Moves that exist in Kung Fu that don't exist in karate or tkd?

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I've only experienced one kung fu guy and the most different thing he did was his footwork. I bet by and large the biggest difference is footwork and movement. Other than that most of the strikes that exist in kung fu can be found in karate and tkd. I guess the difference lies in how and how often the strikes are applied. For example, front leg kicking,crescent kicks and jumping spinning kicks seem to be more common in kung fu and tkd, which is odd because tsd and tkd are korean karate. I wonder if there is a kung fu influence in korea martial arts? I also know sticky hands exist in both okinawan karate and kung fu. if you know of any hidden gems among kung fu please post.

Last edited:
Hm. I know almost nothing about Chinese martial arts, but I knew a kung fu guy who taught me this little combo thing where you slap away your opponent's punch, then with the same hand hit the opponent's face and then hit it a second time with your other hand. It sounds silly but it's worked for me in sparring situations if I'm fast enough.

Edit:

Unfortunately, your video is a bit of Chinese govt. propaganda. They have an interest in promoting Chinese traditional martial arts and this bout was staged for air on Chinese state TV. (Remember that Chinese MMA guy who beat the tai chi guy? The MMA guy is in hiding and the government cracked down on his schools because of what he did.)

(Remember that Chinese MMA guy who beat the tai chi guy? The MMA guy is in hiding and the government cracked down on his schools because of what he did.)
Interesting and plausible but I must request a source.

Back to OP question: what stood out for me in some KF styles were the body slams. In Karate (and TKD) body to body contact is rare, most fighting is done at a distance (long to mid range). Sanda, Bagua and some other KF styles use the body to disrupt balance before striking or throwing in a very interesting way.

Perhaps not the best example but I don't know where to look:

Yellow guy is Bagua I believe.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...taged-fight-mixed-martial-artist-claims-after

Its pretty fun there was such outrage from the Kung fu community given the tai chi guy came from a fabricated lineage. If anything it was a good thing he got beat down.

Though the "MMA" guy came from a made up self taught background too. made up MMA thumps made up tai chi apparently.:D
Thanks. Looks like he wasn't detained but rather "politely asked to GTFO" by authorities. :p

Another article has more criticism towards tai chi:

Jiang Lugui, president of the Taohua Tai Chi Research Institute under the Sichuan Martial Arts Association, said tai chi had changed over time from a combat technique to a form of exercise.

“People practice martial arts not to kill but to cultivate a healthy body. Tai chi has largely developed into a competitive sport or exercise for health,” Jiang said.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...perts-step-out-challenge-mma-fighter-who-beat

In traditional Kung Fu, there was a lot of finger strikes to soft areas (eyes, throat, dingaling, etc.)

There also was a lot of power-gripping and ripping movements which relied on a strongly developed grip.

Striking with a carefully conditioned/hardened palm was very common and also striking an opponent with intentionally with conditioned/hardened forearms.

One more thing is that there was a lot of standing joint locks incorporated in many of the main popular styles (which often utilized the aforementioned specially-trained gripstrength).

---

A lot of the acrobatics in certain kung fu styles were done for the purpose of developing athleticism, which goes very far in an actual fight (similar to gymnastics and how gymnasts tend to make naturally good fighters).

Also, the reason why Kung Fu is noticeably not at peak efficiency when it comes to hand-to-hand techniques is because it was based primarily on/for WEAPONS (e.g., spear) application, with empty hand being of less practical importance in the real world, but based on the same techniques as were developed for use with a weapon.

---

There existed several distinct and varied stylesand sub-styles of Kung Fu, often unrelated and from different regions, which focused on different specialties and skillsets, were based on radically different theories.

Last edited:
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...taged-fight-mixed-martial-artist-claims-after

Its pretty fun there was such outrage from the Kung fu community given the tai chi guy came from a fabricated lineage. If anything it was a good thing he got beat down.

Though the "MMA" guy came from a made up self taught background too. made up MMA thumps made up tai chi apparently.:D

There was a vice documentary on that MMA guy that I watched a few months back.

Yes he got into a lot of trouble with the authorities and the general public in China. Judging from the documentary/interview he seems to have gotten away without any serious repercussions (a little financial/security issues) although he had zero remorse about the incident as well judging from what I saw.

Kind of have mixed feelings about it. It's good that he showed that guy was a fraud (nothing more dangerous is someone teaching you stuff that won't work when your life might depend on it) but again the way he behaved after, the brutality of it and the fact he hit him too many times when he was on the ground (he didn't have to do that) - gave it a sour taste in my mouth. How'd he feel if someone did that to him as an old man?

But he came across in the vice interview as a bully, very arrogant, full of ego and very much a meathead with anger issues.

There was a vice documentary on that MMA guy that I watched a few months back.

Yes he got into a lot of trouble with the authorities and the general public in China. Judging from the documentary/interview he seems to have gotten away without any serious repercussions (a little financial/security issues) although he had zero remorse about the incident as well judging from what I saw.

Kind of have mixed feelings about it. It's good that he showed that guy was a fraud (nothing more dangerous is someone teaching you stuff that won't work when your life might depend on it) but again the way he behaved after, the brutality of it and the fact he hit him too many times when he was on the ground (he didn't have to do that) - gave it a sour taste in my mouth. How'd he feel if someone did that to him as an old man?

But he came across in the vice interview as a bully, very arrogant, full of ego and very much a meathead with anger issues.

Its a fight dude leave your princess mentalities for your pokemon games. Everything in the fighting world is too safety first aand namby pamby as it is. The guy can say I quit when he likes and the ref is there to save him and he did

Great vid though.

I've only experienced one kung fu guy and the most different thing he did was his footwork. I bet by and large the biggest difference is footwork and movement. Other than that most of the strikes that exist in kung fu can be found in karate and tkd. I guess the difference lies in how and how often the strikes are applied. For example, front leg kicking,crescent kicks and jumping spinning kicks seem to be more common in kung fu and tkd, which is odd because tsd and tkd are korean karate. I wonder if there is a kung fu influence in korea martial arts? I also know sticky hands exist in both okinawan karate and kung fu. if you know of any hidden gems among kung fu please post.

Karate kicks are from northern Kung Fu so thats correct.

happy_ending_massage_parlor_card-r739dc26883b84abd97bb62f69b13da6f_xvuak_8byvr_324.jpg

Kung Fu is a very broad term.

Karate was influenced greatly by southern chinese styles like Fujian white crane & monkfist boxing and also by indigenous Okinawan styles like Tegumi & Te but also by mainland Japanese styles like Kyudo (bow martial art), jigen ryu (sword martial art) etc.

Most of the early originators of karate were masters in Japanese swordsmanship/archery, in southern chinese styles and in the indingenous styles already in Okinawa like for example; off the top of my head Matsumura Soko & Anko Asato, who pretty much instructed the who's who of Karate in Okinawa - nearly all the big names in Karate trace their lineage to these two instructors.

Then of course you have TKD/TSD which itself borrowed heavily from shorin ryu & shotokan - nearly all the major founders were shotokan/shorin ryu students.

There is probably without a doubt an influence of chinese martial arts in Korean martial arts. I mean the influence is very well documented in Japanese styles.

Kung Fu is a very broad term.

Karate was influenced greatly by southern chinese styles like Fujian white crane & monkfist boxing and also by indigenous Okinawan styles like Tegumi & Te but also by mainland Japanese styles like Kyudo (bow martial art), jigen ryu (sword martial art) etc.

Most of the early originators of karate were masters in Japanese swordsmanship/archery, in southern chinese styles and in the indingenous styles already in Okinawa like for example; off the top of my head Matsumura Soko & Anko Asato, who pretty much instructed the who's who of Karate in Okinawa - nearly all the big names in Karate trace their lineage to these two instructors.

Then of course you have TKD/TSD which itself borrowed heavily from shorin ryu & shotokan - nearly all the major founders were shotokan/shorin ryu students.

There is probably without a doubt an influence of chinese martial arts in Korean martial arts. I mean the influence is very well documented in Japanese styles.
that is very interesting, I didnt know shorin ryu influenced tkd, but it makes sense because people think bill wallace who did shorin ryu resembles tkd. So maybe that is why.

that is very interesting, I didnt know shorin ryu influenced tkd, but it makes sense because people think bill wallace who did shorin ryu resembles tkd. So maybe that is why.

Most of the styles that spread to mainland Japan were shorin ryu influenced. Many of the modern founders of tkd studied karate in mainland Japan and eventually brought it back to Korea and mixed it with Taekkyon. That's why styles like shotokan look very similar to tkd but styles like goju ryu or uechi ryu for example don't.

It's funny with Taekkyon - it looks very reminiscent of chinese martial arts. I wouldn't be surprised if it originally made it's way from China because I know in the past Korea was a vassal kingdom to China at various points throughout history. From what I've read online also TSD seems to have played a very important role in the creation of tkd.

Most of the styles that spread to mainland Japan were shorin ryu influenced. Many of the modern founders of tkd studied karate in mainland Japan and eventually brought it back to Korea and mixed it with Taekkyon. That's why styles like shotokan look very similar to tkd but styles like goju ryu or uechi ryu for example don't.

It's funny with Taekkyon - it looks very reminiscent of chinese martial arts. I wouldn't be surprised if it originally made it's way from China because I know in the past Korea was a vassal kingdom to China at various points throughout history. From what I've read online also TSD seems to have played a very important role in the creation of tkd.
thats interesting about Taekkyon. The base looks very similar to TSD which I trained in. The low stance was a very important part and was said to be reason its called a hard style.

thats interesting about Taekkyon. The base looks very similar to TSD which I trained in. The low stance was a very important part and was said to be reason its called a hard style.

And in TKD a great emphasis was on raising the stance slightly to aid in kicking.

That depends on if its traditional Taekwondo or Olympic. Modern taekwondo looks nothing like Shotokan

And in TKD a great emphasis was on raising the stance slightly to aid in kicking.
I didnt allways fight out of a low stance, most of it was just a normal stance. but doing all those forms in a low stance really helped with my leg conditioning. I've had great power in my kicks since then, which I really didnt have as much when I did karate, maybe because we didnt train kicking asmuch.

I didnt allways fight out of a low stance, most of it was just a normal stance. but doing all those forms in a low stance really helped with my leg conditioning. I've had great power in my kicks since then, which I really didnt have as much when I did karate, maybe because we didnt train kicking asmuch.

Yeah it's for streightening your knees (supposedly) Shotokan raises the stance for avanced practitioners 3-4th Dan) , but still slightly lower than an ITF stance. You can compare Kanazawas natural stance with an ITF guy and it's still slightly lower.

Back