Move voting age to 21 with gun owning age

I guess . . . I just prefer my daughter not pay higher rent or fees based on her lack of credit history. Hopefully co-signing leases and adding her name to the loan against her car will help.
It helped me.

Dad co-signed on my truck loan to get a better interest rate (dropped form like 12% to only like 4% with him).

First CC I applied for my limit was at $3,500

I get that there are vraibles to quality of purchase -- but the actual act of buying property requires the purchaser to be 18. If your daughter was 20 and won the lottery -- able to buy a house free and clear, i dont think she would be thrilled to have to get you to sign a permission slip.

I get that . . . I don't think I said I was opposed to someone who was 18 buying their property. Just that there might be cases where a co-signer was required for various reasons.

I get that there are vraibles to quality of purchase -- but the actual act of buying property requires the purchaser to be 18. If your daughter was 20 and won the lottery -- able to buy a house free and clear, i dont think she would be thrilled to have to get you to sign a permission slip.
To be fair with how the housing market is there are places in my town that are barely 1000 sq ft going for 500,000.... I don't see many people being able to afford that free and clear.

I get that . . . I don't think I said I was opposed to someone who was 18 buying their property. Just that there might be cases where a co-signer was required for various reasons.

I agree -- but at the base of it, the requirement is 18 and then variables like job, credit, assets

Or keep military recruitment 18, and grant firearm and alcohol rights to those who enlist.
It’s absurd that you can be trained to kill and serve your country but can’t buy beer.

Ok then..

Make 21 years of age the year people are officially adults.
Make military recruitment illegal for anyone under 21.

To be fair with how the housing market is there are places in my town that are barely 1000 sq ft going for 500,000.... I don't see many people being able to afford that free and clear.

The point is, if you were able to -- such as if you landed a solid job at a young age, and you could buy a house on your own merit, you wouldnt want to have to ask your parents if you were 18 -20. Same goes for a car, credit card, etc

Just like if you were 20 , you wouldnt want to have to ask your dad if you wanted to drop a college course in favor for another one

From a civil liberties perspective that looks good to me. From a "weight of children's brains splattered" perspective that drinking age is going to be a problem. I especially like dropping the voting age to 16.

It's a formality at this point and an easing of the burden (on citizens and on taxpayers) of needlessly punishing 18 year olds for drinking when our culture says that you drink in college.

Allowing them to legally drink at 18 would not, if data shows us anything, actually increase the amount that drink. It will just reduce the ones that end up in the criminal justice system for doing so.

Or keep military recruitment 18, and grant firearm and alcohol rights to those who enlist.
It’s absurd that you can be trained to kill and serve your country but can’t buy beer.
Why only for those who enlist? That creates a class of people with more rights.

It's a formality at this point and an easing of the burden (on citizens and on taxpayers) of needlessly punishing 18 year olds for drinking when our culture says that you drink in college.

Allowing them to legally drink at 18 would not, if data shows us anything, actually increase the amount that drink. It will just reduce the ones that end up in the criminal justice system for doing so.

I thought there was a connection between countries with lower drinking ages (canada, various in Europe, Australia) and higher rates of binge drinking among teens 15-19

" Although many young people disobey the drinking age, the evidence shows that it has depressed drinking and saved lives.

The review found the drinking age saves at least hundreds of young lives annually just as a result of reduced alcohol-age-related traffic fatalities among underage drivers. The review pointed to one study after the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, which raised the legal drinking age from 18 to 21: It found that the number of fatally injured drivers with a positive blood alcohol concentration decreased by 57 percent among ages 16 to 20, compared with a 39 percent decrease for those 21 to 24 and 9 percent for those 25 and older. Other studies had similar positive findings.

Chances are the number of lives saved is higher, potentially in the thousands each year, when accounting for alcohol-related deaths beyond drunk driving, such as liver cirrhosis, other accidents, and violent behavior.

The review also pointed to New Zealand, which reduced its drinking age from 20 to 18 in 1999. The country saw significant increases in drinking among ages 18 to 19, bigger increases among those 16 to 17 years old, and a rise in alcohol-related crashes among 15- to 19-year-olds."

Wait? You can die for you country but cant vote?

LMAO

What do the words "shall not be infringed" mean?

I would think teens do more damage in traffic, being able to get their driver's licences early, than they do voting.

It is crazy.

Can join the army, sign ludicrous debt agreements, buy and sell guns, get locked up for life if you do a really wrong thing or have you life ruined if you do a less wrong thing.

But drink beer, no way you are a child.

Purchase sure, debt agreements though?

This makes sense because 18-20 year olds are still essentially children in adult bodies.

If we’re acknowledging that they lack critical thinking ability by stripping them of their right to own firearms , along with their existing inability to buy alcohol, then voting rights removed would complete the transition to second class citizens that this proposed gun ban attaches itself to.

I personally don’t think we should do either, but answer the question “what age is an adult”? If the answer is 18, then all the legal rights that a 40 year old has need to be granted to the 18 year old. But if the answer is 21, then go ahead and call a spade a spade and treat them like the children that a gun/alcohol ban purports them to be.
Why stop there? I say move the legal voting age up to 34 and only allow married, property owning individuals to vote.

I'd support entering and completing a firearms safety and laws course. Then entering your info as a gun owner and keep it updated with firearms you currently own.

For the sole fact it might stop a significant percentage of people from impulse buying out of anger and/or depression.

The gun vendors would hate it because I'm guessing a ton of their sales is contingent on someone impulse buying a weapon they see and and like...

I don't know, just throwing it out there.

It is crazy.

Can join the army, sign ludicrous debt agreements, buy and sell guns, get locked up for life if you do a really wrong thing or have you life ruined if you do a less wrong thing.

But drink beer, no way you are a child.

People are so fucking paranoid about alcohol in America, it's unreal.
Life is too stressful as it is working long hours with only two days off, and only one of those days you can buy alcohol.
We're slaves to this bullshit system!
What happened to freedom?

If she had the means and history, sure, why not?

Predatory lenders are everywhere.

I would not object if reasonable consumer protections are in place and enforced.

As an example at 19 I was offered a $70,000 pre approved car loan when I applied for a $1,500 credit card. I earned $22,000pa.

It's not the product that concerns me it's the debt.

Back