Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
(post 2/2)

One of my room mates Ryan has a great quote about learning Portuguese- "A little bit goes a long way" and he is 100% correct. It is amazing how learning a couple new words a day really opens up the ability to communicate. I walk around the house and the grocery store saying random words trying to remember them. I know people look at me like I'm crazy...and they're right LoL. Another bit of advice - Buy a dictionary it really helps. I resort to carrying it around with me when I go on trips and it can really save you in a tight situation. The good part that most people dont realize is that not only does it have a English to Portugues section...but it has a Portuguese to English section so the locals can communicate back. This has saved me a couple of times.

The weather has started to cool off here and I'm very thankful. Although I am still the only person that leaves a pool of sweat doing the warm ups. I'm not particularly winded at the end of the warmups but typically it's so damn hot that I feel like I'm going to melt. I have this fear that one day they are going to look over at where I was standing and it's going to be my gi on the floor surrounded by a puddle of water. It'll look something like the scene from The Wizard of Oz when the witch melts. I'm so happy to walk around at 20 degrees in shorts and a Tshirt. All the locals shake their head and call me crazy...and thier right! LoL. I'm dreading the summer coming back.

On a negative note there is some bad news. When planning my trip to come to Brazil the exchange rate was 2.4:1 and now it has fallen dramitically to 1.9:1 and it appears to be going lower. This is going to create some difficulties for me if it goes to much lower. It's like watching 20% of my money disappear and...well it's stressing me out. Other than my stint in Iraq with the military I've never left the country and this would be my first adventure to another continent. I'm a good planner but I overlooked this simple variable. My suggestion is that you account for this when planning. It's not really a big deal if you're coming for a month or 6 weeks, but when trying to plan for 6 months this HAS TO BE something that you think about. My suggestion would be to pay for your rent as soon as you get here and aknowlege it's a place that you want to stay. For me this may mean that I have to cut my trip down by a month...perhaps two which is NOT what I want considering I'm having the time of my life and really improving my BJJ game. For now I'll just cut back on my alloted spending per day.

Other than that little bit of news life is great, the scenery is awesome, the training is great and I'm making a life experience. I really hope that you guys make the decision to come down to Brazil and if you need ANY questions answered please feel free to ask. I've been doing my best to keep up with the thread and answer questions and personal messages. I check the thread daily and I promise to keep the posts coming as long as people keep reading them.

Later guys
The Gerbil

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

index.cfm

Uhm not showing. Still awesome story dude. I hear you used an eletric shower hahaha I find it annoying also. Eletric shower's are only in some houses. I mean my house has two knob's like a normal shower but normally beach environment's use eletric shower's and it also has a little bit to do with money as the eletric shower is cheaper. Good luck Rato :D

NOOOOOO!!!!

Damn sherdog and their embedding.

Go advanced bro, then add them on the thumbnails option. If the pics are saved on your laptop, itll work properly.

NOOOOOO!!!!

Damn sherdog and their embedding.

Go advanced bro, then add them on the thumbnails option. If the pics are saved on your laptop, itll work properly.

The previou times I tried to just post them via copy pasting them with the correct imbedding code. This time however I DID use the thumbnail and it's not working. I'm not a computer retard but this is making me feel like one.

Thanks for the advice :( hopefully I can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any other suggestions? Maybe myspace isnt supported as a place to link from

You tried to link the page the pictures were on, not the pictures themselves.

l_d4274dd686394e2b8f9d856c8565317b.jpg

l_695c682c771c4f359b614b41aebf425e.jpg

l_c41f8de8566e4be4b9d05e642e5f8ad4.jpg

l_1350f36e4845490ca086aaee2cbf59c9.jpg

cool pics man :)

your story with the showers reminded me of my first visit to the US.. while in LA for a week i couldn't figure out how to use the shower with the bath taps. when i turned the knob water only came out the bath tap and not the shower head. so i just did it asian style and splashed water over myself from the bath tap for the whole week hahaha

also i downloaded some listening lessons and have been studying them for a couple of months now... Pimsleur's Brazilian Portuguese.. they really help heaps. there's 3 levels and about 30 half hour lessons in each. you can buy the cd's for them as well, although i just downloaded it, about 1gb all up.

Awesome update as always Rato! :p Really cool pics with Vitor too. Keep training hard and thanks for taking the time to update us of your adventures!

Let me point out that someone warned me that training 3 times a day without steroids was probably impossible. It was back on the first page or two of the thread and that gentleman can now enter the thread with a big "I told you so" and I would rightfully deserve it.

I heard Steroids are over the counter in Brazil. Why dont you go to a pharmacy and get some?

The exchange rate is troubling. When I first arrived in 2000 it was around the same it is now 1:1.9. Ive had it as good as 1:3. As long as it stays close to 1:2 its not the end of the world but if it did work its way to 1:1.5 I personally think it would be a disaster. Anyhow, your trip is progressing nicely. The only thing I would recomend at this point would be a brasilian girlfriend. Within a month of my first arrival I had a brasilian girlfriend that spoke no english so it really forced me to practice portuguese alot. Just grab a chick and start calling her and asking her out and stuff. You should get a girl right quick who will hang with you. Its even a great excuse to start talking to hot chicks... Hey, do you mind helping me with my portuguese? Lets meet up for dinner or drinks... If your not using your portuguese often it will be a slow process if your just communicating with the gringos in that house. Also, watch tv and read the paper, I still read oglobo, great newspaper.

Just want to say thanks for this thread. I love it! I went to Brazil last summer for about a month and trained at a Gracie Barra school in Campinas (outside of Sao Paulo). The guys were great...and this is a wonderful trip down memory lane.

Good luck getting healthy. Bet you're having a blast!

The exchange rate is troubling. When I first arrived in 2000 it was around the same it is now 1:1.9. Ive had it as good as 1:3. As long as it stays close to 1:2 its not the end of the world but if it did work its way to 1:1.5 I personally think it would be a disaster. Anyhow, your trip is progressing nicely. The only thing I would recomend at this point would be a brasilian girlfriend. Within a month of my first arrival I had a brasilian girlfriend that spoke no english so it really forced me to practice portuguese alot. Just grab a chick and start calling her and asking her out and stuff. You should get a girl right quick who will hang with you. Its even a great excuse to start talking to hot chicks... Hey, do you mind helping me with my portuguese? Lets meet up for dinner or drinks... If your not using your portuguese often it will be a slow process if your just communicating with the gringos in that house. Also, watch tv and read the paper, I still read oglobo, great newspaper.

Yes, the exchange sucks. I think 1:1.5 is not sustainable for Brasil (their exports would be too expensive on the world market). 1:2 is sustainable, but I think 1:2.20 is something that I'd like to see coming back.

Brasilian girlfriend? That's how I became fluent in Spanish few years ago. Portuguese is the focus now.

dude you use an electrical shower thats why. ALl middle clas / above buildings have Gas heating, and its just like in the USA. Its probly because you live in a house, and its more rustic, idk

beginning of copa, by ipanema. we should organise all of us on here getting together. maybe find some girls to teach us portuguese? haha

bro, you live in my building? lol. I'm Nssa Senhora & Francisco Sa.

if the weather's is nice, we should hit Post 9, get some portuguese lessons, then hit up Lapa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back