Mousasi Fanboys: Was this a fluke?

how? hall KOd him as intended. No fluke there
The intention was to land to the stomach. Mousasi ducked into it. It was a fluke. That's not to say that Hall couldn't have gone on to finish Mousasi if the kick had landed to the liver or something, but it was not the intended result. That's like when Katsunori Kikuno ducked into Kevin Souza's jab to the body and got KO'd.

That's a VERY bad analogy. They're trained fighters and control their movements. When they punch or kick like that they have every intention of hurting someone. When you buy a lottery ticket, the buying of the ticket is the only thing you have control over. You're then left praying for help.
"It's NEVER a fluke if someone is trying to do something"

Your words

"It's NEVER a fluke if someone is trying to do something"

Your words

okkkkkk. I'll just roll my eyes and move on. Your lottery ticket analogy was still terrible..

The intention was to land to the stomach. Mousasi ducked into it. It was a fluke.
I used to be convinced of that too.
But Dan Hardy made me reconsider that it wasn't with this analysis
timestamped 2:40

They show how Moose had a predictable pattern of walking Hall down to the fence, throwing a strike or leg kick, then level changing before charging in - time and time again.

Last edited:
Nah. Then all KOs are flukes. I would however bet on Mousasi every time he fights Hall. VS Jacare I think both guys would win some. In a third fight I would bet on Mousasi.
And yes, Mousasi is one of my favourite fighters.

latest

Funny how people cant see the glaring difference in those two KOs.

One is a perfectly aimed and timed kick by Gegard to the jaw of Jacare. Perfect and flawless execution.

The other is Hall throwing a spin kick as Mousasis stomach and MISSING COMPLETELY, but by dumb luck Mousasi happened to duck face first into it. It was not Hall's intention to kick Moose's face at all. He missed his kick and got lucky with freak timing.

at the end of the day a win is a win. But that Hall kick KO is infinitely more flukey.

Why does Moose have so many haters?

Why does Moose have so many haters?
because he openly mocks them, calling them dorks and virgins and shit <45>

Moose is rich outside of MMA and just competes for the sake of competing because hes a badass. He doesn't give a fuck what some dweeb thats never thrown a punch thinks

Both are examples of low percentage/high reward techniques.

I guarantee you both guys have practiced those techniques and threw them with the intent to damage their opponent.
That said both landed with help of their opponent being in the exact right/wrong place.

It's impossible to have discussions such as these one sherdog because people argue what they think a word means instead of the literal definition of the word.

A fluke is an unlikely occurrence or a surprising piece of luck.

The intent does not make it less unlikely. Just because it was your end goal to do something does not mean the outcome was not a fluke if your odds of doing it were low.

In this case both were flukes as they are unlikely scenarios that relied on luck to happen. Sure they tried to achieve that outcome but they would fail in that attempt more often than they succeeded.

It's impossible to have discussions such as these one sherdog because people argue what they think a word means instead of the literal definition of the word.

A fluke is an unlikely occurrence or a surprising piece of luck.

The intent does not make it less unlikely. Just because it was your end goal to do something does not mean the outcome was not a fluke if your odds of doing it were low.

In this case both were flukes as they are unlikely scenarios that relied on luck to happen. Sure they tried to achieve that outcome but they would fail in that attempt more often than they succeeded.

That would make every single KO a fluke since many more punches are thrown then end in knockouts.

That's a VERY bad analogy. They're trained fighters and control their movements. When they punch or kick like that they have every intention of hurting someone. When you buy a lottery ticket, the buying of the ticket is the only thing you have control over. You're then left praying for help.

There is an element of chance in combat (and other) sports as well, however. That's why I never use the Lotto ticket analogy... it's more appropriate to use an analogy like taking a half court shot with a basketball.

If I'm in a competition to see who lands one first, and my opponent is an NBA all star, then the (extremely) heavy odds are that the NBA all star will win. However, it's entirely possible that I win. I might even land the very first shot.

I've practiced half court shots before. I've landed half court shots before. But that doesn't mean it isn't a tad flukey for me to beat an NBA all star in a first basket wins half court shot competition.

And it also doesn't mean that I was "the better basketball player on that day" as so many MMA fans like to put it. I was never a better basketball player than the NBA all star. It's just that sometimes chance steps in and gives you a boost... even when you aren't playing the Lotto.

That would make every single KO a fluke since many more punches are thrown then end in knockouts.

Well... no. Because chance/probability can vary and accumulate.

So, for instance, the probability of any one shot, thrown by any given fighter, in any given fight, landing and ending in a KO is extremely low, as you have noted (maybe 1 in 300-400 or so?).

But the probability of one shot by a particular fighter (Mark Hunt or Rumble, for instance) landing and resulting is a KO could be more like 1 in 50.

And the probability of a KO shot landing at some point, any point, during a given fight, any given fight, is maybe 1 in 2-3 or so, precisely because the numbers of punches thrown in a fight often enter the hundreds, and with each punch thrown the chance that one of them (any one, not one in particular) will land and end in a KO is increased.

All of which is to say that when a trained fighter who gets a KO every second fight scores a KO against a trained fighter who gets KOd every third fight, that really is a LOT less flukey than when a trained fighter who scores a KO every 20th fight scores one against a trained fighter who gets KOd every 20th fight.

Hall, however, does score his share of dynamic KOs, so the example on hand isn't particularly flukey... but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as a flukey KO.

Back