you are an mma fighter compared to other gyms? Obviously if you are going to Brazil jiu jitsu is the main focus but are there certain gyms that are focused a little more towards mma with no gi, striking, judo, etc? I know the bigger name gyms like chute box and btt but just curious if anyone had any first hand experience.

Quick question, how is Gordos if you are an mma fighter compared to other gyms? Obviously if you are going to Brazil jiu jitsu is the main focus but are there certain gyms that are focused a little more towards mma with no gi, striking, judo, etc? I know the bigger name gyms like chute box and btt but just curious if anyone had any first hand experience.

The focus at the Gordo academy, as far as no gi is concerned, is MMA oriented. I would say about half of the guys wear gloves in the no gi class and often they get paired together to lightly ground and pound eachother. So I would say that our gym is very MMA friendly.

We have a lot of professional fighters at our gym and we usually have one or two that use Gordo Jiujitsu as their training camp for upcoming fights.

The focus at the Gordo academy, as far as no gi is concerned, is MMA oriented. I would say about half of the guys wear gloves in the no gi class and often they get paired together to lightly ground and pound eachother. So I would say that our gym is very MMA friendly.

We have a lot of professional fighters at our gym and we usually have one or two that use Gordo Jiujitsu as their training camp for upcoming fights.

Greaaaaat thread bro!
Im Carioca,purple belt living in Amsterdam,finally we got some serious BJJ over there,with one of Carlson

Hey Gerbil, as a carioca, i find the way you describe my city really funny and interesting cuz you make things that are normal/routine to me sound awesome and different and you make me think how Rio can be cool if you know where to go.. Its fun to see on sherdog pics from places that are not more than a mile away from the place I live and your comments about things that i do in my regular life in rio de janeiro, it makes me feel proud about my hometown! Awesome blog man, hope you enjoy rio and our bjj schools!
By the way, that rockstar pass is kinda awesome, i'll try to throw that someday in practice.. I train in Akxe Bjj in barra da tijuca, heard of?

See ya

Hey Gerbil, as a carioca, i find the way you describe my city really funny and interesting cuz you make things that are normal/routine to me sound awesome and different and you make me think how Rio can be cool if you know where to go.. Its fun to see on sherdog pics from places that are not more than a mile away from the place I live and your comments about things that i do in my regular life in rio de janeiro, it makes me feel proud about my hometown! Awesome blog man, hope you enjoy rio and our bjj schools!
By the way, that rockstar pass is kinda awesome, i'll try to throw that someday in practice.. I train in Akxe Bjj in barra da tijuca, heard of?

See ya

my friend hillary trained at akxe, she said you guys were awesome

wow its crazy to find someone that actually trained in my gym here in sherdog!! nice! thank you bro, if u can ask hillary to come by this thread, i'd really enjoy to talk a bit with her!

(Post 1/2)

It has been a long week riddled with disappointment and setback. Like many other professional athletes, the injuries are starting to rack up and now they are building off of each other. On Monday morning I injured my ankle while trying to finish an open guard sweep against one of the better black belts at the academy. As I started to come from the seated position my opponent pushed back into me and my foot was caught under his body. It was in the

(post 2/2)

I tend to be a person that likes routines, consistency and collecting things. This leads to me doing things that might seem abnormal, like collecting movie stubs, eating the same flavor ice cream every time and, most recently, collecting pictures of my friends in Burger King crowns.

I believe I have posted three or four different pictures of me posing with other people wearing the cheesy little paper crown. Sometime this week I made the decision that I was going to collect as many of these pictures as I can between now and the time I leave and then make a collage depicting all of my friends form Brazil wearing Burger King crowns. I think it will be kind of cool and at the very least pretty amusing. Here is this weeks addition to my collection.

SAM_1923.jpg

I witnessed my first physical altercation while staying in Brazil. I know you will all be shocked to hear where it happened...that's right...the movie theater. Six of us got together from the house and decided to go see Avatar in 3D (they brought it back for a limited time in the local theater). The line for the concessions was insanely long and our movie had started so we decided to leave the line and watch the movie.

About 15 minutes into the movie I decided that I really did want some popcorn and a drink so I returned to the concessions line and took my place at the end of the line. The service at the concessions is typically terrible and this night was no different. I choose to pass the time thinking about other things going on in my life: have I washed my kimonos?, What kind of popcorn am I going to eat? And did I feed the cat?.

Evidently one of the other patrons chose to spend his time in line differently. By the time he arrived at the counter he was already pissed off. I look over in time to see him yelling at the man behind the cash register. The customer started making a scene, saying that he didn

Cool stuff as always Gerbil!

May I ask: How many rest days do you have per week and what is your average pre-day-training ration when not injured.

Cheers and heal up quickly!

hi gerbil, nice post!

May i ask if your opponent was trying a de la riva on you and have his hands on ur foot/heels. Is this pass still an option ?

in your passing game have you looked at finishing your passes with walking back towards the hips to control them? rather than just turning straight away into side control. this is something i have noticed that EVERY single high level guy i have trained with teaches and does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back