Mounted triangle

The Persian Prince

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What are your opinions on the mounted triangle? I'm fairly new to bjj been training since early June but 5x a week for about 2hrs a day (summer i had nothing to do besides work I'm a college student) I have long legs so it's a go to from guard for me and recently learned how to set it up from side mount/mount but it seems like should you fail you give up good positioning.

Would love to hear your thoughts and/or set ups

What are your opinions on the mounted triangle? I'm fairly new to bjj been training since early June but 5x a week for about 2hrs a day (summer i had nothing to do besides work I'm a college student) I have long legs so it's a go to from guard for me and recently learned how to set it up from side mount/mount but it seems like should you fail you give up good positioning.

Triangles are awesome from anywhere...

Triangles are awesome from anywhere...
What do you do when you get get a good bite behind the neck but they flare out the elbow/arm and you can't lock it up? Depending on their behavior I know there's an armbars possibility but would prefer ways to finish the choke

What do you do when you get get a good bite behind the neck but they flare out the elbow/arm and you can't lock it up? Depending on their behavior I know there's an armbars possibility but would prefer ways to finish the choke

its a good defense if the guy knows how to place the arm, I inmediately switch to reverse triangle, then I have both arms free to work on that arm, if you do not switch to a reverse triangle, its quite hard to work on that arm and control posture...

its a good defense if the guy knows how to place the arm, I inmediately switch to reverse triangle, then I have both arms free to work on that arm, if you do not switch to a reverse triangle, its quite hard to work on that arm and control posture...
oh ok you know of any good videos that show that transition I can't really picture how to switch from the mounted triangle to the reverse.....sorry I'm a two stripe white belt lol

oh ok you know of any good videos that show that transition I can't really picture how to switch from the mounted triangle to the reverse.....sorry I'm a two stripe white belt lol

Oh you mean when you mounted? I personally don't like to finish mounted, look for Caio terra close guard attacks, also if like triangles, Ryan halls dvd set is the best, it will make your triangle 10x better

Oh you mean when you mounted? I personally don't like to finish mounted, look for Caio terra close guard attacks, also if like triangles, Ryan halls dvd set is the best, it will make your triangle 10x better
OK cool thanks alot man I appreciate it

Once again i want to bring up another gracie video, I cant post video cause i am on a tablet but the video is called triangle choke from mount (gracie breakdown). Its a good video because they both show a triangle setup and argue why they like their way more. Imo they're both good I like the direct flight more. Triangles are good from everywhere. Knee on belly, side mount, guard doesnt matter.

Ive been trying to hit them from this position below, where you come up with an underhook in half guard.
Screenshot_2016-09-25-22-20-46.png

Hard to imagine what you're talking about. If you could go in more detail or show an example I could help better

I love to lock it up on top and stay on top but go perpendicular ala ryan hall. I never roll to my back to finish a triangle

Once again i want to bring up another gracie video, I cant post video cause i am on a tablet but the video is called triangle choke from mount (gracie breakdown). Its a good video because they both show a triangle setup and argue why they like their way more. Imo they're both good I like the direct flight more. Triangles are good from everywhere. Knee on belly, side mount, guard doesnt matter.

Ive been trying to hit them from this position below, where you come up with an underhook in half guard.
View attachment 146639
I've seen that gracie breakdown as well my skill sets pretty limited so I kind prefer ryrons method because I feel like it's easier to set up

Hard to imagine what you're talking about. If you could go in more detail or show an example I could help better

I love to lock it up on top and stay on top but go perpendicular ala ryan hall. I never roll to my back to finish a triangle
My real problem with it attacking from Mount and guard is that I often get a good bite on the neck but when I go to lock it up most guys in my gym put there hand on there head/ear and flare the elbow and I can't lock it up just trying to pick people's brain on how they get around it

Stumbled upon a couple videos from Ryan halls triangle DVD it's definetly great stuff

My real problem with it attacking from Mount and guard is that I often get a good bite on the neck but when I go to lock it up most guys in my gym put there hand on there head/ear and flare the elbow and I can't lock it up just trying to pick people's brain on how they get around it

Stumbled upon a couple videos from Ryan halls triangle DVD it's definetly great stuff

Not 100% sure if i know what you mean but if they are just putting their hand to ear or head when you almost have a mounted triangle i would grab their hand or wrist pull it up and use your inner thigh to push their arm across giving you room to lockup the triangle. Armbars there too. If you could show pic would be easier to assess.

View attachment 146639
I love hitting triangles from there and have had tons of success with it. Been doing it since I saw lauzon do it to varner

Not 100% sure if i know what you mean but if they are just putting their hand to ear or head when you almost have a mounted triangle i would grab their hand or wrist pull it up and use your inner thigh to push their arm across giving you room to lockup the triangle. Armbars there too. If you could show pic would be easier to assess.
My original post was more directed at how to finish it from Mount I was getting the bite behind the neck and trying to give up position by falling to my side/back to finish it I haven't got a chance to try to finish it from top position since posting....not sure if I'm saying it correctly but the defense I'm referring to is from guard not mount where they use the flared out elbow to keep you from locking it up I usually keep a hand on the head and on my own shin to control posture

Sorry I'm terrible at explaining this stuff lol

I love mounted triangles and especially triangles from cross body/top side control.

You can shoot triangles from the top in ways where you stay on top and also in ways where you sacrifice the top. I used to prefer to stay on top, and I still do them that way sometimes. But I usually prefer to do them sacrifice style now. Also it's a pretty dominant position so if you don't think you can get the choke from the bottom there are some good ways to sweep back to the top before you let go, or at least let go in a way where you don't get trapped under them.If I were in mma I might shoot them from the top and stay put.

I love mounted triangles and especially triangles from cross body/top side control.

You can shoot triangles from the top in ways where you stay on top and also in ways where you sacrifice the top. I used to prefer to stay on top, and I still do them that way sometimes. But I usually prefer to do them sacrifice style now. Also it's a pretty dominant position so if you don't think you can get the choke from the bottom there are some good ways to sweep back to the top before you let go, or at least let go in a way where you don't get trapped under them.If I were in mma I might shoot them from the top and stay put.
I just stumbled upon ryan hall's video of mounted triangles.that was definetly a game changer how he switched the angles to lock it up from top position. Never occurred to me for whatever reason lol.

What set ups do you like from side/mount I've just been playing with the two shown in rener/ryrons video and one from side our instructor showed

I just stumbled upon ryan hall's video of mounted triangles.that was definetly a game changer how he switched the angles to lock it up from top position. Never occurred to me for whatever reason lol.

What set ups do you like from side/mount I've just been playing with the two shown in rener/ryrons video and one from side our instructor showed
From side mount I tend to do two things. I attack with either the leg side (Terere style) or the head side (Jeff Glover style). Cobrinha is a master at it as well. Here are some examples of each. Glover does both so I'll just link videos of that.

This is probably what most people think of when they think of the classic top side triangle. Terere was a master at this and subbed Marcelo Garcia with it years ago in the gi. You can finish it a few ways. You can fall back to finish it which are the only videos I could find. You can also step all the way to mount with it. Or you can step all the way to mount and keep rolling through back to the bottom on the other side.

Fall back finish

Here's Terere teaching it

And for the head side attack triangle, skip to 4:20. You can see another cool related triangle from knee on belly at 8:03.

Last edited:
in addition to what's been said, I love hitting triangles everywhere. lately I've been playing with them from back control, traditional and reverse.

in addition to what's been said, I love hitting triangles everywhere. lately I've been playing with them from back control, traditional and reverse.
Same here. Watching Gordon Ryan got me into it. Question if you don't mind. When you have the back and you go for the triangle choke do your prefer to shoot your choking leg across their neck and lock behind their armpit (so if they turned into you it would become a reverse triangle)? Or do you prefer to shoot your choking leg from behind their shoulder and lock near their neck (so if they turned into you it would become a regular triangle)?

I almost always do the former. But I broke out Ryan Hall's triangle set and he suggests doing the latter, because of it being harder for their head to slip out. That DVD is from 2009 and he wasn't even a black belt so opinions change. But do you have a preference?

I usually try it this way

3:11:38

Back