Movies Without an Antagonist?

The Fountain, The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan.....so Darren Aronofsky movies I guess?

Trying to think of movies without clear antagonists.

Mrs. Doubtfire -- I guess there's a somewhat of a Mandela Effect with Bronson's character as the obstacle between Daniel and Miranda, but he was actually the nicest guy in the movie. Was polite, accommodating and even immediately forgave Doubtfire for almost killing him -- hell, he took a drive by fruiting without filing the pool side with uppercuts.

Homeward bound -- can't remember a clear antagonist in that.

Hoosiers? I guess the teacher who convinced the star player not to play could be considered an antagonist.

Any others?

Haha, your movie choices are funny.

There are tons of serious, award-winning movies without antagonists.

Requiem for a Dream
The Wrestler
Crazy Heart
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
21 Grams
Silver Linings Playbook

Shit, man, like half the films I like don't have antagonists.

The Fountain, The Wrestler, Requiem for a Dream, Black Swan.....so Darren Aronofsky movies I guess?

My man.

But I think Mila Kunis' character primarily, but also the aged dancer and the mother all stand-in as antagonists in Black Swan. I agree with the rest.

Was gonna say Forrest Gump but then i remembered that whore who made Forrest raise her diseased child.

Mrs. Doubtfire -- I guess there's a somewhat of a Mandela Effect with Bronson's character as the obstacle between Daniel and Miranda, but he was actually the nicest guy in the movie. Was polite, accommodating and even immediately forgave Doubtfire for almost killing him -- hell, he took a drive by fruiting without filing the pool side with uppercuts.

Are you fucking kidding? The WIFE was the antagonist in Mrs. Doubtfire.

Divorces Robin Williams' character, takes him to court, gets sole custody of the kids. Bitch can die in a fucking fire.

I don't think there's an antagonist in Awakenings is there? Not watching it again to find out because that shit made me cry like a bitch.

Are you fucking kidding? The WIFE was the antagonist in Mrs. Doubtfire.

Divorces Robin Williams' character, takes him to court, gets sole custody of the kids. Bitch can die in a fucking fire.
Even though I like Robin's character and it was an enjoyable movie, she was justified. I like him and his dedication to see his children, but in the beginning he was an irresponsible fuck-up who couldn't keep a steady job.

Who wouldn't freak out after coming home from a stressful day at work to him trashing the house for a party? It's implied that he does that often, she constantly forgives him but he doesn't change. He was basically a 4th child.

The divorce and loss of custody forced him to clean up his act. He ultimately did and then he got to see his kids everyday.

Haha, your movie choices are funny.

There are tons of serious, award-winning movies without antagonists.

Requiem for a Dream
The Wrestler
Crazy Heart
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
21 Grams
Silver Linings Playbook

Shit, man, like half the films I like don't have antagonists.

Wasn't the drug dealer / pimp an antagonist in Requiem for a Dream? Or, how about the 3 main characters when they turn to crime to support their habit?

Hoosiers? I guess the teacher who convinced the star player not to play could be considered an antagonist.

Any others?
It's been a long time since I've seen homeward bound but there are lots of antagonists that stand in the animal's way of getting home. The bear for one. The porcupine for another. In the animal's mind's the pound are I guess even though they were calling the family. As someone else said the very wild itself is an antagonist in this type of movie.

An antagonist does not have to be a bad person. In fact, an antagonist does not even have to be a person.

An antagonist is a character, group of characters, institution or concept that stands in or represents opposition against which the protagonist must contend. In other words, an antagonist is a person or a group of people who opposes a protagonist.

An antagonist is basically the obstacle that is preventing the protagonist from achieving his or her or its goal.

An example here

most recently La La Land

I've not actually seen La La Land, but from my understanding of the story, Mia's desire and determination to be an actress could be the antagonist. It's the obstacle that prevents her from being with the love of her life.

Last edited:
most recently La La Land...

They are not personified, but I feel like La La Land's antagonist is the responsibilities/expectation of being an adult in a relationship.

Yes the self is an antagonist, possibly the most common. Forces of nature antagonist. Society. Fate. The comedic or cruel gods.

But I think for this case we mean a character that's played by an actor.

Star Wars Episode III.
67427343.jpg

That's all he wanted.

Any others?

Cast Away
Gravity
Top Gun
Weekend at Bernie's

There are loads.... especially if the main characters challenge is only nature or something like that rather than another character.

Gravity
The Perfect Storm
Castaway
Crazy Stupid Love
Everest
127 hours
500 days of summer

Nature itself is the antagonist in Homeward Bound, Everest, Castaway, The Perfect Storm, Gravity, etc.

In Top Gun, Iceman is the antagonist. Although, you could argue the conventional way of being a fighter pilot, that Mav was rebelling against, is the antagonist.

In Weekend at Bernie's, the antagonist is whatever the opposite of adolescent summertime hijinks is.

Last edited:
National Lampoons Vacation.

The road and calamity were the antagonist.

Man vs the elements is one of the 3 or so basic stories. Nature/the elements are an antagonist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back