Movement

Ilk

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I visited few gyms in my town = kickboxing and boxing ones to see where I can train in the future and I have noticed a new trend in all of them in movement.

If you watch this video regarding side steps you will notice one flowed movement when side stepping.

While this is some good defensive work when even doing simple steps to the side I have noticed they teach that even when moving back or forward. Basically when you move with

My question is is this a good habit to develop?

nice video. Not being able to side step on the way in or way out while punching is an intermediate/advanced issue, not really "beginner".

It is not only what I meant. I do not know really how to explain it. Do you see the movement mechanic of the side step explained here. Your body and hips rotate just like if you hit or slip a punch. Now imagine that you move in or move out and you do the same hip and body rotation without actually stepping to the sides. Basically every of your moves in a hit range does not matter forward, backwards or to the sides happen with such rotation of the body.

This is what coaches teach here and while I can see it work to create flow in the students I really question how reliable is to create such a habit as it looks like it leaves you a bit not in balance.

thats some really good stuff, but the video is too long, it would be nice if they just show alled the steps in a few minutes without all the talking.

Come on guys someone more experienced than me with the striking and especially striking for MMA can advice if that is a good habit to develop? When on a striking range to move like this? Not only to the sides but backwards and forward.Pros and Cons and etc?
I know that the video is good and that is some beautiful boxing.

Come on guys someone more experienced than me with the striking and especially striking for MMA can advice if that is a good habit to develop? When on a striking range to move like this? Not only to the sides but backwards and forward.Pros and Cons and etc?
Try it and see if it works for you?

My question is is this a good habit to develop?

The video content, as well as all Soviet Boxing school, are rip off from film studies of Sugar Ray Robinson.
So you are asking, is it good to develop similar skills? Do you really need an answer ?

yes, its good stuff, learn it.

Back