Move voting age to 21 with gun owning age

DragRacer

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
This makes sense because 18-20 year olds are still essentially children in adult bodies.

If we’re acknowledging that they lack critical thinking ability by stripping them of their right to own firearms , along with their existing inability to buy alcohol, then voting rights removed would complete the transition to second class citizens that this proposed gun ban attaches itself to.

I personally don’t think we should do either, but answer the question “what age is an adult”? If the answer is 18, then all the legal rights that a 40 year old has need to be granted to the 18 year old. But if the answer is 21, then go ahead and call a spade a spade and treat them like the children that a gun/alcohol ban purports them to be.

Thats a can of worms -- mostly the ability to sign contractual agreements as an adult. I dont think 20 year olds really want to have go to their parents to buy property, sign school papers

18 is clearly old enough to vote, since voting selects for civic-mindedness. Firearms are a little more complicated. I wouldn't dare say that a 16 year old rural kid who grew up hunting shouldn't own a firearm outright, or that a 25 year old city kid with no shooting experience should be able to buy one no-questions-asked. I think raising the age to 21 is too problematic overall. The issue would be better addressed with training and licensing.

Only homeowners can own guns.

Problem solved.

18 is clearly old enough to vote, since voting selects for civic-mindedness. Firearms are a little more complicated. I wouldn't dare say that a 16 year old rural kid who grew up hunting shouldn't own a firearm outright, or that a 25 year old city kid with no shooting experience should be able to buy one no-questions-asked. I think raising the age to 21 is too problematic overall. The issue would be better addressed with training and licensing.

Agreed with qualification and knowledge testing rather than changing the age requirement

why not make semi auto specific age restriction, or a high velocity semi auto age specific restriction.

the latter is the tougher argument.

a simple age restriction across the board is a NO GO

Man, the GOP is really desperate to swing elections their way.

I'd say the requirements to gun ownership should be rigorous, but 18 should be a fine enough age to be able to own and operate them responsibly.

You're conflating intellectual development with broader cognitive development. 18 year olds are about at or near intellectual maturity, but their brains still have some way to go re impulse control and emotional management. So it would make sense for the voting age to be lower than the firearm owning/military enlistment age.

With that said, I don't want to raise any of them.

My ideal setup:
Voting age - 16 years old

Firearm ownership - 18 years old
Alcohol consumption - 18 years old
Tobacco usage/purchase - 18 years old

Military enlistment - 19 years old

Ok then..

Make 21 years of age the year people are officially adults.
Make military recruitment illegal for anyone under 21.

You're conflating intellectual development with broader cognitive development. 18 year olds are about at or near intellectual maturity, but their brains still have some way to go re impulse control and emotional management. So it would make sense for the voting age to be lower than the firearm owning/military enlistment age.

With that said, I don't want to raise any of them.

My ideal setup:
Voting age - 16 years old

Firearm ownership - 18 years old
Alcohol consumption - 18 years old
Tobacco usage/purchase - 18 years old

Military enlistment - 19 years old
From a civil liberties perspective that looks good to me. From a "weight of children's brains splattered" perspective that drinking age is going to be a problem. I especially like dropping the voting age to 16.

It becomes a problem with 18-20 year olds in the military too.

Like, "I can sign up to get shot at and shoot at people at 18 but can't drink or buy a gun now till I am 21..."
raw

Whenever you're no longer a dependent on someone else's tax return.

high velocity semi auto age specific restriction.
How do you define "high velocity"?

As an example, most AR rounds are supersonic but you can buy subsonic ammo to shoot out the same gun.

Thats a can of worms -- mostly the ability to sign contractual agreements as an adult. I dont think 20 year olds really want to have go to their parents to buy property, sign school papers

We would probably need to sign rental agreements for them at 20 or so anyway. Especially if they don't have a credit history. I've had to sign a couple of rental agreements for my oldest and she turns 20 in April.

In Oklahoma you have to be 21 to get a concealed carry permit . . . I think most folks would freak out (for various reasons) if the age requirement was dropped to 18 or raised to over 21.

We would probably need to sign rental agreements for them at 20 or so anyway. Especially if they don't have a credit history. I've had to sign a couple of rental agreements for my oldest and she turns 20 in April.

Doesnt matter -- they can legally sign the contract at 18. The nuances of it is separate.

Doesnt matter -- they can legally sign the contract at 18. The nuances of it is separate.

I guess . . . I just prefer my daughter not pay higher rent or fees based on her lack of credit history. Hopefully co-signing leases and adding her name to the loan against her car will help.

How do you define "high velocity"?

As an example, most AR rounds are supersonic but you can buy subsonic ammo to shoot out the same gun.
Good question, but ultimately a subsonic semi auto would be far less lethal especially in a 55gr format

unless you are talking subsonic 300 blackout or something similar.

a "velocity" argument ultimately wouldnt hold up most likely.

but neither would an age increase on semi 22lr or semi 12g ect.

maybe a semi auto with "capacity" is the best argument for getting an age increase passed?

I guess . . . I just prefer my daughter not pay higher rent or fees based on her lack of credit history. Hopefully co-signing leases and adding her name to the loan against her car will help.

I get that there are vraibles to quality of purchase -- but the actual act of buying property requires the purchaser to be 18. If your daughter was 20 and won the lottery -- able to buy a house free and clear, i dont think she would be thrilled to have to get you to sign a permission slip.

Back