Movie/TV Tropes that you can't help but notice every time

P

Pwent

my big few ones

-hanging up the phone without saying goodbye or even saying youre gonna leave

tumblr_n4fhpp539e1suutixo1_500.gif

-every athletic/popular person is stupid and the narrative acts like the protagonists intelligence is what keeps them from being popular or ripped

tenor.gif

-the same exact sequence for almost every final battle
1) the protagonists army prepared some huge trick to give them an advantage thats working well
2) the enemy finds a solution and is winning
3) all hope seems lost
4) person/object/force from earlier in the movie comes in and saves the day

i.e. the animals coming to the rescue in avatar, han solo coming back to help luke kill the death star, neo becoming the one to defeat the agents in the matrix, jack sparrow picking up the gold to become invincible in the first pirates movie, the scepter being the weapon to kill the rock in the scorpion king, baxter coming back to save ron burgandy etc.

f48df97804ad542c73388247e9de57d1.jpg

-characters dont change into pajamas before bed and just sleep in normal clothes or underwear

Yeah, and very few characters sleep in the nude. That should be way more common.

Also, if it is with a group of some sort. The regular unnamed guys who they take/volunteer/hired to go along always all die. I mean, at some point officer/soldier/adventurer fr hire #6 and #9 would live while the others die. But no, they all die and just the one or two heros live everytime. At least Guy from Galaxy Quest lived.

The hanging up the phone without saying a word really bugs me the most out of those examples. Happens way too often in movies/TV shows and yet no one actually acts like that in real life (Unless you're an asshole)

I'll add characters ordering food at a restaurant without actually eating anything on the plate.

"you don't need to do this"

<{hughesimpress}>

Driving scenes where the "driver" is constantly turning the wheel as though they are driving a 1950s truck

the complete disregard of city destruction by super heroes in a fight. they're killing more then they're saving in some of those movies.

Yeah, and very few characters sleep in the nude. That should be way more common.

Also, if it is with a group of some sort. The regular unnamed guys who they take/volunteer/hired to go along always all die. I mean, at some point officer/soldier/adventurer fr hire #6 and #9 would live while the others die. But no, they all die and just the one or two heros live everytime. At least Guy from Galaxy Quest lived.

Same thing where the last minute replacement for the trusted member of the crew, who someone vouched for, is the reason everything goes wrong

Everyone has perfect memory. Say anything once and they'll remember it. No need to read back a phone number or address or vital combination of words in a language you've never heard before until 10 seconds ago.

my big few ones

-hanging up the phone without saying goodbye or even saying youre gonna leave

tumblr_n4fhpp539e1suutixo1_500.gif

-every athletic/popular person is stupid and the narrative acts like the protagonists intelligence is what keeps them from being popular or ripped

tenor.gif

-the same exact sequence for almost every final battle
1) the protagonists army prepared some huge trick to give them an advantage thats working well
2) the enemy finds a solution and is winning
3) all hope seems lost
4) person/object/force from earlier in the movie comes in and saves the day

i.e. the animals coming to the rescue in avatar, han solo coming back to help luke kill the death star, neo becoming the one to defeat the agents in the matrix, jack sparrow picking up the gold to become invincible in the first pirates movie, the scepter being the weapon to kill the rock in the scorpion king, baxter coming back to save ron burgandy etc.

f48df97804ad542c73388247e9de57d1.jpg

-characters dont change into pajamas before bed and just sleep in normal clothes or underwear

I recall this thread being done a while back - it's a good thread idea so fair play Pwee for doing another.

The not saying good bye was addressed then and someone answered it;

Screenwriters don't bother with characters saying goodbye and banal stuff like that on the telephone cos it's slightly arbitrary and seen as a waste of time and space on a screen/teleplay. So it's kind of a screenwriting tradition not to.

I would just say most of the tv and movie tropes come from screenwriting being so standardised, and there is a formula that tv and movie production companies won't/can't stray from as an industry standard.

I guess what we'd like to see is more naturalistic acting, direction and composition.

Everything is too polished and flawless; people don't stutter, pispronounce their worms or need to take a dump mid sequence. It's all too manufactured and synthetic.

People always chamber a round before firing their weapon. That shit drives me insane.

Drinking from empty cups. 90 percent of the time.

Never interacting (thank you etc) with extras / waiters / waitresses that bring them food and other stuff.

CGI "lens flare" added to digitally shot film. Looking at you, Abrams. Every time, takes me out of the film because it's so fake looking.

Should an interesting villain with not much screen time garner fan interest due to his enigmatic allure, always milk the shit out of him to the point of making him lame in the inevitable follow-ups, and shit on everything that made him intimidating in the first film.

John Kramer in the Saw sequels.
Darth Vader in the prequels as Anakin.
Pinhead in the Hellraiser sequels.

Back