Mousasi repeatedly getting back to his feet against Weidman......how?

deman

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Honestly, I was shocked. Fuck all those flask KO's, this might be one of the most impressive things I've seen in the Octagon.

We're so used to seeing a guy get taken down by a good wrestler & then spend the rest of the round getting pummeled or trying to limit the damage. When its a top BJJ guy, its hilarious to hear Rogan always say; "FighterX is used to being on his back & is very dangerous from his guard"....& then they get their face pounded in, lol.

They almost never get back up....yet he got back up repeatedly & stopped the guy (nothing illegal about it).

How, what,& why was this different to all the others?

Experience, calm, Chris underestimating him etc.. combination of more things but make no mistake about it it was dangerous could have turned real ugly fast.

Chris hasn't won in years mentally he wasn't at 100% he needs to get his mojo back.

it was quite surprising. he got the "his wrestling sucks" label after King Mo* way back in 2009 or so, and said he'd been working on it since, but we've never really seen his grappling tested. not really.

he passed the transition game test with flying colors.

and for the first time ever, i have to question Weidman's ground game.

weird.

*as if Mo couldn't LnP just about anyone at 185, 205 or HW in 2009.

Moose is underrated. He will be Champ soon. That was pretty sweet to watch, I agree.

Shogun Rua was always really good at getting back up. He's probably the best I've seen.. that helicopter sweep against Machida, and against Jones he probably got back up 10 times

Gerard's the shit and is incredibly experienced. He will almost surely win the belt.

He's already the former Dream, and Stikeforce lhw champ. At the time those were major titles

Rockhold and Romero also repeatedly got back to their feet against Weidman so Weidman must not have the top control he used to have. Also, when both Romero and Rockhold took Weidman down, Weidman was on the bottom until the end of the round.

The body lock he used makes a difference, rockhold used it too. Help that he's a decent size as well.

He just has great ground skills and super hard to get on the backfoot, always fighting back and confident making moves wherever the fight goes, same as Tony Ferguson

Moose is also a judo guy, so it's not like he's never grappled in his life. He's been doing is as long or longer than Weidman.

When Weidman had him down I was thinking well this is how's it's gonna go? I was incredibly impressed by Gegards grappling ,and his ability to get back up was always his weakness, an improved Moose is very scary for anyone.

Mousasi has great butter fly sweeps and deep half guard sweeps as well.

Chris is weak without the vitamins, dude was rocking/knocking people with his less dominate hand (the left), now it looks like I has nothing on it , he looks incredibly weak all of a sudden hmm

If you're impressed with that
Than what Romero did with Weidman and what Whittaker did with Jacare would blow your mind

Gegard has very nice sweeps and a great guard.

Probably the most skilled, complete fighter off his back.

He mauled King Mo for 25 minutes with elbows and punches,
He upkicked Jacare into the 2nd row of the Saitama Arena,
He even took Sokoudjou down off his back without using his hands... one of the most beautiful things I've seen in MMA. (gif someone?)

Don't get too hyped, Mousasi's getting cut & will get beat up by Bellator's top 2.

Before the fight Mousasi said he wasn't going to worry about training TDD. Just drill getting up and striking all day. He worked a lot on how to get up because he knew Weidman would take him down at least a few times.

Gegard has very nice sweeps and a great guard.

Probably the most skilled, complete fighter off his back.

He mauled King Mo for 25 minutes with elbows and punches,
He upkicked Jacare into the 2nd row of the Saitama Arena,
He even took Sokoudjou down off his back without using his hands... one of the most beautiful things I've seen in MMA. (gif someone?)

Found it but he used 1 hand.

mousasi_sweep_sokoudjou_35417_medium.gif

it was quite surprising. he got the "his wrestling sucks" label after King Mo* way back in 2009 or so, and said he'd been working on it since, but we've never really seen his grappling tested. not really.

he passed the transition game test with flying colors.

and for the first time ever, i have to question Weidman's ground game.

weird.

*as if Mo couldn't LnP just about anyone at 185, 205 or HW in 2009.

He actually beat the shit out of Mo from the bottom. You'd think Moose was on top the whole time if you saw Mo's face after the fight.

Yeah it was surprising to see how much emphasis he put on getting up instead of stuffing them.

He opened himself up in being worried about the TD though.

When Weidman had him down I was thinking well this is how's it's gonna go? I was incredibly impressed by Gegards grappling ,and his ability to get back up was always his weakness, an improved Moose is very scary for anyone.

In the past Mousasi was too passive on the ground. He would be totally fine on his back, peppering his opponent from the bottom. The thing about that is, in the eyes of the judges you're still losing the round. I remember he did great damage to King Mo from bottom but just way too passive with almost no desire tp get back up. In his fight against Wiedman Mousasi was fighting like a man possessed. I felt like there was an urgency in his performance. Like a fire was lit under his ass. Which when you find out the situation he was in makes perfect sense.

Back