Motorsports thread. Discuss any motorsports here

More problems getting through tech inspection before qualifying at Charlotte today. The teams are claiming it's caused by excessive runout in the wheels. They say they can just roll the car off the rack after failing, roll it back on and pass. It's all in which way the rim is oriented. It seems that it's certain teams that have the problem. The teams can buy wheels from several approved suppliers. I found an article about one company that manufacturers their wheels to higher than NASCAR's standards.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/icons/news/story?id=3597838

Maybe some teams are buying from a manufacturer that only meets the minimum standards. The wheels might be lighter and more flexible. It seems like NASCAR should have a minimum weight but wheels could be made with lighter rims and heavier centers and weigh the same. A lighter outside would allow quicker acceleration and deceleration. I suspect some hub and brake rotor choices may also be causing problems.

Super GT putting on another great race. Well worth a watch:

Hinchcliff blows a new Honda engine with 27 laps on it on carb day at Indy. He said it was the fastest it's been. My experience in race engine is that they run the best just before they blow up. It oiled the track down badly in turn 3 so they had to use lots of oil dry.

More problems for Honda at Monaco as the power unit in Alonso's car, being driven by Button this weekend, had to be replaced again. Button will be hit with a 15 grid place penalty. I assume he will only run in Q1 just fast enough to be included in the race.

Is Hamilton shook?

Seems to be. He couldn't get a good position on track. Then the officials pulled him in for a check preventing him from running in Q2. When he got out with only time for one lap a car crashed in front of him. He ended up 14th.

Raikkonen on the pole, Vettel second and Bottas 3rd.

Major race Sunday.
F1 early, Indy 500 next and Nascan in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Major race Sunday.
F1 early, Indy 500 next and Nascan in the afternoon.
Would it ever be possible to do the triple

Monaco, Indy, Charlotte?

Edit: just did the math
Answer: Not without either changing green flag times or help from the air force, and even then you'd need to be supersonic all the way.

Last edited:
Would it ever be possible to do the triple

Monaco, Indy, Charlotte?

Edit: just did the math
Answer: Not without either changing green flag times or help from the air force, and even then you'd need to be supersonic all the way.

It might rain at Indy and Charlotte.

3.5 hours left in the Nurburgring 24hr, then the Monaco Grand Prix, Indy 500 and finally UFC Stockholm. That's me sorted!

When are they going to drop the Monoco "parade" from the Formula One schedule? With this years wider cars there is even less possibility to pass.

Ericsson crashes while running under the Safety car.

Indy polesitter Scott Dixon is lucky to be alive.

Dixon in one of the worst crashes I've ever seen. Car basically split in two when it hit the barrier.
VERY lucky.

Castroneves lost a piece of his right rear fender when he went under Dixon's flying car and his car seems faster without it.

Back